Nintendo Entertainment System - Donkey Kong Jr. - NTSC - Points - 3,154,000 - Corey Chambers

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    If one could tell an example of a cheating device that could be used for this score, Id have no problem rejecting this. But is there anything questionable in the gameplay? If not, why adsume a cheating device is present or possible to hwlp him?
    I think it's more about standards than anything. Everyone needs to be held to the same standards - people we know and the random guy down the street. Otherwise, we're playing favorites. IMHO, the scoreboard should be viewed as something precious to be protected - otherwise it loses it's esteem.

And, in his own words, the score was easy for him to do (while sick no less!) and he believes he can improve his score.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  2. 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM
    The question is: Is the score valid? If someone votes "No" then what evidence do you have that my score is not valid. I have presented full game play evidencing validity of the score. Now, if someone does not have evidence that the score is invalid then they should refrain from answering the question "No". Voting "No" when there is no evidence that the score is a fake is not reasonable. Let's put it this way... is it more probable than not that I fabricated the score, faked a 4 hour video, lied about its completion despite a history of integrity, valid submissions, and real scores? If one is fully convinced that it is more probable than not that this is the case, then by all means vote "No", but if it is not more probable than not, then it is more probable that the score is valid which the evidence directs us towards. I ask that people refrain from a "No" response if you have no evidence of invalidity. Additionally, if it is more probable than not that the score is valid, that it was completed with integrity, and the content presented is genuine, then by all means vote "Yes". If people do not wish for this genuine score to be added to the TG database, then it matters little to me. I submitted the score to assist in adding value, relevance, and accuracy to the scoreboard. My score is the world record either way.
    Likes expandedidea liked this post
  3. 01-24-2015, 03:30 PM
    But like Tom said: "The console has never had to be visible. In fact, the vast majority of past console submissions have been direct video feeds. Also worth noting is that Donkey Kong Classics doesn't have a bootup sequence. The title screen appears immediately upon startup." My last submission from the Donkey Kong Classics cartage was a direct feed and accepted by Mr. Kelly R. Flewin. I really don't have anything further to add here so do what you guys want with this submission. I will probably just keep all my future scores to myself, at least then I won't have to worry about the thoughts and feelings of others. I am quite happy with twitch streams and youtube videos.
  4. 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM
    OK, first off. Let's focus on the word "May", as in "It might get disqualified". It is not "will". Big difference in my opinion. Also, let's remember an old TG rule was "You can only have one credit." So going with the "It's a rule, and that's reason enough that it must be followed!" is a crock because we already have allowed multi credit scores to become TG records past, and present. Let's not forget that this rule of showing booting up the system seems to have been enforced in the past like the "Multi Credit" rule was enforced. Also Andrew brings up a good point. How can someone cheat the system by ignoring this rule? If they can't then maybe this rule needs to go the way of the "Multi credit" rule er I mean dodo bird.

Now having said all this, here is where I am torn. This community has already rejected a score based on this rule. It doesn't seem fair that Corey's game get accepted if the other guys get's rejected.

I personally think this community needs to have a good long discussion about this. Can the system really be cheated at the present moment with not having this rule, and if not, why is it a rule?
    Space Jockey (Atari 2600) 1,321,495 3rd highest score in the world.
  5. 01-24-2015, 04:10 PM
    George, you do understand why the console flash rule exists in the first place, right?
  6. 01-24-2015, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WCopeland View Post
    George, you do understand why the console flash rule exists in the first place, right?
    I think it has something to do with emulation, but in reality would it be that hard for a person playing on emulation to have it where there is static, and a boot up for the emulation game? In my opinion it would be harder to fake emulation gameplay as the real deal, than it would to fake static, and a boot up.
    Space Jockey (Atari 2600) 1,321,495 3rd highest score in the world.
  7. 01-24-2015, 04:39 PM
    This is what I will do. I will create a video of exactly what it would look like if I were to "boot it up" on my tv using the same camera, and then you guys can explain to me how that adds validity. Though I believe that the validity of the present score is adequate. I will post the link to the youtube video in a moment.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  8. 01-24-2015, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongGenius View Post
    This is what I will do. I will create a video of exactly what it would look like if I were to "boot it up" on my tv using the same camera, and then you guys can explain to me how that adds validity. Though I believe that the validity of the present score is adequate. I will post the link to the youtube video in a moment.
    And this is different from doing an arcade verification on a separate video clip how?

The fact we are having this debate is absolutely ridiculous. This is a zero-effort thing to do that makes your evidence package bulletproof from accusations of emulation, cheating, or other modifications of any form. A score has already been rejected for not doing this. It has nothing to do your particular score but the integrity of the board as a whole. I have no issues with your gameplay, I have issues with if this score goes through the next guy NOT showing the console flash pointing to this as a reason their score should be accepted too.
    Likes philt80, Cthulhu, fruitygayspaghetti liked this post
  9. 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM
    Here is a video example of what the NES does when it starts the Donkey Kong Classics cartrage through a VCR onto a TV. Later I will try to show what JNES emulation on my TV would look like if I can figure out how to attach my computer to my older TV. And if further see if I can splice one video into another to see if you guys can even tell, if possible.

10. 01-24-2015, 05:08 PM
    Wes, perhaps that is one of the weaknesses of a community verification process. I guarantee that someone has already voted "Yes" because I offer evidence of a valid score, and for those that voted "No", what evidence do you have that it is fake?
    Likes bigbee99 liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us