Article: Preview of Twin Galaxies’ Score Submission and Adjudication Process

1. 11-24-2014, 11:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBando View Post
    Will there be a way to appeal a accept/reject final ruling? There are times where you can show a group a gameplay video and of the 10 who watch it only 1-2 "get" what happened.
    This question is similar to RTM's concern about
    a very informed individual that may have good reason to validate a score that multiple uninformed gamers rejected. Their single "voice" could be lost in the masses as a result. And anyone who has seen "Twelve Angry Men" knows how difficult it can be to hold the dissenting opinion.
    My response was that he was correct that a very informed individual may have good reason to want to validate a score that multiple uninformed gamers rejected after adjudication. The possibility of this occurrence will be extremely rare due to the nature of the voter weighting system, however it is possible. The reverse of the described scenario is also true. A very informed individual may have a good reason to INVALIDATE a score that multiple uninformed gamers accepted.

To address these scenarios there is a post-adjudication challenge system that is being implemented. Since these scenarios are the exception to the norm, this secondary system will be enabled only after the primary adjudication system is functioning normally, with good understanding of the participants. It is important not to overwhelm everyone.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  2. 11-25-2014, 12:48 AM
    In the old system, video was required with dead-air, boot up, relevant menus shown, etc. If a gamer wanted to make attempts at multiple scenarios from one gamer (think Guitar Hero series, for example) the gamer was encouraged to continue capturing the same footage and submit one video for multiple submissions. Does this system cater for this scenario or does the gamer have to upload the same video evidence repeatedly?

Similar scenarios with the same outcome: there are multiple variations which mutually occur: Pac-Man score and fastest perfect mutually occur at the same time, for example (there are lots of games which have such mutually ocurring multiple variations). Different angle, same question: does this system cater for one video, multiple submissions?
    Last edited by Barthax; 11-25-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  3. 11-25-2014, 12:50 AM
    As this whole process is on a community-approved basis, what happens when the community approves of submissions that disagree with the rules in question?

How does this system cope with the many hidden rules of the bygone era? Rules such as no wall riding on standard racers? Who will be amending rules when the community approved process alters how they should be interpreted?
    Last edited by Barthax; 11-25-2014 at 12:52 AM.
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  4. 11-25-2014, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    The system physically and programmatically does not work like that. So you need to tell the cynic in you that it needs to be more logical about the logical process.

How long you have been an adjudicator has no programmatic connection to your score submissions.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have picked up on it in this thread, here's the quoted section which suggests your answer isn't clear vs. the statement(s) in the article:

This means for every score performance that you submit, you must have CORRECTLY adjudicated a certain number of other people’s submissions.
    Any clarity?
  5. 11-25-2014, 01:05 AM
    I'm going to get the world record on Donkey Kong Arcade and then just take a picture of my final score and submit it and piss everyone off for totally avoiding all of the previous crazy rules which took like 30 min of prep time to film before even starting the game. LOL
  6. 11-25-2014, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erockbrox View Post
    I'm going to get the world record on Donkey Kong Arcade and then just take a picture of my final score and submit it and piss everyone off for totally avoiding all of the previous crazy rules which took like 30 min of prep time to film before even starting the game. LOL
    You can do that, but I doubt that the voting peers will consider it a valid score performance and therefore reject the submission outright.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  7. 11-25-2014, 01:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    In the old system, video was required with dead-air, boot up, relevant menus shown, etc. If a gamer wanted to make attempts at multiple scenarios from one gamer (think Guitar Hero series, for example) the gamer was encouraged to continue capturing the same footage and submit one video for multiple submissions. Does this system cater for this scenario or does the gamer have to upload the same video evidence repeatedly?

Similar scenarios with the same outcome: there are multiple variations which mutually occur: Pac-Man score and fastest perfect mutually occur at the same time, for example (there are lots of games which have such mutually ocurring multiple variations). Different angle, same question: does this system cater for one video, multiple submissions?
    Your submission is assigned to a particular track. The evidence that you must provide must be for that track and not other tracks. The fact that your evidence supports a record on a different track is not relevant. Some tracks are created with multiple variations, such as Perfect Pac Man Score with Fastest Time - so that would be a single track to submit to.

This general separation is done to prevent confusion and to allow every score going into the database to have its own supporting evidence file on a standalone basis.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  8. 11-25-2014, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have picked up on it in this thread, here's the quoted section which suggests your answer isn't clear vs. the statement(s) in the article:

Any clarity?
    I'm not sure how you get a TGSAP record recognition correlation from the statements you are referring to.

The statement was that the inner cynic thought that "TG will only recognise records if the gamer has been a long-standing adjudicator."

The length of time that someone has been adjudicating does not relate to the recognition of records. I'm not sure what to clarify.

There is a Submission To Adjudication Ratio (STAR) that you must maintain in order to be able to submit. Once submitted, scores are processed and recognized regardless of how long-standing of an adjudicator someone is.

The reason that the length of time is not relevant is because the STAR only measures CORRECT adjudications, not just the simple fact that someone adjudicates. So you could theoretically adjudicate all year long and if you are never correct, your ratio will never change. If you theoretically adjudicate for 10 minutes and are correct, your STAR is maintained. So time length is not relevant at all - just accuracy.

This system is designed to prevent score submissions from exceeding adjudication capacity. It is not about length of time at all.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  9. 11-25-2014, 02:18 AM
    So the days of mailing in submissions are officially dead?

I still have lots of footage on VHS tapes. I was wondering if I could be able to play the VHS tapes, and then film the footage of the television playing the prerecorded game with a video camera to then upload to the internet for verification? I think there's a way to do this with a 3ds. I know I can take videos with a 3ds, but I've never uploaded anything online in my life. Also, I think the 3ds camera only works for about ten minutes, so would posting like 20 10-minute clips for one single game be something that would be frowned upon?
  10. 11-25-2014, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBledsoe View Post
    So the days of mailing in submissions are officially dead?

I still have lots of footage on VHS tapes. I was wondering if I could be able to play the VHS tapes, and then film the footage of the television playing the prerecorded game with a video camera to then upload to the internet for verification? I think there's a way to do this with a 3ds. I know I can take videos with a 3ds, but I've never uploaded anything online in my life. Also, I think the 3ds camera only works for about ten minutes, so would posting like 20 10-minute clips for one single game be something that would be frowned upon?
    All you need is something like this:
    Name:  EZ-CAP.png
Views: 77
Size:  30.5 KB

It plugs right into your computer and you plug your VCR right into it. Your computer will record what your VCR plays. It is way less hassle than what you describe above and you will only have one file to upload.

The device only costs $10.99 - which is less than a good video tape and the cost to mail it.

http://www.amazon.com/EasyCAP-AS-EZ-CAP1-Video-Capture-Audio/dp/B00HTRXHEI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1416915639&sr=8-18&keywords=ez+capture

Hope that helps.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us