Please separate Robotron Marathon into two: 1-credit and the old multi-credit scores

1. Please separate Robotron Marathon into two: 1-credit and the old multi-credit scores

05-15-2014, 10:45 AM
    Hi Jace,

Here is a copy of the original 1983 TG ruleset which clearly define what TG considered a marathon at the time.
    Section 4 covers in detail that it was fair to restart a game.
    As such, please create separate scoring tracks for confirmed 1-credit play vs. the old scores.

http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-rules.htm

This mini-interview from Eric Ginner in April 2013 confirms his 112million game was indeed multi-credit, too.
    http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com...on/ericginner/

Current era TwitchTV streamed games have shown David Gomez to reach 60million on 1-credit upon getting reset by the famous enforcer explosion glitch.

Ken House reached 100 million on the 1987 Romset without the reset bug.

Those are solid and realistic suggestions for starting the new-era scoring track for marathon
    Also, Steve Ritchie from Stern Pinball (who named Robotron in 1982) suggests calling marathons "enduros" as it is more appropriate, similar to dirt bike enduros.

cheers
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  2. 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM
    I also would love to see this happen. Being able to add another token / credit to the game when it crashed for some unknown reason back in those days is so different from how they play the game today only using ONE credit. Would certainly love to see those scores separated into the correct group.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  3. 05-15-2014, 02:30 PM
    Why not just grandfather the known multi-credit scores? Unless you meant having two separate tracks with the multi-credit one being grandfathered.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  4. 05-15-2014, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by d3scride View Post
    Why not just grandfather the known multi-credit scores? Unless you meant having two separate tracks with the multi-credit one being grandfathered.
    Having them grandfathered was something we talked about a year ago and it's probably what Mark is talking about. There really is no reason to have someone play Robotron and continue to add credits to play on unless they have the old roms that will reset the game. Chances are a lot of people still have those old roms.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  5. 05-15-2014, 07:48 PM
    I might not know what you mean by grandfathered in?

In 1982-83 the simple database we kept of the scoreboard had limited fields, so there was no storage of that criteria.
    It was just a basic data entry program on a Tandy.
    You can see an example of the datafield printout here- http://www.videoparadise-sanjose.com/tg-all.htm

Keeping it simple, the robotron marathon track from 82-83 was set under the umbrella of potentially multi-credit so that labels all entries regardless if it was used. The arcade owner or "verifier" wasn't required to denote things like that when they'd call in scores over the phone or send the little verification signature page. The only way you'd know for sure is if the player was honest such as Eric Ginner in his clear memory. or like in the case of joust in the first Iron Man, that was recorded in stories by Walter that the kid had to play a second game and compile his final score. James V was his name?

somewhere around 85ish, they stopped the multi-credit rule and made it straight 1 game score, but those scores weren't separated out at that time. so you have hybrid results in the original robo marathon score track.

I'm saying just keep it simple. make a new-era 1 credit verified track, that is viewable/twitchable/youtubeable or whatever and let folks re-kindle the fun in what is one of the top competitive games of the golden age.

(the elephant in the room is the questionable nature of some of the Robo scores, and I could care less about that because you can't prove anything one way or the other since it was an era that lacked storage media and easy recording tools. so it is easily moot, if you make a new era score track and leave the old one as historical archive)

This is a very cool old clip of Walter talking about Robotron, that's GREAT historical footage of the excitement of the 80's. So let it be.

TG employee (82-84)
  6. 05-16-2014, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    I might not know what you mean by grandfathered in?
    Sure you do as we talked about this a year ago. :-) Grandfathered just means to keep all the old scores and even have them in the score database but to NOT accept anymore scores this way and to not add the new scores into it either. More or less it's what we called grandfathered as a reference / part of history list to look at only as things were different back then.

Then TG starts a new Robotron variation for 1 credit only marathons. If any of the older scores are known without a doubt to have only used 1 credit then they could be moved to the new variation. That part would be hard to prove though so they are probably better off staying in the old grandfathered list.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  7. 05-16-2014, 04:31 AM
    RIPPER wins the day! Yah, I agree with thinking that is the suggestion to be pursued by Jace.
    Having the original 83 ruleset just solidifies the context of the original "Tandy/phone it in" scoreboard.

On a side-note, I had just learned to type on a computer keyboard the summer of 82, bought a color computer in July with Corn Detasseling money, and started working at TG doing the That's Incredible contest scoreboard probably around the time the school year started up at the end of summer. Looking through that scoreboard spreadsheet reminds me that Walter, Lyle and I were not the best typers. oyeee.

TG employee (82-84)
Join us