ACAM 16 is History !!

1. ACAM 16 is History !!

06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

I'm back home from the 16th annual classic arcade gaming event that just took place at the American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) located within Funspot in New Hampshire, USA.

As always, the event produced a large number of gamers, hobbyists, enthusiasts and more, this year a large crowd of more than 100.

The ACAM staff crafted an assortment of titles that were dedicated to those who had donated titles to ACAM over the years, and between the main event, the manufacturer's event and the mystery games of the day, more than 25 donated titles were competed on until in each category the final rankings were determined earlier today.

Having not attended the event myself since 2011, it was exciting to see so many gamers that I had not seen in 3 years, and in some cases more.

This was the first year in a long while that I competed and qualified for the main event, and at the time that I left to drive home today I think I was in 14th place, but that likely has since changed as historically a lot tends to happen during the closing day of the event.

I can't wait to see the final standings myself !!

Thanks to Gary Vincent and the ACAM staff for pulling off yet another competitive and enjoyable event, and for the Lawton family for making everyone feel right at home at Funspot, as they always do !!
    Likes d3scride, Barra, Jace Hall, RaGe, N/A liked this post
  2. 06-02-2014, 04:27 AM
    Hey Robert, any chance you could answer my questions about FS16 since I couldn't make it out this year :(

I'm trying to play along with Funspot16 and have 3 questions:
    1) Is Bosconian the Namco or Midway version?
    2) Is "Head On" the Gremlin or IREM (with IREM letters in the playfield) version?
    3) Is "The End" the Konami (player below the bricks) or Stern (player above bricks) version?

Thanks very much for your time,
    --Derek
  3. 06-02-2014, 10:13 PM
    Hi Derek:

I wish I could remember 1 & 2, but I know the answer to 3...it was the version with the bases below you.

I'll send a note to Martin Bedard RE "Bosconian" and to Fred Pastore RE "Head On"...I am sure they will know. Will advise once I hear from them.
    Thanks dfonda thanked this post
    Likes dfonda liked this post
  4. 06-03-2014, 04:36 AM
    Awesome!!! Thank you very much :) :) :)
    --Derek

The Namco and Midway versions of Bosconian seem very similar to me, it may just the the OEM/distributor branding.

The Gremlin version of Head On is a blue background and is "landscape mode" while the IREM version has a black background, is in "portrait mode" and reveals I R E M letters around the playfield as you go.
    Last edited by dfonda; 06-03-2014 at 04:38 AM.
  5. 06-03-2014, 05:43 PM
    Hi Derek:

Here is what I found out from Martin RE Bosconian and from Fred RE Head On...

Martin - Bosconian is the Midway version

Fred - Head on is the Gremlin version...Head On is not the IREM version
    Thanks dfonda thanked this post
  6. 06-04-2014, 04:05 AM
    FWIW I've never seen a Namco Bosconian in an arcade cabinet only in MAME.

Steve W
  7. 06-04-2014, 08:37 AM
    Robert, Martin, Fred, Steve, you guys are awesome!!! Thank you very much. :)

Having grown up in new england I remember seeing lots of Midway and Stern games distributed in the region, so I generally assume the Stern and Midway versions are what are found at Funspot.

Thanks again :) :) :)
    --Derek
  8. 06-04-2014, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    The ACAM staff crafted an assortment of titles that were dedicated to those who had donated titles to ACAM over the years, and between the main event, the manufacturer's event and the mystery games of the day, more than 25 donated titles were competed on until in each category the final rankings were determined earlier today.
    What were the tournament games? I've donated a few games to ACAM over the years and am curious. Did they include Crazy Taxi? If not, they totally should've.
  9. 06-04-2014, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTe View Post
    What were the tournament games? I've donated a few games to ACAM over the years and am curious. Did they include Crazy Taxi? If not, they totally should've.
    The games, settings and scores can be found here: http://www.aurcade.com/events/view.aspx?id=127
  10. 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM
    "Crazy Taxi" has yet to make it into the competition, Chris...it could have something to do with the year of the title being post-1987, or maybe it simply wasn't considered yet and maybe will have it's due in the year(s) to come
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us