Barthax's MAME batch file

This poll is closed
  1. 01-05-2022, 10:23 AM
    Forgot one: grab the inptest.zip file from the first post and extract the inptest.exe to the C:\MAME folder so it sits alongside everything else in that folder.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  2. 01-05-2022, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    Sure looks it. :)

Time to check the locations in your checkconf.bat:
    You're using C:\MAME so the default MAMELOCATION is correct & as a result so is the default INPLOCATION. So I download stuff into C:\MAME\inp\MARP (default DOWNLOCATION) and there's a folder called Done inside there (DONELOCATION): C:\MAME\inp\MARP\Done

When the time comes, you download the zip file from the submission into C:\MAME\inp\MARP (or wherever you've changed your DOWNLOCATION to) and after the batch file is used, the zip file gets placed into C:\MAME\inp\MARP\Done (or wherever you've changed your DONELOCATION to).

Before running anything, the dip files are needed - the work of the MAME chaps for this system to provide something meaningful to TG. If you know how to use git with GitHub then go that route for the next resource (learning git isn't difficult but it's beyond the scope here). If you're not sure of git/GitHub then go to https://github.com/Barthax/TGDips and grab the set using the green Code button's Download Zip link. Extract that somewhere. You'll need the dips folder - place it where you're comfortable with it: you could drop the folder in the same MAME folder (entirely your choice). Update the checkconf.bat's SRCLOCATION with the location of the dips folder.

Lastly, from the Expectations section of the checkconf.bat: the minimum is grep (which requires coreutils, hence two URLs there), a zip utility (the checkconf.bat is prepared for 7-zip) and a hexdump utility (choice of two in the checkconf.bat).
    I've set all the locations are they correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by evan04; 01-05-2022 at 10:48 AM.
  3. 01-06-2022, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evan04 View Post
    I've set all the locations are they correct?
    OK, so there's obviously some misunderstanding and appears to be how batch file variables work (not to worry). The names between % are references to the earlier SET line (so the line beginning "SET INPLOCATION" still points to C:\MAME\inp in the above because %MAMELOCATION% is C:\MAME) or you could replace everything after an = to be specific on each line.

So let's fix that first section. In your earlier Windows Explorer screenshot you had the MAME folder on the C: drive. So if your folder structure is below that, then I would expect:

Code:
    REM Environment variables
    SET MAMELOCATION=C:\MAME
    SET INPLOCATION=%MAMELOCATION%\inp
    SET DOWNLOCATION=%INPLOCATION%\MARP
    SET DONELOCATION=%DOWNLOCATION%\Done
    SET SRCLOCATION=%MAMELOCATION%\dips
    By using the MAMELOCATION as the basis for all the others, you could move the entire directory structure to somewhere else (MAME gets pretty big, after all!) and only have to change that SET MAMELOCATION line to the new location to fix all the MAME-related settings.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Likes evan04 liked this post
  4. 01-11-2022, 09:04 AM
    OK, so there's obviously some misunderstanding and appears to be how batch file variables work (not to worry). The names between % are references to the earlier SET line (so the line beginning "SET INPLOCATION" still points to C:\MAME\inp in the above because %MAMELOCATION% is C:\MAME) or you could replace everything after an = to be specific on each line.

So let's fix that first section. In your earlier Windows Explorer screenshot you had the MAME folder on the C: drive. So if your folder structure is below that, then I would expect:

Code:
    REM Environment variables
    SET MAMELOCATION=C:\MAME
    SET INPLOCATION=%MAMELOCATION%\inp
    SET DOWNLOCATION=%INPLOCATION%\MARP
    SET DONELOCATION=%DOWNLOCATION%\Done
    SET SRCLOCATION=%MAMELOCATION%\dips
    By using the MAMELOCATION as the basis for all the others, you could move the entire directory structure to somewhere else (MAME gets pretty big, after all!) and only have to change that SET MAMELOCATION line to the new location to fix all the MAME-related settings.
    @Barthax Hopefully it's fixed now sorry for the late reply
  5. 01-11-2022, 09:15 AM
    @Barthax Hopefully it's fixed now sorry for the late reply
    No rush: neither of us is on a deadline other than life itself (pun intended). :)

Cool, looks good. OK, time to make sure your MAME executables are named correctly then test! Pick an INP from somewhere so you have a version of MAME to use (hopefully one that matches the version of MAME you already put in the directory for a shortcut!). Rename the mame.exe to include the version. So if you have the exectuable from MAME 0.200 it would be need to be called mame200.exe.

