User Verification has arrived!

1. User Verification has arrived!

05-10-2014, 06:54 AM
    Name:  TGVerified.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  6.7 KB
    Our work on the site has been moving along at a fast and furious pace. There is still a lot to do, but today we are going to be taking our first baby step in regard to the score submission and performance adjudication system.

As stated previously, Twin Galaxies is very focused on bringing more transparency and credibility to the player achievement and world record adjudication process. As such, it is critical that anonymity be eliminated from the system for users/players who want to actively participate and be recognized on the worldwide video game player achievement stage.

What this means is that in order for someone to submit scores, be officially recognized, and build their own credible future base of statistics and information within the Twin Galaxies environment, it is critical that Twin Galaxies maintains proper contact information so that it privately knows who users are – and can specifically verify the accuracy of the information.

This is the definition of a VERIFIED user within the Twin Galaxies system.

Once you become VERIFIED, here are just some of the extra abilities you will receive:

1. CAN CREATE OWN OFFICIAL TWIN GALAXIES PERSONAL BLOG
    2. CAN POST AND PROMOTE EVENTS IN THE OFFICIAL TWIN GALAXIES EVENT CALENDAR (which will show up on the front page)
    3. CAN CREATE / EDIT OFFICIAL PLAYER WIKI (when Wiki becomes available)
    4. CAN SUBMIT SCORES FOR ADJUDICATION (when submission becomes available)
    5. CAN UPLOAD OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIONAL GAME SCREEN IMAGES INTO TWIN GALAXIES SCORE DATABASE

Also:

• Can Post Polls
    • Can Rate Threads
    • Thread Tagging
    • Can upload attachments
    • Can use message tracking
    • Can deny private message read receipt requests
    • Lager Avatar picture allowed
    • Larger profile picture upload allowed
    • Can upload animate profile picture
    • Signatures allowed
    • Can use reputation
    • Can have album and upload photos
    • Can create Groups

Verification is essentially FREE. However, in order to become VERIFIED, you must be a REGISTERED user. Then you must go to the “Verify Me” option and fill out the required fields.

This option can be found on the user “Settings” page, in the My Settings->DBTech-Post Thanks->Verify me.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 4.38.48 AM.png
Views: 1235
Size:  7.2 KB

Once selected, please fill out all the informational fields with verifiable and accurate information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verify.jpg 
Views:	1301 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	647

You will then be asked to call a phone number in order to receive your VERIFICATION PIN.

You must call this number with the phone that has the phone number you submitted to the Twin Galaxies database. The system will need to match the phone you are calling from with the phone number you submitted. If they match, you will become verified!

It is important to note that even after you become verified, the system will periodically check the information you have provided and will require re-verification. If at any point the information becomes unverifiable, your VERIFIED status will degrade to being a basic REGISTERED user and your access will become limited again.

PLEASE NOTE THAT VERIFIED STATUS IS A PRIVILEGE AND WILL BE REVOKED AT THE FIRST SIGN OF ABUSE.
    ONCE REVOKED, IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT TO ACQUIRE AGAIN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

ALSO NOTE THAT SINCE VERIFICATION STATUS ALLOWS SIGNIFICANT OPPORTUNITY TO POST HIGH PROFILE CONTENT ON THE SITE, SERIOUS ABUSE OF THE PRIVILEGE CAN RESULT IN AN INSTANT LIFETIME BAN.

VERIFIED status is intended to bring and encourage a certain level of respect, conduct, and credibility. Twin Galaxies will be working diligently to maintain both the fun and professionalism of the site and verified userbase.

As a refresher, below are the various types of user accounts that are available on Twin Galaxies:

Aside from Admins and Moderators, TwinGalaxies.com has 3 basic types of user accounts. Here is what they are with simplified descriptions of their access levels:

1.) GuestTwin Galaxies has no identity information regarding the user. The user can browse some forums but not participate at all. They can’t see the World Record Database. The user can see the blogs but can not comment, nor have their own. They can see the Official Player Wiki but they cannot create their own or comment on, add to, or challenge anyone else’s Wiki. The user cannot add Events to the TwinGalaxies.com Event Calendar. The user cannot submit scores.

2.) RegisteredTwin Galaxies has the user’s e-mail address only. The user can fully participate in most forums. They can see the World Record Database. They can see and comment on blogs but not have their own. The user can see the Official Player Wiki but they cannot create their own or comment on, add to, or challenge anyone else’s Wiki. The user cannot add Events to the TwinGalaxies.com Event Calendar. The user cannot submit scores.

