Nintendo Entertainment System - Elevator Action - NTSC - Points - 112,550 - Rudy Ferretti

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 02-22-2015, 09:56 AM
    Sorry typing on phone and not allowed to edit - didn't mean change the rules. Meant the sub was used to de facto change the rules since they were being ignored as written.
  2. 02-22-2015, 10:24 AM
    for the record... I haven't voted for nor against this.

3. 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM
    Rules:
    3 Lives to Start and a Bonus Life at 10,000
    Special Rules: Players MAY leech, but be forewarned, it won't last for long. This is being allowed because soon enough the AI gets INCREDIBLY Smart and the bullets resemble a machine gun spray making it EXTREMELY difficult to advance. This is especially true on later levels where the enemies start out smarter off the bat and their shooting speed increases big time!
    Entering the bottom elevator without entering all the red doors returns the gamer to an earlier point in the level and avoids the enemy speed-up. Since it's possible to do this by accident and in later levels it becomes a necessary tactic at times, we are capping the number of times a person can do this to two per level

Did Rudy follow the rules? Yes.
    Did he use a cheat code? No.
    Did he use a glitch? No
    Did he utterly destroy the current number 1 score? No, he beat it by about 10%.

Is this a valid submission? Yes.

Accepted.
    Likes Cthulhu, ZEN liked this post
  4. 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM
    Our mandate here is to either accept or reject, based on the evidence. This forum is for adjudication. Rule changes are supposed to be taken care of in another forum, as far as I understand.
  5. 02-22-2015, 11:57 AM
    While he found a nearly infinite leech spot, he obeyed the ruleset. A debate on the rules for this title should be made afterward, not before. Im not sure if grandfathering this makes sense.
    I like to destroy games... especially the ones with Mario in them.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  6. 02-22-2015, 12:07 PM
    The problem is that there are many games here where you can leech forever. These games in which this happens need to be adjusted so that you can't leech forever.
  7. 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM
    The other games where you can leech forever have no relevance here. If they need to have rules adjusted, lets discuss that in the appropriate forum.
  8. 02-22-2015, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    The other games where you can leech forever have no relevance here. If they need to have rules adjusted, lets discuss that in the appropriate forum.
    lmao...settle down there Bill

As there really is no current method in place to changing rule sets, the only place we can discuss them is the submissions themselves. This is absolutely the appropriate place to do so.

While Rudy clearly followed the rules as listed, these rules are absolutely ridiculous. Difficulty is subjective and this is a prime example of why refs should never be able to bend rules to make it easier for someone to leech without knowing the game's full capacity.

The original arcade version included a timer for each level so leeching in this manner was not an option. There is no mistaking that this absolutely is a leechfest and most definitely isn't in the spirit of the game. Never leaving the first building is not advancing the game. I see no proof that the game "slows down and locks up" as he describes in the video. He talks endlessly about slowdown and lock up, but I saw no example of this. He also has his friend state that Pischi attained the prior record using the same tactic. If this were indeed the case I imagine the same conversation we are having now would have happened then and the tactic would have been disallowed. Does anyone have proof the prior record used the leeching tactic shown here?

Rudy spends a good portion of the video dogging out the previous record holder, making statements of grandeur, dogging out Twin Galaxies even before looking at the clear leechfest going on. Are we to continue accepting his harassment of other players during his submissions? I think certain standards should be instated to prevent this. Show your gameplay without the extraneous BS....Telling the previous record holder to "suck your pischi" should result in having your score rejected in my opinion on that instance alone.

I say this track needs to be grandfathered or relisted as "Elevator Action NTSC - Freeleech" or something similar as I'd much rather see someone put up a score advancing the game as originally intended by the developers and true to the original arcade title it is descended from. Voting accept on this run shows a clear endorsement of the tactic for all future runs.

We have identified a clear issue with the track. Historically what did adjudicators do when something like this "came across their desk"? Did they deny the score THEN grandfather or change the rules or did they accept the score knowing it's a clear leechfest then change the rules to prevent others from doing the same thereby locking the score to an almost unattainable level for all future contestants?

I am abstaining from voting until I hear how this was handled in the past. If it was accepted in the past as posted, I'll vote accept....if not I'll forego voting on this one. Endorsing these tactics absolutely destroys the game for those who want to play it as it was intended(progressing through the stages) and forces others to compete with the tactic of camping in a single spot pogoing up and down to match the score.
    Thanks timhett thanked this post
    Likes DonkeyDave, RaGeNyC, Barra, timhett, timmell and 3 others liked this post
  9. 02-22-2015, 05:20 PM
    There is no way I'm going to vote accept for this. The entire game is a leechfest and glitch exploitation. The spirit of the leeching rule on this track is considering that it is finite, which is not the case. It was a bad rule and seems odd to even exist considering that leeching isn't normally allowed. Even if the rules DO allow it currently, we are free to reject anyway. It is our judgement call and other rules are being ignored when it makes sense (freeplay, closed tournament tracks, etc). This looks to me like a case of the rules needing to be fixed in a separate thread whenever the process of changing such rules is figured out. Perhaps also the removal of the current first place score if it was done in the same manner. Or maybe even a separate leech allowed track. If the issue is somehow resolved, the score can always be resubmitted later.
    Likes DonkeyDave, philt80, pat33999 liked this post
  10. 02-22-2015, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by philt80 View Post
    We have identified a clear issue with the track. Historically what did adjudicators do when something like this "came across their desk"? Did they deny the score THEN grandfather or change the rules or did they accept the score knowing it's a clear leechfest then change the rules to prevent others from doing the same thereby locking the score to an almost unattainable level for all future contestants?
    I love it! lol.

I doubt we will ever know what truly happened. We really need definitions of what is considered leeching on a game to game basis. Not a general guideline. But that also maybe impossible to rule on as a community. We need a commissioner!!!
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Join us