Spjoni's Blog! - Let's Begin

1. Talking Spjoni's Blog! - Let's Begin

03-09-2015, 06:35 AM
    Do you remember all the cheesy motivational posters your teachers would hang around their classrooms? "The difference between 'ordinary' and 'extraordinary' is just that little extra." "Today is a great day to learn something new!" "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Regardless of how hideous the design of the posters were, the quotes themselves should be taken to heart.

I barely graduated high school in 2012 with a below average grade point average. Upon receiving my diploma, I was without a drivers license, a job or any direction. I felt entitled to take time off from everything important merely because I slipped through high school. I completely lost touch with the majority of my friends and classmates – which I realize now was entirely my fault. Of course I remained in contact with my oldest and best of friends though – we all need someone. However during this time, I found myself on the internet more than ever before where I came across the Jace Hall Show on IGN .START. One very special piece of the Jace Hall Show happened to catch my eye, the Ultimate Game Machine. I was fascinated with this colossal arcade cabinet – of course my initial thought was to go to Google and get to the bottom of this. Upon doing so, I discovered Jace Hall had begun a live studio broadcast of sorts in his office featuring the Ultimate Game Machine. This show was called 1337LoungeLive and was broadcast on Tinychat, which was an entirely new service to me.

Through a complete coincidence I became an early adopter of 1337LoungeLive where I made some of my greatest relationships. Hosts Jennifer Zhang and Xander Denke were possibly the most kindhearted people I have ever known and I simply cannot thank them enough for helping me get through one of the most difficult times in my life. For being such a dedicated fan to 1337LoungeLive and it's entire community I was promoted to be a chat moderator along with many other beautiful people.

Within less than a year 1337LoungeLive made the most logical progression and moved to twitch. A few months into the partnership, Jace Hall became the Head Custodian of Twin Galaxies – thus Twin Galaxies Live was born. For those that may not know, Twin Galaxies is an organization that started in 1982, chronicling video game world records. During the time I spent being an active fan of Twin Galaxies Live, I could not get over how much Jace Hall truly oozes success but is so humble at the same time. He will however, beat you down in a wide number of video games, and does so with great pleasure. Jace became a great role model for the person that I am today – I am truly grateful to have any sort of relationship with him and everyone else that has been a part of Twin Galaxies Live.

It would be remiss of me not to talk about the great impact that IGN as a whole has had on my life. I will never forget the day that I found myself looking for a great PlayStation Vita game to play, and I discovered Greg Miller's review of Persona 4: Golden, little did my life would be changed forever. When I first witnessed Greg's video review, it became abundantly clear to me – he was being payed to experience and discuss this game with anybody. All I could think about for months was how much I would give to be in that position. I would browse IGN every few hours reading reviews for video games, movies, and tv shows that I had absolutely no interest in – simply because I was intrigued by the job itself. I would delve into IGN wiki pages for games that I have never played – let alone considered playing. Soon enough I began to read reviews from years ago. The ones that stood out however, happened to be the most notorious – namely Greg Millers Lair review on PS3 (which I completely agree with). Skimming through the comment section of Lair, I learned there was an IGN podcast known as Podcast Beyond. Now I had been a huge fan of Game Scoop after watching just a single episode – I could not believe four people on camera would gather on couches and discuss the news of the industry. Of course, what I did not realize was how prominent IGN's podcasts had been for years past – to this day I am still trying to catch up. Listening to Podcast Unlocked, Nintendo Voice Chat, Game Scoop, and Podcast Beyond especially has truly been a great inspiration study the industry as a whole – not just learning about the games, but to learn about each company and the development process. I now know what I want to do with my life – however, there are moments in one's life that may not go according to plan. Unfortunately, this happened to be one of those moments.

In June of 2013, my uncle passed suddenly through complications in surgery and I bottled up my emotions for as long as possible to be strong for my aunt and cousins. I found that I was stronger than ever before – however, that October, my 92 year old grandfather passed away just two weeks before my birthday. During all of this, the church that I had been a member of since I was born was in the process of closing – I was unsure of just how much more pain I was able to go through… When December finally came, I was thrilled for Christmas, as I am every year – this year was different. I was ready for Christmas Day to finally be the fresh start that I and my family had been waiting so long for – however, before Christmas arrived, I received worse possible news than I ever could have imagined.

After getting home late one night with some friends, I received a phone call from my mom – I decided to ignore it, not thinking anything of it. About a minute later, I was called by my dad – seeing as how my parents are divorced and barely talk to one another, I found this to be rather strange. This time I didn't hesitate to answer and i was told that my 21 year old brother had a seizure. He was sent to the Cleveland Clinic the very next day. After several tests, we discovered my brother had a cancerous brain tumor. He seemed pretty good after his initial radiation treatment, and was sent home a few days after. This form of cancer however, is one of the the most difficult to treat. His body changed over just a few months, and he was no longer able to live on his own. Being his younger brother that doesn't go to college or have a job, I volunteered to be his caretaker over several months. It was certainly the most difficult thing I have ever done, and I would do it all over again if I had to.

"You beat cancer by 'how' you live, 'why' you live, and the manner in which you live." – Stewart Scott

This is exactly what my brother Robert did – in January of 2015 he passed – thankfully he did not suffer as many others may have

Currently I am 21 years of age, still without a job and a license. I am tired of making any sort of excuses for myself, time to move forward. I am currently job hunting while also searching for freelance journalism work to get one step closer to being a part of this industry that I am so passionate about. I plan to publish something at least once a week, whether it is a review, a topical conversation, or something personal like the story above. I love each and every person who does or does not read my blog and I hope to be an important part of the TGL community. Also bear with me, I am a bit rusty. :)
    Likes SincerelyFranny liked this post
  2. 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM
    That was beautifully written.

I believe in you Spjoni and give you the utmost amount of support towards your endeavors.
    I look forward to reading more. :)
  3. 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
    Thank you very much! :)
Join us