Rant: Non-constructive posts in adjudication threads

1. Rant: Non-constructive posts in adjudication threads

09-28-2015, 08:41 PM
    Maybe my annoyance is unwarranted, but anyone else bothered by the constant posts in adjudication threads that are variations of "Accept" or "Reject" offering nothing constructive?

I feel like any content posted in those threads should be constructive contributions to the adjudication process whether it's for or against it.

There are a TON of ways to be constructive.

1. Posting screenshots of final scores/times if they are absent in the OPs submission package
    2. Posting start-end times, times in the video for deaths
    3. Commenting on specific aspects of gameplay.

Just to name a few...
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
    Likes ssdninja liked this post
  2. 09-28-2015, 09:13 PM
    We could do without negative non-topic trolling or overall ill-will. If people want to be friendly and get a little off topic then I'm not against it but would prefer it be taken somewhere else if possible so I'm not sifting through banter trying to find the meaningful posts. I'll say I'm pretty talkative so I might have been guilty for some non-serious adjudication replies. I'm just against the unwarranted negativity, constructive criticism is more than fine but we are talking the human element here.
    The Fisher King
  3. 09-29-2015, 02:16 AM
    I know where you're coming from, Craig. Not only is "Accepted" in green font or "Rejected" in red font not constructive, but it betrays the anonymous adjudication process.

This being said, I have posted non-constructive posts ("This is a great run on a great game - nicely done!") but all posts have been about the submission and the game. So my official stance is be friendly but don't post "good job" on every thread - post when it deserves it. Do NOT post accept/reject because that's not the way the process works. And don't post crap about some past submission or bring up any beefs, be they fresh or stale.

A submission thread is the start of a new forum thread about a specific topic - the submission at hand. If anything should be discussed otherwise, please start a new thread in General Discussion. If the submission thread is relevant to what you'd like to say, just paste the link into your post. Forums get off on tangents all the time. It's our duty as members of the forum to respect the intentions of TG and the gamers.
  4. 09-29-2015, 02:52 AM
    I can do without the rejecting as requested posts after the submitter asks to be rejected. I've done it a few times, but have always felt ridiculous afterwards. Posting accept on every guitar hero submission is overkill. I don't mind Nice playing Accepted comment. but don't think it's necessary on every single video. but all in all, I really don't let it bother me.
  5. 09-29-2015, 03:18 AM
    For me it's about participating, if people want to say Accepted or Rejected let them. I'd rather see plenty of one line comments than a nothing at all.
    Likes creech, Barthax, Emayl liked this post
  6. 09-29-2015, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nads View Post
    For me it's about participating, if people want to say Accepted or Rejected let them. I'd rather see plenty of one line comments than a nothing at all.
    Yah I think folks have different levels of comfort in what they say on a forum.
    Accept or reject statements are communication which makes the place not feel like a ghost town.

Plus the new front page of submission activity monopolizes on the visibility of any statements bumping the item to the top.
    I suppose folks could write BUMP on everything instead....
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes nads liked this post
  7. 09-29-2015, 05:03 AM
    I have definitely posted a benign comment to bump a thread, and although it's when I am accepting, I still post "Looks good to me" or something like that. I guess I'm tripping over the use of Accepted/Rejected but am still basically saying "Accepted." So... nevermind about the use of those words.

I do agree that the Submission Review board needs manipulated constructively. Anything with a lot of conversation is naturally going to be at the top, but any good-looking submission that hasn't drawn any comments should still get bumped from time to time until it's accepted/rejected just so that it gets the views it deserves.
  8. 09-29-2015, 05:42 AM
    In one of the state talks jace mentioned when the place gets flooded with new folks in future that people will have to start promoting and marketing submissions to get visibility so benign comments must be an intended part of the psychology of the forum community.

It can also be used as a tool for fast points. Example...if i needed 5 points fast. I would find the oldest entries with no controversy, vote on them, and comment that i accepted them to help sway more voters. And within a day, 2 tops i would have those points.
    This is all a big social game folks.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes Desidious liked this post
  9. 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM
    I'm certainly guilty of targeting my adjudication efforts to the entries at the back of the line. Yes for points but also we all know how it feels to submit a great run and there's nobody looking at it for weeks. Also definitely seen debatable submissions go dormant when there's nobody furthering the conversation. On those I literally use the word BUMP with a following reason for bumping.
  10. 09-29-2015, 08:33 PM
    I don't think there can ever be a "guideline" as to brevity in posts within the adjudication forum.

If players wish to post a single word "Approved", or even just "Well done !!" that is their prerogative. Unfortunately, as I've seen happen on certain other gaming forums, there are those players who get a sense of importance over having a ridiculously high post count, as if a higher count somehow gives them a greater forum credibility and presence. Some players even use the quote commands to reprint a huge section from a previous post and either do not comment at all or just post "LOL" for that same purpose. And it is fairly easy to distinguish between the two situations. Personally, I can't stand the latter (the "LOL" comments and such)

As for negative comments, I've posted a few in the past myself and have no reason to avoid posting "Abstain" if I feel it is warranted. I'm not going to cave in to political correctness on the TG forum for anyone. What I do feel is needed, however, is a qualification should someone decide to post "Reject" or "Abstain". In fact I feel that the third option of "Abstain" should be there for personal reasons and should have comments as optional, while "Reject" should always require a qualifier/explanation, where extreme brevity is discouraged (i.e. "Rejected - cheat !!" by itself I think requires expansion, but "Rejected - leeching tactic employed" is sufficient)

Just my opinion.
    Thanks 1500points thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us