M.A.M.E. - Space Encounters - Score No Restrictive Settings - 134,725 - John McAllister

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. M.A.M.E. - Space Encounters - Score No Restrictive Settings - 134,725 - John McAllister

05-09-2015, 08:50 PM

Score No Restrictive Settings
    WolfMame version
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=132433
    Rules
    ROMSet: SpcEnctr
    Bonus Life: Any
    Bonus/Test Mode: Bonus On
    Time: Any
    Special Rules: None

Submission Message
    Thanx to 1500 A new track has been created so I could submit my recording.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. 05-10-2015, 12:46 AM
    Hi John. With much due respect to both you and Mark H, I gotta say, you both wreak of desperation by creating this new track!
    What bit am I missing? You can't get the settings right on your first submission, so you just create another track to JUSTIFY your lack of awareness of them REAL rules/standards!

Thank you both for diluting the scoreboard!

John

Likes bigbee99 liked this post
  3. 05-10-2015, 01:30 AM
    I agree with John...

Is this track really necessary?
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes bigbee99 liked this post
  4. 05-10-2015, 02:59 AM
    Old TG focused far too heavily on what was considered the optimum "competition-based approach" to creating rules and rarely on "what score is possible". When they did focus on "what score is possible" it only went as far as modifying previous rule sets with Pac-Man's "3-men unless kill-screening then 5-men" style approach. Open scoring is now possible and should be encouraged in a single track so that any & all can post a score without too much worry about the minutiae.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks redelf thanked this post
    Likes redelf, pat33999, datagod liked this post
  5. 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
    The addition of the "5+1" Pacman variation was done for one reason and one reason only...to satisfy the egos of three players. All of this is documented within these forums and it is one of the single worst decisions that TG ever made....3+1 for all submissions except a kill screen which allowed for 5+1 solely because Billy and Chris did not want to potentially get beat by someone who did 3,333,270 or 3,333,360 afterwards.

And for those who remember...Rick Forthergill at the very first Funspot event did 3,333,270 which is NOT possible under 3+1 settings...the settings were created thereafter for ego purposes, and if there is ANY doubt over that, if you ever happened to see the 9 dots at the bottom of the graphics of some objects that were issued over the years, that represents the 9 dots that Rick missed from the first Funspot event in 1999.

Fast forward 15+ years and here we are again with yet another incongruous decision to accept a completely useless variation and accompanying score. I can't reject this score since it was done according to the stated rules for the variation, but there is no way I'm going to vote accept either as this variation should NEVER have been created.
    Likes d3scride liked this post
  6. 05-10-2015, 10:28 AM
  7. 05-10-2015, 10:30 AM
    Don't see why everyone is getting so salty about this track. Someone wanted it and someone bought it. I'll stay on topic here and say accept instead of trashing someone for creating a "bad" track.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  8. 05-10-2015, 12:03 PM
    OK then...I'll petition for a few variations to be setup...NO scoring restrictions or any limitations whatsoever on "Megazone", "Krull", "Time Pilot", "RipOff", "Indiana Jones" and "Paperboy" and submit multi-million scores on each which totally dwarf the legit scores. They will be cheesy as heck, but hey...now that the precedent has been made then any similar no-restriction variation should be allowed. When you make one stupid decision that is incongruous with the standard policy, you cannot disallow another else you create the appearance of favouritism and inconsistency.

A door was opened that should have remained shut.
    Likes samhain2099, CraigA liked this post
  9. 05-10-2015, 12:13 PM
    Well, that's the rub here now. If you want to make a new track and pay for it, that's on you. If you don't like it then don't compete on it; it's not like a new track existing makes another track worthless. There are probably going to be plenty of max-out tracks without restrictions in the future. If that's how people want to have fun and get their name on the board then what's the big deal?
    Likes Snowflake, datagod liked this post
  10. 05-10-2015, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    OK then...I'll petition for a few variations to be setup...NO scoring restrictions or any limitations whatsoever on "Megazone", "Krull", "Time Pilot", "RipOff", "Indiana Jones" and "Paperboy" and submit multi-million scores on each which totally dwarf the legit scores. They will be cheesy as heck, but hey...now that the precedent has been made then any similar no-restriction variation should be allowed. When you make one stupid decision that is incongruous with the standard policy, you cannot disallow another else you create the appearance of favouritism and inconsistency.

A door was opened that should have remained shut.
    You are free to do exactly this, if you wish. Jace made that perfectly clear in last week's State of the Galaxies.

What you aren't taking into account is the track rating system. The tracks you mention would be downvoted by the community, and thus be irrelevant in terms of popularity and PSI. The community determines which scores are prestigious, and which aren't, just as it should be.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Join us