Atari SC-450 - Stunt Cycle - Jump 32 Buses In Your Living Room! - 31 - Mark Hoff

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. Atari SC-450 - Stunt Cycle - Jump 32 Buses In Your Living Room! - 31 - Mark Hoff

06-11-2015, 03:33 PM
    Jump 32 Buses In Your Living Room!
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=172437
    Rules
    The challenge is to jump 32 buses in your living room!
    Difficulty is player choice.
    Select Stunt Cycle game using buttons on console.

Adjudication note:
    The game does not end once the player reaches 32 buses, so each successful pass after 32 buses adds to the score.
    Example- Jump the 32nd bus, then successfully jump the 32nd bus again, then fail jumping the 32nd bus and game ends....The submitted score would be 33.

Console Details:
    Game choices on the console are Stunt Cycle, Drag Race, Motocross, Enduro.
    Difficulty choices are AM (Amateur) or Pro.

History:
    Stunt Cycle was released to the arcades in 1976 when pop-culture was dominated by Evel Knievel, the motorcycle riding/high flying daredevil. Atari released the dedicated console version in 1977, but it was overshadowed by PONG and the upcoming Atari 2600 cartridge system. The consoles can still be found in working condition, so find one of these classics and start jumping 32 buses in your living room...it is a high flyin' blast!
    Submission Message
    What a great game. The trick to it is to focus on the pitch of the motor sound.
    https://youtu.be/XmUv5lvUwu4
    Likes onlyinajeep liked this post
  2. 06-12-2015, 03:22 AM
    This looks like heaps of fun! There is one for sale on EBay.. A bit rich for me though

Accepted
  3. 06-12-2015, 03:52 AM
    It is an outstanding console. I didn't know it existed until last year!
    This one on ebay was approx. $40 US and it was unused in box.
    If you do find one for a reasonable price online, I am willing to help ship it if they refuse to do overseas shipping.

Side-note, I have a TG complaint. Stunt Cycle the arcade machine is at the TG arcade in Banning, CA. I had not seen one in DECADES.
    So at the January show I snuck away and got one game in then pulled away to work stuff....went back a couple other times during the weekend and it had no credits plus a locked coin door. aaaahhhhrrrrrgggggghhhhh. Hopefully they install a credit button on that machine for visitors.
    The black and white pre-arcade games are so awesome for their quaint engagement of the player.
    And this console whole-heartedly captures the arcade experience.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes nads liked this post
  4. 06-12-2015, 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    It is an outstanding console. I didn't know it existed until last year!
    This one on ebay was approx. $40 US and it was unused in box.
    If you do find one for a reasonable price online, I am willing to help ship it if they refuse to do overseas shipping.
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind
  5. 06-12-2015, 09:36 PM
    old old school...................accepted.
    Likes 1500points liked this post
  6. 06-13-2015, 03:36 AM
    Hey Mark, just curious, what's the skill factor here..... Do you have to hit the jump button, or something, before the cycle hits the ramp? Or what?

john

7. 06-13-2015, 04:20 AM
    it's a physics game. your cycle has to be going the correct speed to clear the jump, no jump buttons. not too short, not to far when you hit the ramp.
    The game is really hard actually. The controls are exactly like a motorcycle, 2 grips and a throttle.

Although I doubt this game made it to overseas distribution....Stunt Cycle was a quarter gobbler in the pre-arcade era in the US and you were a god of the skating rink if you could pull off a long game. This is a game that drew a crowd when someone popped a quarter in it. we are talking before Space Invaders, Asteroids, Star Castle, and Pacman redefined what kids found thrilling.

If anyone is going to make the pilgrimage to TG arcade in SOCAL, I strongly suggest checking out the 1977 upright machine....and there is no CPU in the game, all just TTL logic chips. friggin amazing piece of work.

TG employee (82-84)
  8. 06-13-2015, 04:23 AM
    edit. the upright Atari machine was 1976. typo above, sorry.
    and in that arcade era, Atari Football with the evil trackball quickly refocused attention away from Stunt Cycle once it came to the floor....ouch, where are the bandaids.

TG employee (82-84)
  9. 06-13-2015, 04:30 AM
    Thanks Mark. What actions/inputs governs the "correct speed"

john
  10. 06-13-2015, 05:13 AM
    turning the throttle grip. just like a motorcycle.
    There was a movement happening in 1975-1978 across America.
    Dirt bike racing was huge, T-shirts were commonly sporting Yamaha, Bultaco, Husqvarna, etc.
    Bob Hannah was becoming a legend on the #1 yellow and black Yamaha.
    And kids were converting their Schwinn Stingrays into dirt bikes.
    Dad's making crazy mods to the bikes at the urgent request of the kids (yah, i was one of em, too).

By the late 70s there was an official sport called BMX, and there were actual arcades with colorful CPU driven video games. Something we take for granted, but the turn of the 80s wasn't the start of whatever our generation is called? what are we anyway, not baby boomers, not Gen X? The Scooby Doo generation?

The media hype that spoke to us was pretty much two things. Evel Knievel's outlandish media stunts or Ali in Boxing.
    There was no boxing game at the skating rink, but there was a motorcycle game...and we bought in.
    Special time in American pop-culture.

This dedicated home console captures the spirit of that transition.

TG employee (82-84)
    Likes nads, onlyinajeep liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us