Nintendo Entertainment System - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!/Punch-Out!! - NTSC - Fastest KO/TKO of Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream - 2:8.00 - Michael Girard

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 02-06-2015, 05:45 AM
    When I first got the NES, I cleaned it with the stronger 99% alcohol on the outside of it and it took the red Nintendo logo right off the front of it. So I ordered a custom vinyl Nintendo logo to stick on it a few years back. I couldn't believe just wiping alcohol over the logo to clean the area off would fade it off. But it did.
    Michael "MK Wizard" Girard
  2. 02-06-2015, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Porter View Post
    Whats up with the NES? I have never seen an NES with that particular logo on the flip lid. Can someone explain this to me.
    I guess the guy still sells the logos on Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...item33725aaa7f
  3. 02-06-2015, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Porter View Post
    Whats up with the NES? I have never seen an NES with that particular logo on the flip lid. Can someone explain this to me.
    Here's a picture of the bottom of the console with the custom logo still showing on the front. It shows that it's a genuine Nintendo that I have from all of the original stickers and the serial number on the bottom of the console.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0851.jpg  
  4. 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1570 Here's the picture of the console.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  5. 02-06-2015, 07:18 AM
    Zallard1 had the fastest time at 2:10 on Tyson which is also really cool.
    I can't believe you beat the Punch Out masters at Tyson.
    Good job!
    Thanks MK Wizard thanked this post
    Likes MK Wizard liked this post
  6. 02-06-2015, 07:24 AM
    First off, I have to commend TG for actually attempting to evolve their verification process to something more capable of catching cheated records. Peer reviewed verification is probably the best bet on accomplishing this while minimizing the workload it takes to verify records by referee only.

To make this immediately clear, I do NOT believe that this score/time claim is valid. I will make my argument on why this is for the duration of my post.

I'm posting a re-upload of Mike's video in the OP/2nd-post because shortly after he reads this, he will attempt to remove it or edit it to cover up any evidence that his video is cheated. Any one in this thread who has watched the original video before my post can attest to this being completely identical.

So, to the untrained eye and/or those unfamiliar with how Mike Girard operates, this video appears completely fine.

However, Mike Girard has also been posting various fights with supposedly record times over on gameFAQs/SDA/youtube/ect, but then quickly removing them so no one could investigate any of them further. He has even done this under different youtube/SDA/ect accounts, as well as under different names entirely! You might be curious as to how this is known, as there is no evidence of any of this on Girard's account or youtube page. Unfortunately for him, what he did not anticipate was that every single previous video that he has posted has been saved right before he removed every one of them.

Now, at first all of these seem like completely different fights, especially considering one of them is played by a supposed "Dave Landrus" which ends up getting a 2:15. The other two videos are slightly different from each other as well. However, take note of the entirety of phases 1 and 2 in every video that I've posted above. You will notice that they are all COMPLETELY IDENTICAL down to the frame Tyson attacks, as well as the input from the player. He even makes the same mistake at the end of phase 1, almost getting hit by one of Tyson's fast uppercuts. It's also worth noting that Mike Tyson is one of the most random fights in the entire game, so getting a completely frame-identical pattern like this in 3 separate videos while also making the same human movements are completely impossible, linking every one of these videos. Just to give people an idea, MTPO has been tool assisted in the past by adelikat (the owner of TASvideos), which means he knows how the game operates on a highly technical level that pretty much any standard player would not. Adelikat has said in the past that the odds of getting a very particular pattern out of Mike Tyson are about 1/1,000,000. That doesn't include frame identical execution from the player in all 3 fights of course.

But wait... didn't I say that one of those fights ended in a 2:15? How could that possible be when phases 1 & 2 are identical in every aspect?! I'll tell you how; Mike Girard spliced together footage from different fights. Since we know all of these videos are related to each other in content, let's examine the only one that Girard posted that was captured directly with a capture card (as an aside for TG to consider, verification footage is much easier to catch multiple forms of cheating on when the player records directly instead something like an over-the-air camcorder verification).

http://i.imgur.com/awiePdB.gif

Here is a gif animation of a particular knockdown in all 3 videos. If you pay close attention to the crowd, you can see the entire crowd shift instantaneously within a matter of frames. Just to quote the current TASer of MTPO who goes by the name of McHazard: "The maximum rate of crowd movement is one change every two frames" which contradicts what is happening in that gif animation. So even if somehow the intensely unlikely odds allowed these things to take place, the game mechanically cannot make the crowd shift like this under any circumstance, pointing obviously to this being a splice point. This has been covered up in his most recent video because he did not want it to get picked up by any TG verifiers, but because of the first phase being used in other videos, it is spliced regardless.

http://i.imgur.com/rsbYShL.jpg

Here is an image of 3 consecutive frames for Mike Girard's phase 3 hits. For some background, to deal the full 5 damage to Mike Tyson in the way that Girard is doing, the hit needs to connect on the last possible frame before Tyson goes idle (i.e. the punch must be frame perfect). This is consistent for every punch in the 3rd phase. The middle frame shows Tyson going idle, which means any normal Tyson fight would have blocked this attack. For reference, lets compare the above image to the tool assisted speedrun which performs everything frame perfectly.

http://i.imgur.com/1zMXOAy.jpg

You'll see that Mike Tyson never has any frames where his sprite goes idle when the punch connects. This is the only way the 5 damage can be dealt in a single punch. Mike Girard used a Game Genie code by the name of ANUAIZSY that disables the opponent's guard so that any punch will deal 5 damage regardless of when it is timed. Girard eventually realized this was a telling characteristic that would get him caught, so he removed the frames where Tyson is idle manually with video editing software. This explains why if you look at Girards most recent video carefully, that the timing of every punch in phase 3 is inconsistent with each other, despite them all needed to be identical in length.

I have made my argument on Mike Girard's claim of 2:08 TKO on Mike Tyson. Anyone who has voted in this thread, please review this content carefully and decide on whether or not you want your verdict to remain the same.
  7. 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM
    thanks for the explanation :) yeah I was like "thats crazy, where did he get that NES from?" I will keep in mind not to use alcohol to clean mine
    The Circle Leader
    King of Genesis
    Son of GinaLee
  8. 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starcrytas View Post
    Zallard1 had the fastest time at 2:10 on Tyson which is also really cool.
    I can't believe you beat the Punch Out masters at Tyson.
    Good job!
    Thanks, I achieved this back in 2013. I only know of 3 other people that have done a 40 punch perfect fight on Tyson or Mr. Dream before. Zallard1 was the only besides me to have video evidence of it. A player by the name of Saoeub Chen was the first known player to do it according to some Japanese gaming articles that were from the early 90's. I'm not sure what his final time on Tyson was though. It's possible to get at least 2:05 if your real quick and have the fastest punch patterns done by Tyson or Mr. Dream.
  9. 02-06-2015, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zallard1 View Post
    First off, I have to commend TG for actually attempting to evolve their verification process to something more capable of catching cheated records. Peer reviewed verification is probably the best bet on accomplishing this while minimizing the workload it takes to verify records by referee only.

To make this immediately clear, I do NOT believe that this score/time claim is valid. I will make my argument on why this is for the duration of my post.
  10. 02-06-2015, 09:30 AM
    Aren't those two videos with the 2:08 time different videos?!?! The one he says "yes" at the end but then the one you posted doesn't even have the NES in the video. Something is really odd here and what you posted sure seems to make sense Zallard. I would love to here Mike's rebuttal to this but given what you posted it sure seems spot on.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Join us