Arcade - Mario Bros. - Points [Single Player Only] - 5424920 - Steven Kleisath

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 01-07-2015, 04:00 PM
    Having never gotten anywhere near this score in MB, I was always under the impression that the game repeated at phase 99 and not 98 as shown in this video. All research that I could do online also points to there being a phase 99. Can somebody please explain this discrepancy to me?

Thanks,

Dane Tulllock
    Marine Biologist, Arcade Collector, Outdoor Nut, Amateur Chef
    Robotron 2084, Double Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr Cocktail, Pengo
    Robotron High Scores: Difficulty 5 Marathon Score - 54,144,225; Difficulty 10 Marathon Score - 1,189,850; TGTS Score - 470,975; VKE Score - 620,575
  2. 01-07-2015, 04:37 PM
    It stops at phase 98 for some reason and not 99. No kill screen on this title but it's another one of those deals where Nintendo thought NOBODY would ever make it that far. LOL
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  3. 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM
    So Im still confused. Does Mario Bros typically stop at phase 99 and this game stops at phase 98 "for some reason" or does Mario Bros ALWAYS stop at 98? Again, my apologies as I have never gotten this far in the game.
    Robotron High Scores: Difficulty 5 Marathon Score - 54,144,225; Difficulty 10 Marathon Score - 1,189,850; TGTS Score - 470,975; VKE Score - 620,575
  4. 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterborn2O2P View Post
    So Im still confused. Does Mario Bros typically stop at phase 99 and this game stops at phase 98 "for some reason" or does Mario Bros ALWAYS stop at 98? Again, my apologies as I have never gotten this far in the game.
    Dane the level counter stops changing at 98 but the game can continue indefinitely. At 98 it's basically repeating the same 4 or so boards over and over already, but the counter always says 98. Steve would have gone through hundreds of boards like this. I hope this helps. I'm not much of a player, but have watched a lot of it streamed :)
  5. 01-07-2015, 06:00 PM
    It goes through a set of 6 phases and then the bonus. It starts over like this every time in the later rounds. Just not in the beginning. This is correct for the arcade version and mame, which is the arcade version as well. This is totally legit.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  6. 01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
    Cool, similar to Robotron (which basically has 40 hard coded waves that repeat in various patterns) on a smaller scale. just saw many online references to phase 99, so I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something.

Great game BTW Steve!
  7. 01-08-2015, 04:50 AM
    Figured I'd sign on here and give the credit where it's due. Great job again, Steve! Easy Yes vote from me.
  8. 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timhett View Post
    Dane the level counter stops changing at 98 but the game can continue indefinitely. At 98 it's basically repeating the same 4 or so boards over and over already, but the counter always says 98. Steve would have gone through hundreds of boards like this. I hope this helps. I'm not much of a player, but have watched a lot of it streamed :)
    This is correct. The Japanese romset actually counter stops the level at 99. The reason the US romset used by TG stops the level counter at 98 seems to be that the Japanese version has an extra "level 2" before the first challenging stage which is of intermediate difficulty between level 1 and level 3. The US version had code added to skip that level. I strongly suspect that the US romset skipping that extra level 2 explains why the US version maxes the level displayed at 98 while the Japanese version maxes at 99.

Regardless, the behavior shown in the video where the displayed level counter maxes at 98 is perfectly normal and expected. As others have said the game still continues playing after that and you continue getting a loop of 6 max difficulty screens and a bonus stage.

-George
  9. 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrain View Post
    This is correct. The Japanese romset actually counter stops the level at 99. The reason the US romset used by TG stops the level counter at 98 seems to be that the Japanese version has an extra "level 2" before the first challenging stage which is of intermediate difficulty between level 1 and level 3. The US version had code added to skip that level. I strongly suspect that the US romset skipping that extra level 2 explains why the US version maxes the level displayed at 98 while the Japanese version maxes at 99.

Regardless, the behavior shown in the video where the displayed level counter maxes at 98 is perfectly normal and expected. As others have said the game still continues playing after that and you continue getting a loop of 6 max difficulty screens and a bonus stage.

-George
    Good stuff George! Years ago, you and I also talked about the Japan rom playing on a different difficulty. I'm not sure if we decided it was on hard, hardest or in-between hard and hardest? It's different though.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  10. 01-08-2015, 09:27 AM
    I just wanted to say that it's really cool to be able to view the records in this way. I do not know enough about Mario Bros to vote, so I will abstain. Congrats on the record!
    I like to destroy games... especially the ones with Mario in them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Join us