Article: The End of an Era. A New Future Awaits.

1. 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by freeko View Post

*Rudy and Caroline are being unbanned when? If all is forgiven, then that must be as well.

**Nevermind the trbunal system that was implemented to remove them was so very similar to the backalley deals you mention in this article.

***You also outright admitted that neither of them did anything wrong according to twin galaxies rules of conduct.
    *When Jace bought TG he basically said "All is forgiven from the past, let's work on the future." And after that was Rudy and Caroline's actions.

**How is a system that is in public "backalley"?

***And the TOC has nothing to do with the forum tribunal system.
  2. 07-17-2014, 02:26 PM
    Rudy and Caroline are being unbanned when? If all is forgiven, then that must be as well. Nevermind the trbunal system that was implemented to remove them was so very similar to the backalley deals you mention in this article. You also outright admitted that neither of them did anything wrong according to twin galaxies rules of conduct. I could certainly bring forward "dirt" of all kinds on a great number of people, though I choose not to as it is not going to do anyone any good to do so.

Hopefully this is not the first double standard that someone can hold against you. As much as someone wants to just drop the past, there is something to the name. Go out and ask people what their opinion of twin galaxies is, and you will see that this one letter is simply not enough to change their opinion. Hell, I was in Iowa last year at the ICON gallery trying to do exactly that during the art expo.

Now, I hold judgment on things until I see the end result. I will not criticize the cuisine before it is served if you will, but I certainly will form my opinions however on the way I see things going. So far, I have seen a database get restored (again), that if a certain someone didnt blow the whole thing up when they pulled the plug on it, could have saved everyone alot of time and effort.

So I hereby challenge you Jace. You need to prove, day in and day out, that this is not just more lip service and the same old same old. The only one here that can change anything is you. Actions outside your influence are outside of your control. This article, as much as I want to belive it, has been done before. I remember writing the one from the previous regime that went very similar to this one, albeit no where near as long. Show us all why this will be different from the past.
    To be crystal clear: There is no double standard and there is nothing to hold against me. You should re-evaluate your perspective on this.

Forgiveness is genuine and is for the old TG era, and everyone involved in it from the players to the staff. The system of the older eras evolved to be set up in a manner that unintentionally caused problems and everyone and everything fell victim to it over time, including TG itself. The whole article is specifically about that historical time period and that is all. Rudy himself was forgiven right from the launch of the new TG, his access to TG granted back to him (previous eras had him banned.)

You are correct in that I have stated that Rudy and Caroline did not break any TG policy. If they had, they would be BANNED. They are not banned, they are COMMUNITY RESTRICTED - which means they can access the site, read the postings, but not post any content to the site itself. They can not communicate with the community on this site, because the collective community has made it clear that it is not interested in their participation in the conversations here.

Rudy and Caroline will not be unrestricted until the community nominates and votes in that change. For policy violations, the new era has no forgiveness. You are given a clean opportunity and if you blow it, too bad. Poor behavior now, is judged on its own merits. Rudy's and Caroline's community restrictions are the result of the community participating NOW, judging their recent behavior on the forums - not their historical pre new era behavior.

Hopefully that clarifies the matter.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  3. 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
    An extremely thoughtful and inspiring piece!

TG's future is so bright, I gotta wear shades!
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  4. 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM
    Does anyone feel a sence of relief after this post? I do. Then there was also a post on Facebook that made it even better. Ahhhh. After 5 years, I believe now the turning point has come, when we are back to gaming.

Just play video games and go for high scores.
    Likes Ripper liked this post
  5. 07-17-2014, 04:05 PM
    The vibe I'm gathering here is that Jace Hall is the old police chief making the bold "We don't negotiate with terrorists" speech.

And for that I say go on you. Don't let the threats of what possibly is/isn't on those forums dictate what you needed to do.
  6. 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM
    Making a mistake on banning someone and giving them extra permissions is not a crime in the UK. Copying a forum post and posting it somewhere else is not a crime in the UK. Fair Use would be a very, very good defense in court, and works about 99% of the time, especially if the forum posts are derogatory or defame someones character.
  7. 07-17-2014, 06:05 PM
    Large ban hammer in 3.....2......1.......
  8. 07-17-2014, 07:58 PM
    Rudy and Caroline are being unbanned when? If all is forgiven, then that must be as well. Nevermind the trbunal system that was implemented to remove them was so very similar to the backalley deals you mention in this article. You also outright admitted that neither of them did anything wrong according to twin galaxies rules of conduct. I could certainly bring forward "dirt" of all kinds on a great number of people, though I choose not to as it is not going to do anyone any good to do so.

