About trash mail, nothing to do with games...

1. About trash mail, nothing to do with games...

07-20-2003, 12:22 PM
    Hi all I ve been recently getting a lot of trash mail from Nigerian money offers etc to my email thetjt@....

Nothing to do with recent popularity of this site?
    Tried at altavista, google, lycos to find my email address -no results.

Anybody can hint me some commonly used enail search machines? I want out of the "give me 1000usd for **** USD" list

Thanks in advance,

Tommi
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  2. 07-20-2003, 03:24 PM
    This happens to everybody eventually.

Unfortunately this is a scam, and there is no list that you are on. People are using internet "spiders" to go around harvesting emails.

Its like the six degrees of separation rule; one of these "spiders" collects an email address, then copies the emails in this person's address book. It then copies all of those people's adress books, and so on. Its not long before everybody with an email address gets a copy of the scam letter.
  3. 07-20-2003, 03:42 PM
    Hmmm, never heard before about these spiders; you mean like viruses that copy email adresses. In my case I had many of these mails recently, looking to be from different persons. Many fuc, ehrm Nigerians: former presidents son, former generals son in law, former...etc...

Are you sure this is not about leaving my email address somewhere at web? (maybe I should get then all kind of adds too, like at my long forgotten hotmail account).

I have virus protection programs +don't open attachments from strange sources. I only look mails at "preview" of Outlook express. Well, this does not prove that my PC is virus free.

Yesterday I did ask them in reply for 5000 dollars for my banking expenses. Anxiously waiting for response.

TJT
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  4. 07-20-2003, 04:34 PM
    At work at get about one scam e-mail per week, and although it's called the "Nigerian" scam, I've received e-mail from people purportedly from most African countries, the Phillipines, Cuba, Argentina, etc...

I think I get the e-mail (along with my coworkers) because I work for a state government and my e-mail is public information. A lot of these e-mails start with "I got your e-mail over the Internet..." I almost never get such a scam e-mail at home.

These e-mail messages never address me by name yet they are so sure of my reliability that they want me to open up my bank account to them. (Yeah, sure!)

I would never respond to such an e-mail, even as a joke. By responding, these people know that they have reached an actual e-mail address and will keep trying to send you spam. Some scams attempt can be pretty clever. You may think you're smart enough to see through them, but I've almost fallen for one or two. Scary.

-- Richard
  5. 07-20-2003, 07:29 PM
    It is for this very reason I shut down my sniper75 e-mail account and started my new one. I also do not directly publish my new e-mail address, rather I force users to click a button, calling a javascript to "assemble" my e-mail address that they must manually copy and paste into their e-mail client. All that crap in the name of anti-spam... sheesh... :roll:
  6. 07-21-2003, 12:57 AM
    I use Mozilla, which filters my spam into a junk folder. It uses a "smart" system of looking for key indicators of an email beign spam. Every now and then I check the junk folder and it has been 100% accurate thus far!
  7. 07-21-2003, 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    Yesterday I did ask them in reply for 5000 dollars for my banking expenses. Anxiously waiting for response.
    Oh no....that was a mistake.

Actually replying to these spam e-mails is not good. It 100% verifies for them you actually are using that account etc. so they will be sure to spam you even more now as well as selling your e-mail address to others so they can spam you also.
    --Rick Carter
    My streaming broadcast channel: www.justin.tv/permafrostrick
    Likes grinder2112 liked this post
  8. 07-21-2003, 03:06 PM
    If there is one thing I hate (almost more than stupid people :=) it is SPAM!! No more words from me...

QRS - Who is trying to find anything useful in his mail after a few days vacation..... and so far over 1000 spam mail only :(
  9. 07-21-2003, 03:22 PM
    Here's a few suggestions that I have...

1. Use a good "Quite" E-mail service... Hotmail & Yahoo are target for spammers. Consider paying around $15-$30 / yr for a private service[/*:m:34tadcei]
    2. Pick up a Domain name through a domain forwarding service (like Namezero) -- Most sites will provide the service for free.[/*:m:34tadcei]
    3. Set up various "Aliases" (ie TwinGalaxies@yourdomain.com, Ebay@yourdomain.com, ect.) to suit the sites or the people to communicate with. Make sure you set the forwarding address a valid address.[/*:m:34tadcei]
    4. When you start getting spam from a certain alias, retire the address & issue a new address.[/*:m:34tadcei]

This is what I'm doing to avoid the majority of spam. Granted only a few (2-3) pieces find their way into my mailbox, but are squashed quickly & nobody truely knows my real e-mail address.
  10. re...

07-21-2003, 03:43 PM
    From my experience Tommi , if a Nigerian asks you anything , especially through e-mail ....two words of a response will do .

F**k off..

AL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us