Get your game on

1. Lightbulb Get your game on

03-04-2015, 08:27 AM
    March 5, 2015

Gaming has always been a big part of my life so I've been thinking lately of something different I could do that's a little unique and maybe a bit challenging/time consuming. In addition to that I wanted to become more active in the streaming community by actually streaming more frequently and interacting with viewers.

I remember reading some posts a while back about MAME and some gamers who would actively submit a ton of MAME (Magnus Andersson & Koos J van Dyk) but I believe so far they've been noticeably absent in the new iteration of Twingalaxies. There was some discussion about how it would be neat if someone actually submitted a MAME score for every single MAME track in the database. Well, today I've decided to start the journey of taking down this lofty challenge.

Breakdown:

Presently there are 224 pages of games in the database under the platform. I have the display set at a default of 10 games per page, which equates to a massive 2,240 MAME games in the database! While there are certain games that are under review and not open to submission, there are also tons of games that have more then one track you can submit on (racing games, 2/3/4 player variations, etc), meaning the actual number will be significantly higher than 2,240.

Plan:

For every game I will dedicate at least 10 attempts at setting a score. This number is the bare minimum and I may play more depending on if I'm enjoying playing the game or I want to bash my keyboard/gouge my eyes out if the game is terribly awful/frustrating. This only applies to games that I don't already have a score for, but I still have the option to play said games if I so desire.

I don't claim to be the best gamer, and many of the scores I get will reflect otherwise, but I feel like this is an interesting challenge and the quest should be fun.

In addition, I will be live streaming every single moment of this journey on my Twitch channel which can be found here: MAME Quest Stream. I will try and answer any questions people may have about anything really. I won't have a set schedule for when I will be streaming due to having IRL obligations (work, gf, etc), but I'm going to make a big effort to try and stream 4-5 days/week minimum, usually in the evenings.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll see you in the stream in the future.

Craig
    Likes xelnia, Barra, Fordy liked this post
  2. 03-04-2015, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by d3scride View Post
    Magnus Andersson
    Magnus' primary goal in participating at TG was to get in the Guinness book - which he achieved & stopped submitting. :)

Anyway, that's a pretty lofty goal, Craig. Good luck: others have tried and fallen short.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  3. 03-04-2015, 01:13 PM
    That is quite the quest man. Good luck!
  4. 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
    see you in 5 years!!! lol
  5. 03-04-2015, 06:04 PM
    koos is a good guy, and a bomb jack fan, so he goes in my little book!!
  6. 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
    Wish you the best of luck mate. I'll definitely be watching whenever possible
  7. 03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
    Good luck with that man, hope it doesn't take you too long!
  8. 03-13-2015, 09:44 PM
    Update:

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to review and vote on my MAME submissions. I realize most of them are not very great replays, but for the purpose of this challenge I'm grateful for everyone's help.

Just passed 200 unique recordings for MAME tracks tonight. I was able to locate a scrubbed CSV file of every single entry in the TG database (while it was down) and filtered out every single unique MAME track.

There are a total of 3379 unique MAME tracks (this includes 2p,3p,4p) in the TG database.

A few things that I have come across so far:

1. Incorrect romsets. I grabbed a 106 "complete" romset a few years ago, but noticed some of the roms do not work, so I've had to fix those which takes additional time.
    2. There are certain tracks that will be very hard/impossible to submit any kind of score for. These include, but are not limited to tracks currently "Under Review", fastest completion (If I can't finish the game, obviously I can't submit on these)
    3. These submissions require a ton of submission points so I've been needing to review more submissions than I normally would to keep my points at a healthy balance.
    4. Streaming this challenge so far has been fun! Have found a few gems, but also a lot of garbage. Enjoying the interaction with those who have stopped by the stream.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes Barra liked this post
  9. 03-15-2015, 11:44 AM
    Finished the following letters: Z, Y (minus 2p/3p/4p tracks)
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
  10. 03-15-2015, 12:28 PM
    if you were keeping a log book of your thoughts and sentiments through this process and some viewpoints of each game you submitted...you will have enough to write an interesting story/book.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us