Hopefully this is not the first double standard that someone can hold against you. As much as someone wants to just drop the past, there is something to the name. Go out and ask people what their opinion of twin galaxies is, and you will see that this one letter is simply not enough to change their opinion. Hell, I was in Iowa last year at the ICON gallery trying to do exactly that during the art expo.

Now, I hold judgment on things until I see the end result. I will not criticize the cuisine before it is served if you will, but I certainly will form my opinions however on the way I see things going. So far, I have seen a database get restored (again), that if a certain someone didnt blow the whole thing up when they pulled the plug on it, could have saved everyone alot of time and effort.

So I hereby challenge you Jace. You need to prove, day in and day out, that this is not just more lip service and the same old same old. The only one here that can change anything is you. Actions outside your influence are outside of your control. This article, as much as I want to belive it, has been done before. I remember writing the one from the previous regime that went very similar to this one, albeit no where near as long. Show us all why this will be different from the past.
    Jesus freeko, you blew any possible credibility you had with your "insightful" posts on the last owners forums. Have you got that super sweet corporate sponsorship deal for your classic arcade gaming career yet ;)

I was never really involved in the community directly as I either ran or helped run emulation sites so this doesn't really affect me in any way however this IS yet another positive step for TG and the future so can only be applauded.

I'm more interested in being able to submit world records AND for TG to reacquire Guinness recognition. This process is taking an age...yes I know a lot of work required and all of that but it's still frustrating for some of us.

In the meantime I'll continue to occasionally pop in to catch up on the organisations progression and hopefully in some unknown future time be able to submit world records =)

Cheers,
    Brad
    Likes Jace Hall, Ripper liked this post
  9. 07-17-2014, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by unclechicken View Post
    Making a mistake on banning someone and giving them extra permissions is not a crime in the UK. Copying a forum post and posting it somewhere else is not a crime in the UK. Fair Use would be a very, very good defense in court, and works about 99% of the time, especially if the forum posts are derogatory or defame someones character.
    This statement is actually incorrect. Fair Use does not cover illegally obtained information. Just like a situation where a grocery store clerk leaves to go to the bathroom and accidentally does not close the cash register all the way. Just because you can easily reach in and take the money that is in plain sight in front of you does not entitle you to fair use of it. Legally, you can stand there and stare at the money all day long while the register is open, however it is a crime to reach in and take the money home, regardless of how easy it is and even if there is no one there to stop you. The money is not yours. You have stolen it.

Fortunately, the UK has numerous and specific laws that proscribes obtaining information without authorization or in excess of authorized access from a protected computer; and it also has harsher laws that proscribes accessing a computer without authorization or in excess of authorized access with an intent to defraud and obtain value. The act is criminal.
    I know this is the situation because I have recently paid to know this. The UK is actually much harsher than the U.S. in many ways when it comes to computer crimes. It's very interesting.

But there is no need to get into that discussion. That is for the lawyers to handle. You had an interesting theory though!
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  10. 07-18-2014, 05:18 AM
    Well said Jace Hall! I tell people all the time, when the TG conversation comes up, that TG is in really good hands!

As I read this blog I really can tell you have done your homework. When you mention all the past referees and how they had to spend countless hours verifying scores for FREE, it's like you were actually there and went through it yourself. Yes, we did things like that for many different reasons from just wanting to see TG thrive to wanting to be the verifying referee to accept a WR on Donkey Kong or Pac-Man to just doing it for the love of the games! After time it also became my 2nd full time job. I would sometimes come home to see 4 new arcade replays sitting on my coffee table, meaning I needed to get them done ASAP because I could see the same amount the next day and possibly fall behind. Working a full time job, raising two kids, finding time to do homework with my kids AND having a good relationship with my wife was also in the equation. So what I'm getting at is some negativity sometimes came my way because people wanted to know why their score wasn't added sooner than a few days or even a week. People also submitted MAME scores by the hundreds and it would fall behind in a matter of just days. Variations needed to be corrected as they were discovered to be incorrect (dip settings) or corrected as a gamer would mention a certain cheat that could be used in a game. New variations were also added when I could find the time. And dealing with some negative comments here and there were hard to handle because I was working so hard to do all the right things and sometimes I simply felt it wasn't appreciated enough.

So I can truly relate to what your saying Jace! And in summing this all up... if I could go back in time, would I do this all over again? Absolutely, 100% YES!
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
    Thanks gavv, Megamatt79, Jace Hall thanked this post
    Likes gavv, Megamatt79 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us