Recording for Sega Master System and NES[Question]

1. Recording for Sega Master System and NES[Question]

02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
    Is it permitted to record the gameplay from TV to VCR or is a video camera needed?

Also, are light gun games like Duckhunt/Safari Hunt treated differently when it comes to recording?

Thanks.
    Justin.
  2. Re: Recording for Sega Master System and NES[Question]

02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
    For most games, you do not require a video camera to record. VCR would be fine.

For light gun games... I know I remember reading that DuckHunt requires you to use a camcorder as, at the very minimum, the gun/screen has to be visible at all times.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject can offer some insight.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
  3. Re: Recording for Sega Master System and NES[Question]

02-27-2012, 03:13 AM
    I'm under the impression that any game using a lightgun requires a complete simultaneous recording of the player and the screen. I'd say this because you can shoot the lightgun into a lightbulb and never miss (using Duck Hunt as an example). This wouldnt be picked up using a direct feed through VCR.
    Not 100% on this since Im not a ref but cant think of anything else atm.
    Hope it helps!
  4. Re: Recording for Sega Master System and NES[Question]

02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Recording the average game right to the VCR is a bonus.
    I didn't know about the lightbulb trick. I found a vid on youtube that states in the comments (as you both thought) that Twin Galaxies needs the gun, the screen and the console visible on the recording.

Here's the video. In the description the gamer mentions the TG settings.

Once I've tracked down a camcorder I'll email the SMS and NES light gun refs (to be sure) and post back here.

[Noticed just now that I posted this in the wrong section]

Thanks.
    Boyd.
Join us