What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anyway??

1. What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anyway??

03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
    By default, when you play Donkey Kong in MAME, it renders the game in a 4:3 aspect.

The native resolution, however, is 256x224 - which is an 8:7 aspect. (Snapshots taken by F12 come out in this size as well.)

You can set MAME to play in 8:7, but it defaults to 4:3. My question is, which is "correct"?

My arcade machine looks much more like the "wider" (8:7) ratio, but that might just be because I have my width set incorrectly.

Personally, I prefer it "fat," always have, and that's how I played in MAME before I was doing TG submissions. I left the 4:3 as is for the TG WolfMAME games, and tolerated it, but now that I'm playing mostly on the arcade machine, when I go back to MAME it's just intolerably narrow!

I'd really like to know how the game was "meant to be played" - at its native resolution, or pulled in to 4:3?

I just want to know and get it settled once and for all so that I can switch to the correct one and get used to it! It actually makes a significant difference, particularly when it comes to spring recognition...
    Donkey Blog: the world's first (and probably last) blog about competitive Donkey Kong!
  2. Re: What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anywa

03-02-2012, 08:02 AM
    Well given that you can adjust the Horizontal width on the arcade cabinet, it's pretty hard to nail an exact ratio on the arcade, it's what feels/looks comfortable. But, I do think the default 4:3 in MAME is pretty close.
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
  3. Re: What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anywa

03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
    I set all mame games to 5:4, and notice no difference on arcade.
    Never understood the 4:3 default, much too "skinny".
  4. Re: What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anywa

03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PacWhiz
    I set all mame games to 5:4, and notice no difference on arcade.
    Never understood the 4:3 default, much too "skinny".
    Of course it matter what type of monitor you have also. On older computer monitors, 4:3 looks good, on the newer wide screen, I have it set to 16:9 to get what I used to get with 4:3.
    Donkey Kong (arcade/3 men): 1,108,100
  5. Re: What is the "correct" aspect ratio for Donkey Kong anywa

03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
    I don;t want/mean to hijack a thread but I've just come off of years using non-wolfmame to wolfmame and am seeing a FAT Pac-Man screen.

I cannot get WolfMame to display Pac-Man the same as regular Mame. Best I can get is setting Aspect Ratio to 19:12 !?

Pac-Man native resolution is 224:288 which is 7:9 right ? When I set it to this though it looks way too FAT. Is this actually how it is supposed to be ?
Join us