3.) Verified - Twin Galaxies has directly verified the user’s full name, address, e-mail address and phone number. The user can fully participate in all forums. They can see the World Record Database. They can see and comment on blogs and can create their own. The user can see the Official Player Wiki and they can create their own or comment on, add to, or challenge anyone else’s Wiki. The user can add Events to the TwinGalaxies.com Event Calendar. The user can submit scores for adjudication.

Only by being a Verified user, will someone be able to fully participate in all the things that Twin Galaxies offers. Player recognition and the celebration of achievement are only credible and meaningful if Twin Galaxies and the community at large know who a person is.

Furthermore, when people are not anonymous and instead are accountable, their behavior tends to be more thoughtful and responsible. This is critical for both our Official Player Wiki and our Blog sections.

Verified users posting a Wiki will always know that anyone who is commenting or challenging their Wiki is a real person that has been verified by TG and not an anon troll.
    In this new Twin Galaxies era, everyone is accountable for his or her words and actions.

Special note on the Verified User System:

The “Official Player Wiki” is currently not being made available at this time. Becoming a VERIFIED user does mean that when the Wiki comes online, you will be able to create your own Wiki about yourself. The Official Player Wiki will be ready soon.

Please know that under no circumstances will Twin Galaxies require a fee from users to become VERIFIED. The verification process is specifically about making absolutely certain that Twin Galaxies knows who the person behind a username really is - for the sole purpose of maintaining data credibility and also being able to attribute responsibility of actions taken in the community by that username, to that person in real life.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  2. 05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
    Jace, unsure if this is working right.

I called the number after entering the data in the first screen, got the pin, entered it, hit next, then it is asking me for another pin. I typed in the same one and it keeps going back to the same request for a pin.
    Thanks N/A thanked this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
  3. 05-10-2014, 10:03 AM
    I have noticed that after adding my details in the "Verify me" section, my FULL details have become available on my profile page "as seen by everyone else"
    This is a major concern and needs to be addressed.

RTM, I suggest you edit your profile
  4. 05-10-2014, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    I have noticed that after adding my details in the "Verify me" section, my FULL details have become available on my profile page "as seen by everyone else"

I noticed that as well and as that alone would be not already bad enough you must not even login to see the details. Everyone can see it not only members.

Ok paranoia aside for a moment but if I learned something on the internet then it is LESS IS MORE SOMETIMES in other words never share your full adress with your phone number on a public forum.
    Last edited by KIG666; 05-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.
  5. 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. By default that information should be PRIVATE and not easily viewable on our profile. Or at least give us a setting to toggle the viewability on/off

EDIT: For now I have taken down that info which subsequently has removed my verified status until we have a way to hide that information from the general public
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
  6. 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by d3scride View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. By default that information should be PRIVATE and not easily viewable on our profile. Or at least give us a setting to toggle the viewability on/off

EDIT: For now I have taken down that info which subsequently has removed my verified status until we have a way to hide that information from the general public

This matter has been addressed.

Apologies for any inconvenience.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  7. 05-10-2014, 02:43 PM
    Jesus tap-dancing Christ !! Can't believe my personal information was temporarily available. Thanks for pointing that out, Barra...this is a major gaffe that needs to be quickly resolved.

I tried again moments ago to use that phone number to get the PIN, then enter the PIN and click next, and ANOTHER request for a pin comes up...entering that same number followed by next keeps refreshing the screen and it asks for the PIN again, so something is clearly not working right.

Help, Jace !!

Robert T Mruczek
    Former Twin Galaxies chief referee
    Star Wars classic arcade marathon champion
  8. 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Jesus tap-dancing Christ !! Can't believe my personal information was temporarily available. Thanks for pointing that out, Barra...this is a major gaffe that needs to be quickly resolved.

I tried again moments ago to use that phone number to get the PIN, then enter the PIN and click next, and ANOTHER request for a pin comes up...entering that same number followed by next keeps refreshing the screen and it asks for the PIN again, so something is clearly not working right.

Help, Jace !!

Robert T Mruczek
    Former Twin Galaxies chief referee
    Star Wars classic arcade marathon champion

You were having trouble with the verification system because you were pre-verified prior to system completion. Your information was not exposed to the public because it was not in there at the time.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  9. 05-10-2014, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donatreides View Post
    Not to be contradictory, but I could see RTM's street address and phone number previously.
    Hmm. Will look into this. Thank you.

In any case, hopefully the entire matter is resolved. :)
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  10. 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM
    Hello, im from mexico and I use a celphone because in my house everybody have one and is more cheaper that home phones, so how can I get verified with out make a long distance call?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us