12th Annual Vacation at Funspot/ACAM !!

1. 12th Annual Vacation at Funspot/ACAM !!

11-14-2014, 11:10 PM
    Hello fellow gamers:

Will be at my favourite vacation spot for the 12th consecutive November...12 years older, and hopefully 12 years wiser at playing my favoruite titles.

Planning on putting some serious hurt on the "Pandora's Palace" WR while there, and as always trying my best at a couple of other cherished titles.

Maybe I'll see some of you there this coming week. Less hectic than the annual event and no waiting on a line to play a title. It's the perfect time of the year to attend...play at your own pace and no waiting.
    Likes N/A, datagod liked this post
  2. 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM
    Hi Robert,

Look forward to seeing you again. I played some Pandora's Palace last year, it seems like a fun game. Hopefully you can show me some tips. The plan is to take back the 2P 1943 record and maybe killscreen Crazy Kong or 1CC Twin Cobra.

Brendan
  3. 11-25-2014, 09:05 PM
    Hello Brendan:

I managed to up my "Pandora" record to 729K...I can do much better. I have a 1.1M on MAME and even that is not as much as I know I can do. Will try again next ACAM event.

Robert
  4. 11-27-2014, 02:37 PM
    Getting better...hopefully I'll log 1M+ at the next ACAM event in May/15 Name:  pandoras.png
Views: 57
Size:  1.6 KB
    Likes Barra liked this post
  5. 12-05-2014, 07:45 PM
    Name:  pand0000.png
Views: 60
Size:  1.6 KB

Going to set a new WR at this title at the next ACAM event, that's for sure :)

But it's a LONG way off from the 5M marathon record my friend Jon set a few years back on MAME !!
    Last edited by RTM; 12-05-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Wrong attachment
    Likes Barra liked this post
  6. 12-06-2014, 04:58 PM
    Hey Rob.

Nice score.
    Out of curiosity how long would a 5M+ game take?

Thanks
  7. 12-06-2014, 07:36 PM
    Hi Andrew:

Unsure at present and here is why.

In each of the four unique stage types of PP there is a secret to obtain...one is an extra life, one is a 5000 point frog, the third is a 10,000 point dragon, and the final one is a 5000 point money bag.

Outside of the 1st stage and possibly the 6th if you are daring, going for the extra life is very risky and you can lose a life in pursuit of one. And the money bag is risky even in the first stage within which it appears.

The frog is the most do-able followed by the dragon, however in the advanced stages, staying around to smell the roses and trying for these requires an improved skillset which I am still working on. I've seen what it takes to go for these, and the points are definitely worth it, but they come with a huge risk as the stages advance.

Every stage outside of the bonus rounds also offers a chance for a 5,000 point green skull bonus item. In later rounds, playing safely, I completely avoid this in two of the four stage types. And yes, going for these carries much additional risk.

I score at a pace of about 85% of what is possible per stage, but I tend to exit two of the stages quickly instead of sticking around for the extra points. Thus, based on my safer method, I probably zoom thru stages faster than the current WR holder did, but acquired less points in the same duration.

Jon's 1.2M score on MARP is still watchable and his 5M pace is about the same. I'd say watch that one and time it, then multiply by 4 to be sure. It's been a good 5 years or more since I watched his 5M marathon MAME performance on behalf of TG so I can't be sure. But whatever that pace was, I am likely 5-10% slower between getting less points per stage and also exiting faster per stage.

It's fun title in that maximum difficulty is reached in the 5th loop, and there is no definite pattern to any stage...just tactics, some of which work better than others.
  8. 12-06-2014, 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the in-depth answer. I am very unfamiliar with this title but in my limited playing of it, it does look a decent game.
  9. 12-06-2014, 10:16 PM
    Just an FYI
    JsD's 1,276,810 MARP submission was approximately 215k frames, equating to about an hour of play.
  10. 12-07-2014, 12:31 AM
    Thanks for checking !! That translates to around 4 hours to get 5M at Jon's pace and probably 4.5 hours at my pace.
Join us