Arcade - Mario Bros. - Points [Single Player Only] - 5424920 - Steven Kleisath

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Arcade - Mario Bros. - Points [Single Player Only] - 5424920 - Steven Kleisath

01-05-2015, 02:57 PM

[Edit:] Video performance properly inserted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TWIN GALAXIES; 01-22-2015 at 06:30 AM.
  2. 01-05-2015, 03:59 PM
    I'm accepting this score simply because I know this game really well and know the difficulty is correct and for the fact I sat at work and watched the entire game already.

Nice score!
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  3. 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM
    I had the pleasure of watching this run at work today as well. Great job Steven!
  4. 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM
    Great run Steve!!! Nice detail in the post game filming of the dip switches and cab. Was going to downvote, but you did manage to have a face shot in there Kappa. All that dedication finally paid off. Congrats again on you new WR for this track!!!!
    www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ9T2XXtI1da6onT_U-2u0Q

Intrepid (Arcade 5-man) 230,960 WR
    Likes Barra liked this post
  5. 01-06-2015, 04:45 AM
    I know this is yet another incarnation of the "NEW TG" - but what is the purpose behind putting 3 credits into the machine? This prior to the last take over of TG was not on.

I'm a fairly crappy player of Mario Bros. and my knowledge of the game is that the number of credits will not make one difference to the game play. Added to that, I know how good both yourself and Stephen Boyer (Ripper) are at this game, and if you say adding additional credits doesn't make a difference, then I'll take your word any day of the week.

The now very old rules stated it was one credit one play, when did this rule change? why are we complicating the adjudication process by allowing changes to this rule?

I'm not going to vote either way on this. I believe (and I'm not having a go at your Steve, I think the score is valid) it should be one credit one play for all games, and a reset in between attempts.

Same goes for console attempts - it's a pain in the arse, but it should be a reset before each and every attempt. We can not possibly know how games react after they have been loaded into memory, and as much as possible we should be insuring that every record is on par with what other gamers did.

I don't mean any disrespect to your score, it just seems like all the prior TG rules have been abandoned, some of them seemed over the top, but they were the rules we all played by and I don't understand why all of a sudden we get to ignore them.
  6. 01-06-2015, 04:47 AM
    I know this is yet another incarnation of the "NEW TG" - but what is the purpose behind putting 3 credits into the machine? This prior to the last take over of TG was not on.

I'm a fairly crappy player of Mario Bros. and my knowledge of the game is that the number of credits will not make one difference to the game play. Added to that, I know how good both yourself and Stephen Boyer (Ripper) are at this game, and if you say adding additional credits doesn't make a difference, then I'll take your word any day of the week.

The now very old rules stated it was one credit one play, when did this rule change? why are we complicating the adjudication process by allowing changes to this rule?

I'm not going to vote either way on this. I believe (and I'm not having a go at your Steve, I think the score is valid) it should be one credit one play for all games, and a reset in between attempts.

Same goes for console attempts - it's a pain in the arse, but it should be a reset before each and every attempt. We can not possibly know how games react after they have been loaded into memory, and as much as possible we should be insuring that every record is on par with what other gamers did.

I don't mean any disrespect to your score, it just seems like all the prior TG rules have been abandoned, some of them seemed over the top, but they were the rules we all played by and I don't understand why all of a sudden we get to ignore them.

One final note - I have submitted a score for Bump 'n' Jump Arcade - the video quality sucks, I admit that. If the community based on old rules feel that the quality is not sufficient, please down vote it - I will replay the game and get better video, I'm not exempt from any prior TG standards.
  7. 01-06-2015, 04:52 AM
    Hmmm- the edit function is weird - it double posts, one final thing to add to the subject: My reluctance to vote on this video is two fold, firstly Stephen Boyer would be considered an expert on this title and he says it is fine. I'm not going to go against him. If I go by the old letter of the law (more than one credit added at game start), I'm going to lose credibility points simply because I feel the majority will up vote this recording.

Again, no disrespect intended, I just think we are opening a can of worms here that can not be reversed in the future if problems are found.
  8. 01-06-2015, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Hmmm- the edit function is weird - it double posts, one final thing to add to the subject: My reluctance to vote on this video is two fold, firstly Stephen Boyer would be considered an expert on this title and he says it is fine. I'm not going to go against him. If I go by the old letter of the law (more than one credit added at game start), I'm going to lose credibility points simply because I feel the majority will up vote this recording.

Again, no disrespect intended, I just think we are opening a can of worms here that can not be reversed in the future if problems are found.
    I believe they're implementing that if you already vote and then change your mind and want to abstain that will be an option. If you feel like the majority of people will vote accept, then it is probably better to abstain unless you have valid proof that it's not legit.

I don't think you're being disrespectful. Nothing wrong with bringing up points that are of concern to you.

You seem to reference the old TG standards a lot. While many of it certainly still applies today, in this new era of TG it's us, the gamers, that get to decide what we feel is necessary/unnecessary when it comes to valid submissions.

If you'll notice on the forums there's even a discussion regarding whether or not Free Play should be a requirement of merely optional. Open discussion and back and forth is a good thing.

As far as the three credit rule goes, I believe this falls under the same realm as Free Play. Unless you can prove that it actually has an effect on gameplay by adding more then a single credit I don't really see it as a valid reason to reject a submission alone. Again if it's found out in the future it does, then the appropriate actions can be taken.

Also your point about console attempts... You've always been allowed to have more then one attempt on a recording provided you show x amount of dead air time prior to bootup etc.

We want to encourage people to submit their scores. If you nitpick too much then you increase the likelihood of preventing people from submitting scores.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  9. 01-06-2015, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post

One final note - I have submitted a score for Bump 'n' Jump Arcade - the video quality sucks, I admit that. If the community based on old rules feel that the quality is not sufficient, please down vote it - I will replay the game and get better video, I'm not exempt from any prior TG standards.
    I know for some games of the past this MAY be an advantage but not in MB's. Steven just does this so he won't have to add another credit if he starts over. It's not always 3 credits. Sometimes, when we play MAMEHub or netplay MB's he will add 99 just to be funny. I've never seen any advantage to adding more credits for this title at all.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  10. 01-06-2015, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by d3scride View Post
    Also your point about console attempts... You've always been allowed to have more then one attempt on a recording provided you show x amount of dead air time prior to bootup etc.
    Arcade and console/computer alike: many games require the random elements to stack up before the "most opportune" run will arrive.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Join us