Nintendo Entertainment System - Super Mario Bros. 3 - NTSC - Points [TG Extreme Settings] - 5943660 - Mason Cramer

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Nintendo Entertainment System - Super Mario Bros. 3 - NTSC - Points [TG Extreme Settings] - 5943660 - Mason Cramer

01-17-2015, 09:15 AM
    NTSC - Points [TG Extreme Settings]
    Rules
    1 Life Game [Recording ends either when you lose your 1ST LIFE OR when the game is completed in accordance with the rules outlined below.]
    Special Rules: Your scoring attempts ends when either you lose your 1ST LIFE or when you enter the Final Chamber after Bowser's defeat. Going through walls you normally can't go through [such as in Bowser's castle] and the Wall-Jumping tactic are NOT allowed! You may not skip any Levels, including fortresses [And their boss, Boom Boom], Hammer Brothers and any other side levels [including the 3 hand levels in World 8. All Mushroom Houses and Card Games are ENTIRELY Optional]. You are NOT allowed to use Whistles for ANY REASON and doing so will result in an AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION. Re-Entering the Spiral Palace of World 5 AFTER it has been completed [This done by using the pipe you come out of in the Sky half of World 5] for ANY REASON will also result in an AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
    Please note, under these Extreme rules with a Single Life, Full Point pressing is not only permitted but encouraged! The maximum score attainable is 9,999,990 points.
    If you successfully complete the game, you may use your time for the Fastest Full Completion time.

[Wall-Jumping is defined as jumping against a wall [or pipe] in such a manner that a pixel or two of Mario is stuck in the wall [or Pipe] and is able to use that to jump again, far higher then can be done normally. Further definition; Mario cannot be made to jump off of a surface that is 90 degrees perpindicular to the ground. Please note this can be further used to also go through solid objects not normally passable as is disallowed.]
    Submission Message
    Since I am having difficulties getting my video of this run to upload, this is the youtube link at which it can be viewed.

This score was achieved on December 27th, 2013. I streamed it live on twitch while simultaneously recording it on VHS. This video is a digital copy of that VHS tape; the twitch archive having long since been timed-out and deleted. Console boot-up is at :24, before that you can briefly see the intro to Battletoads; that is what I had been taping over. I reset at 4:50 and begin the official run. My score ends at 3:15:25, when I accidentally freeze the console while entering the doom ship at the end of world 6. (I had set a cup down on the table, too close to the NES...doh.) Power off is at 3:22:08
    I took great care to observe the rules of 'extreme settings' and none of my point pressing techniques nullify the level timer. In some cases, I take a break from playing by remaining in a warp pipe area. In this case, there is still a timer running that could kill me if I am away too long. I do not abuse these areas.
    This run has been previously accepted by Recordsetter.com
    Thank you for your time, and I look forward to what the future will bring for all our gaming endeavors!
  2. 01-17-2015, 11:13 AM
    Mason "The WIZARD" Cramer is in the house! Welcome back, man. Congrats...GREAT RUN!
    Thanks N/A thanked this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
  3. 01-17-2015, 02:45 PM
    Oh man, that freeze at the end would have driven me into a rage. :) Nice run!
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    Thanks GlitchCat thanked this post
  4. 01-17-2015, 06:02 PM
    This is what its all about!!! Nice run Mason, can't wait to see how far you take this one in the future!
  5. 01-17-2015, 06:06 PM
    I remember watching this live. Nice run Mason!
  6. 01-17-2015, 08:56 PM
    Starting to watch this run now, but I ask that those interested please check out this policy discussion thread that has to do with one clause mentioned in the SMB3 rules - https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...282#post751282
  7. 01-18-2015, 12:14 AM
    Nice run !! Just finished watching it. Sorry you had the freeze-up :(
  8. 01-18-2015, 06:36 AM
    What is the reason you waited on the timer in world 2 after killing the boomerang brother @0:53:30? Same with the coin ship in World 3. @1:22:00, as well as other places through out the run.

Why did you skip the Fire Bros?

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
  9. 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbee99 View Post
    What is the reason you waited on the timer in world 2 after killing the boomerang brother @0:53:30? Same with the coin ship in World 3. @1:22:00, as well as other places through out the run.
    I assumed he/she was using the time as a break.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbee99 View Post
    Why did you skip the Fire Bros?
    I missed this one. When did it happen?
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  10. 01-18-2015, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donatreides View Post
    I assumed he/she was using the time as a break.
    I was thinking it had something to do with catching up on Twitch chat maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by donatreides View Post
    I missed this one. When did it happen?
    The Fire Bros are behind the wall in World 2. They are at the very top right of the world 2 map. You have to use a hammer to get to them though.

B
    "I don't even like Peach! Why do I want to save her?"
    Brandon Y. LeCroy

Your Mom (Speed Run) - WR - 0:00:08.3
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us