Twin Galaxies request/suggestion.

1. 07-09-2014, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBando View Post
    And then someone will say "Why trust Walter".
    Hehe, I'm suddenly reminded of being on staff at the time King of Kong broke. :)
  2. 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM
    If cheating is rampant, then make and enforce a penalty.
    We live in an era where people are finding and identifying every possible trick for every possible game, the information that is now widely available is what TGI could use to spot everything as long as the refs are properly educated.

We know how systems work, we know how games work. This isn't impossible.

This is how competition thrives, I honestly can't believe that this was never thought of.
    Last edited by JusticeColde; 07-09-2014 at 06:05 PM.
  3. 07-10-2014, 05:47 AM
    Never said it was rampant... but it was caught often enough in my time here to note it, and never did see those caught doing it penalized in any way.

As I noted, there was someone caught who actually admitted his workaround publicly who had his stuff accepted anyway months after my exit by someone who was aware of the incident. Not only was he not punished, his stuff was accepted and 'verified' anyway. That's concerning.
  4. 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donatreides View Post
    IMHO, if anyone is caught intentionally cheating they should be banned for life.
    I agree, and on top of that their full name, game they tried to cheat on, cheating method used, etc. should be posted here for everyone to see.
  5. 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM
    I do not agree with posting the method by which someone cheated, however I am not very far off from total agreement with everything else. The reason why I would not want it posted, is so that someone else would be able to catch on to what they are doing and be able to replicate the cheating in a way that may not be so easily detected the next time.

I was at a convention last week, and they held a tournament for Duck Hunt. I knew that there was a spot on the screen where one of the overhead lights was reflecting onto the screen, and would guarantee a hit on a duck because of how the nes gun works. If I show someone how the game is being cheated, then by your standards, I should also be banned as well?
  6. 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalPSP View Post
    Never said it was rampant... but it was caught often enough in my time here to note it, and never did see those caught doing it penalized in any way.

As I noted, there was someone caught who actually admitted his workaround publicly who had his stuff accepted anyway months after my exit by someone who was aware of the incident. Not only was he not punished, his stuff was accepted and 'verified' anyway. That's concerning.
    This is why with having educated refs, penalties are needed. What point would there be to have a ref if they can't penalize misconduct?
    TGI needs a set of rules for penalties and specific levels of penalty, kinda like what the NFL does for in-game penalties (and without the constant yearly rule changes for no reason).

Quote Originally Posted by freeko View Post
    I do not agree with posting the method by which someone cheated, however I am not very far off from total agreement with everything else. The reason why I would not want it posted, is so that someone else would be able to catch on to what they are doing and be able to replicate the cheating in a way that may not be so easily detected the next time.
    Exactly. The 'EXPOSED!!' mentality has no place in TGI's type of competition. Like I said, we live in an era where people know more and more about how games and systems work. The information that they have can help everyone spot the act of cheating and point it out almost immediately.

Nobody should be called out for knowing how a cheat works if they are noting that it's happening.
  7. 07-11-2014, 12:03 AM
    Personally, if I found something amiss in a submission that was sent to us. I sent it to one of the other refs and let them pass final judgment on it. I would note what and where the problem was, and if it was something that I thought possible or not.

If it was completely obvious that the cheating was intentional, the submission would just get flat rejected. The person would get noted for it, and any further submissions would be summarily disallowed if this person were to attempt to cheat again. This is the only part of things that I have any opinion on.

I have seen submissions where someone was cheating within the game. The question always comes down to intent. Was it obvious that they knew they were breaking the rules for their own benefit? Not always. Rejected submissions happen, and I even recall a situation where another referee sent me a submission that they had rejected, believing that the submission was a cheat of some form. I told this referee that I could recreate everything for the most part that was done on the submission, and it was all perfectly legitimate in my opinion.

See where this is going? Just because I think it is cheating, may not mean it is cheating. I may just not be aware of some method that the player was using, that could be perfectly legitimate, to achieve their score. If for no other reason than this, it should be obvious that more than one referee be responsible for any submissions that are made. This way, you avoid the past stigma that certain referees maybe allowed not so legitimate scores to be entered as records as well. Unless the corruption was system wide, this would not be a likely thing to happen.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Join us