Atari 2600 / VCS - Kool-Aid Man - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 214,800 - Mason Cramer

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari 2600 / VCS - Kool-Aid Man - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B - 214,800 - Mason Cramer

01-21-2015, 12:18 PM
    NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B
    Rules

Submission Message

This score was achieved on September 27th, 2013. Console power on is shown, console is show again at the end displaying the correct difficulty switch settings. This video was recorded by my girlfriend with her smart phone, thus it suffers from a bit of weirdness with the audio. In some instances she has her finger over the mic. Full, continuous, gameplay footage is shown. In the interest of full disclosure, I must mention that I am using a Sega Genesis controller. There is, to my knowledge, no rule against this, and no particular in-game advantage to be gained by doing so. I fully attest that this run was played and recorded honestly. This is the last of my 'backlogged' scores from when TG was inactive. Thank you for your time, and game on!
  2. 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM
    OH YEAH! I dont have any issue using a normal Genesis Controller for 2600 games, and vice versa. In my opinion, as long as its not a Genesis turbo arcade stick with the fire button on locked. In that instance, it would/could manipulate the rate of firing speed on some games. Well done!
    Likes bigbee99 liked this post
  3. 01-21-2015, 05:18 PM
    Just my opinion, but doesn't using a Genesis controller provide an advantage over someone using a standard Atari Joystick? I mean, there's a huge difference in gameplay between a Genesis controller vs. an Atari Controller.
    Likes philt80 liked this post
  4. 01-21-2015, 05:43 PM
    I'm inclined to say no to this one, sorry. You're using a modified controller which is significantly different from the original. If it didn't give you an advantage, I'm guessing you'd be using the one that came with the system.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  5. 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donatreides View Post
    I'm inclined to say no to this one, sorry. You're using a modified controller which is significantly different from the original. If it didn't give you an advantage, I'm guessing you'd be using the one that came with the system.
    So only First party controllers?
  6. 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM
    I think only controllers / joysticks that are for meant for the system intended (Nintendo = Nintendo / Atari 2600 = Atari 2600 / Sega Master System = Sega Master System) should be used. If we allow this score to go through we're opening Pandora's box. I think 3rd party controllers made by other companies are okay as long as they function like the original controller / joystick.
  7. 01-21-2015, 07:18 PM
    I just KNEW this conversation was once familiar. Here is the thread I started 7 years ago on the subject. Hope this helps make the best judgement call on the issue.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...trollers+atari
    Thanks GlitchCat thanked this post
    Likes GlitchCat liked this post
  8. 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM
    I was told a few years ago that using a Genesis controller was perfectly fine. All my Atari 2600 scores that are verified here were used with a Genesis controller. Score accepted, awesome run!
    Likes Marcade, GlitchCat liked this post
  9. 01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 24Karat View Post
    I think 3rd party controllers made by other companies are okay as long as they function like the original controller / joystick.
    That is exactly what a Genesis controller does in this situation. Functions exactly like the original controller.

I am not getting an advantage that is pertinent to the gameplay mechanics, as I would if I were using a turbo controller. (This game has no buttons anyhow.) Using a Genesis controller does nothing to change the speed or handling of my character.
    This has been allowed in many other cases for 2600, for scores that are already on the books. Can the nature and action of this supposed advantage I'm getting over gameplay mechanics be proven and demonstrated? If not, then what is the case against Genesis controllers founded on?
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  10. 01-21-2015, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchCat View Post
    That is exactly what a Genesis controller does in this situation. Functions exactly like the original controller.

I am not getting an advantage that is pertinent to the gameplay mechanics, as I would if I were using a turbo controller. (This game has no buttons anyhow.) Using a Genesis controller does nothing to change the speed or handling of my character.
    This has been allowed in many other cases for 2600, for scores that are already on the books. Can the nature and action of this supposed advantage I'm getting over gameplay mechanics be proven and demonstrated? If not, then what is the case against Genesis controllers founded on?
    The genesis controller unfortunately does not function exactly like the original controller as stated here though I imagine the definition of "functions" is subjective.... If by "functions" you mean functions electronically the same, that assessment is 100% correct. However, if debating ergonomic functionality, it certainly does not...
    While it's likely extremely debatable, I know from personal experience playing with a 2600 joystick is infinitely less ergonomic and much more difficult on the hands than playing with a d-pad.

One could argue "spirit of the game" clause wherein we didn't have the option to plug in a 4th generation d-pad into this 2nd generation console during it's original run and as such those early records submitted didn't have the advantage of using a controller that was arguably easier on the hands.

All of that becomes moot though with the factual realization that numerous prior records have already been added to the db with the allowance of modern controllers and d-pads including the genesis controller. So, despite my own opinion on the subject that we should all use original hardware designed for each platform specifically, this run gets an "Accept" from me based solely on that.

Congrats on the nice run on an underrated classic! I remember you practicing this one a few years back. :)
    Thanks GlitchCat thanked this post
    Likes 24Karat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us