Nintendo Entertainment System - Donkey Kong Jr. - NTSC - Points - 3,154,000 - Corey Chambers

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Nintendo Entertainment System - Donkey Kong Jr. - NTSC - Points - 3,154,000 - Corey Chambers

01-23-2015, 05:06 PM
    NTSC - Points
    Rules
    Difficulty A [3 Lives to Start & 1 Bonus Life at 20,000]
    Special Rules: None
    [Please note that you may also submit your record via the Donkey Kong Classics Combo Cartridge]
    Submission Message
    New Donkey Kong Junior World Record for the NES! I achieved a score of 3,154,000 taking down the previous world record of only 2,248,100 set by Tom Votava back in 2004. This was suprisingly easy to do. Losing my first man on level 7 or so I decided not to restart. Two of my guys were lost due to a generous d-pad that gave me too many inputs and killed me. With an adjustment here and there I believe I could reach the killscreen. I played this game for just over 4 hours while sick.

2. 01-23-2015, 06:19 PM
    Sorry Corey. I'm glad this was easy to do because you'll probably have to do it over. The video starts after the console is powered up. We need to see the "snow" before the console powers up and the "flash" when it does so we know it's legit hardware.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  3. 01-23-2015, 06:28 PM
    Ya....no boot up and nothing shown after the game.
  4. 01-23-2015, 07:45 PM
    I have the video of it starting up on my computer from which I made the youtube video but the game play is evidence enough. It was clearly done on my television set, you can hear the controller inputs, and any one who knows this game at all would recognize that it is emulated by an original NES and by no other means. Rejected here or not, it stands as the real world record. I do not need TG or any entity to verify any of my scores, I only submitted it as an act of support and good will. Thanks for your comments.
  5. 01-23-2015, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongGenius View Post
    I have the video of it starting up on my computer from which I made the youtube video but the game play is evidence enough. It was clearly done on my television set, you can hear the controller inputs, and any one who knows this game at all would recognize that it is emulated by an original NES and by no other means. Rejected here or not, it stands as the real world record. I do not need TG or any entity to verify any of my scores, I only submitted it as an act of support and good will. Thanks for your comments.
    As has been discussed in other NES submissions, console flash has always been a requirement. Even prior iterations of Twin Galaxies would have likely rejected this one due to lack of that alone. The game play unfortunately is not evidence enough as we cannot tell if this is emulation or otherwise(one can hook up various methods and means of emulation to a TV screen and produce the same result seen here and can even utilize standard NES controllers for input using some of those methods as well).

This one gets a reject from me until you submit additional proof of console boot.
  6. 01-23-2015, 08:40 PM
    Nice job, Corey! :)

I'm voting yes on this one, dead air/boot up shown or no. Remember, the point of verifying scores is to determine whether the gameplay is legit. While that little extra bit of video would have helped, it's easy to tell that this was a clean game.

Good luck with that 8-to-10-hour kill screen run! I'm not much of a marathon player, so I doubt that I'll be going for it. Cheers!
    Tom Votava
    http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/
    Thanks DonkeyKongGenius thanked this post
    Likes DonkeyKongGenius, bigbee99 liked this post
  7. 01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
    Thanks, Tom! Means a lot coming from you.

Interestingly enough, when I first did my 2.8 million on Donkey Kong for NES, I sent two VHS tapes to a TG referee and it was approved. If rules for the NES have changed then it would be fair for there to be an official list of requirements somewhere otherwise people "find out" that people will not accept the score until after it is posted. Although I do not need my score posted to TG, I submitted the game to help TG's scoreboard on the game be more accurate and relevant. Tom's score can remain at the top of the list for all I care, but it seemed prudent for me to offer the valid score because without it it remains inaccurate. If that is what people want, then by all means require a console boot, not like that can't be faked anyways, or the game code modified where people not familiar enough with the game would not notice, which makes the point mute. Open the console, open the game, perhaps you need to see my hands on the controller too. How ridiculous do we want to make it? So once again, if people don't want to have an accurate list on TG for this game, it is no skin off my nose. I know I did it, and have the game play to prove it. Besides, I would not have added that bit of video for my youtube presentation because I keep it clean and neat. Not to mention that I had spongebob on before I started the game and I wanted to avoid any third party content.
  8. 01-23-2015, 11:29 PM
    If you have the video of the console starting up, why not record that portion and add it to this post to better your evidence package?

Recorded console start up is not a new addition to the rules. It has been a long standing rule with Twin Galaxies and has been discussed ad nauseam over the years.

Examples of this can be found here in a post from 2004 defining these rules:
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...cord-Your-Game

And here in another post from 2010:
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...game-recording

And here in another from 2003:
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...l=1#post559416

I do not think anyone is asking for too much here. You already state that you have the footage of the power on....so why not show it to add validity to the score?
    Likes marky d liked this post
  9. 01-24-2015, 12:03 AM
    I'm confused. Is console power on a requirement or not?

In this thread (https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...180-Andrew-Mee) I don't see a console being powered on and no one mentions it. Don mentions the video starts after powerup here but the video in the linked thread does too and he said that was fine - is there some difference between newer and older consoles because I'm sure that emulation exists for both. Is just the splash screen of the Gamecube logo enough?

I know I've seen a few others that didn't show the physical console booting up as well; I could find the threads if someone wants. Just curious because it seems to be a big deal but I only see it addressed more with older titles.
  10. 01-24-2015, 02:47 AM
    Required evidence for console submissions: console flash/boot-up and/or full view of console. Not required evidence for console submissions: "I-care-but-don't-care" rhetoric and holier-than-thou attitudes.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us