Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES)

1. Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES)

01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
    Even after reading the FAQs on the frontpage, forum stickies and searching the forums this is still very confusing.

The frontpage faq has systems missing on it for one even though they are shown on the scoreboard, such as Super Nintendo.

Many of the links to guidelines on the forums appear to be outdated, with no easy way of telling and some don't even appear to be found on the forum.

Basically, I'm looking for a list of systems that TG accepts scores for, approved emulators for those systems, if emulators are allowed for said system and then general system recording guidelines. I see that most of the general guidelines are on the frontpage faq but like I mentioned there appear to be systems missing from the frontpage that are listed on the scoreboards and I can't seem to track down a full list of approved systems and/or approved emulators as applicable.

This website/forum seems incredibly disorganized and even contradictory in some parts.

So, if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate.
  2. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-29-2012, 01:54 PM
    The best way to tell which systems are being covered is to go to the front page and click on "The Staff". It is mostly current with the exception being Tim M Stodden who recently left or is taking a break. For what ever reason, the Staff page was never updated to reflect this. He was the ref for the following

Game Boy / Game Boy Color
    Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Game Cube
    Nintendo Wii
    Nintendo Wii Virtual Console
    Nintendo WiiWare
    PlayStation 2
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System

There are other refs for some of these platforms but that leaves the rest with no ref. They are

Game Boy / Game Boy Color
    Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Game Cube
    PlayStation 2
    Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Those 7 platforms are added to the even longer list on consoles that Twin Galaxies does not have a ref for, most of which are 8 bit systems and computers. I'd list them but in reality, the only systems before 1990 with a ref right now is the Sega Master System. So yeah, that's a very long list. Rumor has it that there has been refs lined up for these systems since February of last year, 11 months ago, but when a ref leaves, he/she is never replaced. Does it really take 11+ months to get another ref lined up? Let's just say I let people come to their own conclusion.

As far as emulation, there is only one emulator currently accepted. WolfMAME.106 for arcade games. This is due to the fact that you can still get any and every cartridge game for any system. Most are still less than $5 each. TGI tried to track scores on some emulator for the c64, 2600, and spectra for a little while. Due to easy access of the games and the lack of submissions for the emulation, they stopped.

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
  3. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-29-2012, 02:19 PM
    Well, thanks for clearing that up...somewhat. I had read that there were some ref problems and I had also heard there were years worth of backlogged ref applications, which I honestly don't understand either.

It doesn't seem like it's that technical. I mean heck, I'm 30, somewhat an aficionado of both original arcade games and emulators, somewhat familiar with the guts/dipswitches, a tv reporter/producer in real life which means I do a lot of video editing/reviewing and to boot a hobbyist programmer. I figure that would over-qualify me to review video submissions if I wanted to apply. Surely, the requirements are less stringent than that?

There's this impression from past news that Twin Galaxies is the premiere index of competitive game scoring on the web but at the same time it looks like it's falling apart and the drivers are asleep at the wheel.

Is there a better or runner-up version of Twin Galaxies on the web? I saw one website called CyberScore that looked a little "healthier" than TG but it looks like they accept final screenshots for high scores. I would personally advocate for submission guidelines more streamlined and straightforward than TG's but certainly more strict than just submitting a screenshot.

I notice there are a lot of sites these days now carrying javascript game emulators built into the website. It would be neat if one of those sites had high score recording but none that I've seen seem to, although there is an interesting NES emulator called UberNES that has online high score recording/submitting and hiscore tables built into the emu.
  4. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
    Only emu allowed atm is Mame
  5. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-29-2012, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BossGalaga
    it looks like it's falling apart and the drivers are asleep at the wheel.
    Asleep at the wheel is the best description I have heard. This thing does not drive itself. A new driver is definitely needed. This was a great site. I hope it bounces back.

Quote Originally Posted by BossGalaga
    Is there a better or runner-up version of Twin Galaxies on the web? I saw one website called CyberScore that looked a little "healthier" than TG but it looks like they accept final screenshots for high scores. I would personally advocate for submission guidelines more streamlined and straightforward than TG's but certainly more strict than just submitting a screenshot.
    I am unfamiliar with Cyberscore. Retrocade Magazine is newer. It's a Quarterly magazine dedicated to covering all things Retro. Their forums look pretty dead right now but only because it just moved. There's a good bit of 2600 action over there and other scores trickle in. They accept screen shots unless the game can be rolled. Then you need to post a video clip on youtube or somewhere. New scores are printed in their magazine. Cool site, Uber Great Mag, just needs more users. Building a scoreboard from the ground up takes some time.

Their Arcade/MAME competition just started and is running until Feb 16. A little more information can be found HERE! There is a NES tournament to follow that one in Feb.

I personally like tournament structures better than scores boards. You have a limited time to learn a game or show what you know about it. Unlike a scoreboard where you can work on a game for weeks, months, or even years to break a score. Not to downsize the score board here or anything. There are some remarkable scores here and it is the oldest database on top of that. It's just a personal preference. Competition is nice. Dropping a score on a score board that will go untouched for years (and not because it's a super score) is just not as appealing to me.

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
  6. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
    February of last year is when applications were finally opened.

"And falling asleep at the wheel" isn't as apt a description IMO as, "Putting on cruise control and laying back in the seat on an empty tank."
    Please join: International Classic Gaming Federation and GU

Paul's Gamer Zone Arcade/Game room in Canton Ohio. Worth a visit...or 100.

"I say, I say, figures every time I add 2 and 2 I get a four legged smart aleck machine"

Max At Once WR's: 30 2/5/09

Zelda E2Q Progress: 75%
  7. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-30-2012, 01:22 AM
    If you want to play emulators rather than the system itself, head over to RetroUprising. They basically have everything retro, with a high-score mode for every game. Includes NES and SNES, Atari 2600/5200/7800, Coin-op etc etc.

Here's hoping we have some new refs soon.
  8. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-30-2012, 03:28 AM
    If you prefer playing your emulation outside of the browser window, then Home Action Replay Page has plenty to offer. It's a little quiet, though.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  9. Re: Approved Systems/Emulator List? (Some missing, i.e. SNES

01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeo
    February of last year is when applications were finally opened.

"And falling asleep at the wheel" isn't as apt a description IMO as, "Putting on cruise control and laying back in the seat on an empty tank."
    While I wish I could give more insight on the overall topic of more refs, I can't disclose as much as I would like.

What I will say is those refs who are "in the wings and waiting" will understand why things have been waiting once certain things happen. My being sick prevented some things from moving forward (who knew that I'd lose my voice from bronchitis for two weeks...talk about a huge delay in doing ANYTHING).

A lot of folks think things should be really easy, especially where becoming a ref is concerned. It's not. I plan to ask certain folks to allow me to disclose some information so everyone understands a bit better what goes into the decision process, etc. and what has been going on behind the scenes to make things more efficient.

I know, I'm being vague. I hate being vague (though my job in real life makes me very good at it). Everyone knows the struggles with not having refs and wanting to bring more refs on. And I promise it will be taken care of as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Kay
Join us