This poll is closed
  1. Atari 5200 - Robotron 2084 - Default Settings - 512,375 - Mark Hoff

03-07-2015, 05:01 PM

Default Settings
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=2208
    Rules

Submission Message
    Atari 5200 Console, Robotron 2084, Default Difficulty 1 (the setting when the console is turned on) 512,375 at wave 40
    Very difficult port due to enemy projectile speeds, analog joysticks, and a character that is about as versatile as Jumpman in Atari 2600 Donkey Kong.
  2. 03-07-2015, 07:10 PM
    Well done...Stapling those dreadful 5200 controllers to a flat wooden board. Now why didnt i think of that ???
  3. 03-08-2015, 05:37 AM
    Fun to watch, Accepted!
  4. 03-08-2015, 05:55 AM
    Is there a reason you don't show any dead air before the startup of the console? You seem to reset the machine near the beginning but not power off.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  5. 03-08-2015, 06:31 AM
    I'm not sure I understand your question. The machine was on so I could get the camera positioned.
    I sat down and reached over and shut it off then back on. Atari has a push button that says Power ON/OFF, not a toggle.
    The video shows the fuzzy screen stuff.
    That 5200 fires up really fast which is rather impressive since I read that they were simply atari computers packaged for controller specific inputs.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
  6. 03-08-2015, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question. The machine was on so I could get the camera positioned.
    I sat down and reached over and shut it off then back on. Atari has a push button that says Power ON/OFF, not a toggle.
    The video shows the fuzzy screen stuff.
    That 5200 fires up really fast which is rather impressive since I read that they were simply atari computers packaged for controller specific inputs.
    Thanks for clearing that up: I thought it was just a reset. :)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  7. 03-08-2015, 08:09 AM
    I had to disassemble those controllers to get the buttons to work at all, I'm told you can get an adapter and a thing called a megadrive for better controllers.

And you had me curious so I revisited the console to see how the reset actually works. Here is the info for historical reference.
    The console itself has just one single button which is power on/off.
    The reset button is on the controller itself and it doesn't behave exactly like you'd think of the toggle on atari 2600.
    the reset button doesn't cycle the power on the machine at all, it simple ends a current game and takes you back to the menu.
    A software reset, if you will, rather than a console reset.

Hence, if you look in the reflection of that video (which is kinda creepy and I didn't realize I was visible in the recording) you'll see me reach over to the console for the power button. the controllers were sitting in my lap.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes Barthax liked this post
Join us