Test time! In a command window *, you run the check.bat with two parameters: the first is the version of MAME without the leading 0. (so 0.200 is just 200) and the second is the matching ROM set which matches what the INP was recorded using. So for MAME 0.200 and a zipped INP file for pacman, it would be:

check.bat 200 pacman

* Hopefully you're aware of what a command window is and how to open one. My assumption also extends to you knowing how to navigate to the C:\MAME folder. Let me know if I've jumped the gun. :)
  6. 01-11-2022, 09:21 AM
    No rush: neither of us is on a deadline other than life itself (pun intended). :)

Cool, looks good. OK, time to make sure your MAME executables are named correctly then test! Pick an INP from somewhere so you have a version of MAME to use (hopefully one that matches the version of MAME you already put in the directory for a shortcut!). Rename the mame.exe to include the version. So if you have the exectuable from MAME 0.200 it would be need to be called mame200.exe.

Test time! In a command window *, you run the check.bat with two parameters: the first is the version of MAME without the leading 0. (so 0.200 is just 200) and the second is the matching ROM set which matches what the INP was recorded using. So for MAME 0.200 and a zipped INP file for pacman, it would be:

check.bat 200 pacman

* Hopefully you're aware of what a command window is and how to open one. My assumption also extends to you knowing how to navigate to the C:\MAME folder. Let me know if I've jumped the gun. :)
    Looks like some of my MAME executables are incorrect?
  7. 01-11-2022, 09:30 AM
    Looks like some of my MAME executables are incorrect?
    So, for every different version of MAME you want/need, you need to download that version (preferably the WolfMAME version), get the mame.exe out of the download and rename it.

In your screen shot, you tried 183: so I would go to MARP (http://replay.marpirc.net/) and hunt down WolfMAME 0.183 (shortcut: https://github.com/mahlemiut/wolfmam...es/tag/wolf183 ). Download the wolfmame-183.7z, extract the mame.exe and rename it to mame183.exe - place that into your C:\MAME folder and then try again.
  8. 01-11-2022, 09:59 AM
    So, for every different version of MAME you want/need, you need to download that version (preferably the WolfMAME version), get the mame.exe out of the download and rename it.

In your screen shot, you tried 183: so I would go to MARP (http://replay.marpirc.net/) and hunt down WolfMAME 0.183 (shortcut: https://github.com/mahlemiut/wolfmam...es/tag/wolf183 ). Download the wolfmame-183.7z, extract the mame.exe and rename it to mame183.exe - place that into your C:\MAME folder and then try again.
    I downloaded it still not working :(
    Would you be able to show me a video if possible I might follow it better thanks
    Last edited by evan04; 01-11-2022 at 10:10 AM.
  9. 01-16-2022, 03:58 AM
    I downloaded it still not working :(
    Would you be able to show me a video if possible I might follow it better thanks
    There's a picture of my MAME directory in the first post. The diagnosis process is basically going through each of the directories the batch file is looking for to understand what is/isn't there. Initially, could you attach snapshots of the C:\MAME folder you have and can you confirm you're putting the zip file back into the MARP directory each time (because it gets moved to Done).

Video: not a refusal but I don't have access to a Windows which is configured. It's been a long time since I did anything MAME: the old machine I used at home is buried under a bunch of boxes and not connected to a power supply and I'm not in work to access the virtual machine I had there (and legally the Welsh law is to work from home if possible: which I'm doing).
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Join us