M.A.M.E. - Track & Field - Points - 91,800 - Brian Woodward

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 10-29-2015, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by terencew View Post
    I've also just seen video that makes it look like you don't even need to alternatively mash Left-Right, apparently you can just go to town on the one key... which makes it more like Extreme Hopscotch?!
    Correct, you can use only one run button on Track & Field and some top players do exactly that and are still able to generate great speed on the running events.
    Likes bensweeneyonbass liked this post
  2. 10-30-2015, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by terencew View Post
    I'm not immediately inclined to assume so, because our "Official MAME Submissions Guidelines" (which, in new-era, TG may no longer be all-binding) already deviated from MARP's view by saying...
    9. Twin Galaxies has a general policy on keyboard mapping which allows at our discretion a player to map movement and action/fire keys as one. Generally we allow this for titles such as, but not limited to, dual-joystick games. If you're unsure if this is permissable for a specific title, please feel free to contact a MAME referee and we will do our best to help you.
    That's the rule which is badly worded (original set at https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...-of-12-10-2007 for those not aware). It's a real shame more rules weren't shared in the public forum. Here's a discussion which occurred after I left staff: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...fighting-games (and therefore should take precedence over my interpretation).
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  3. 10-30-2015, 12:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    That's the rule which is badly worded (original set at https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...-of-12-10-2007 for those not aware). It's a real shame more rules weren't shared in the public forum. Here's a discussion which occurred after I left staff: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...fighting-games (and therefore should take precedence over my interpretation).
    Hmmm... found one of my memories: post-rules (2007) and within my staffing period, mapping was generally viewed as banned: https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...roller-mapping (moot point given the above 2010 link).
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  4. 10-30-2015, 12:44 AM
    This was meant to be posted yesterday but just as I went to post it the site went down...

Thanks to Brian for attempting to describe his set up in more depth to me. The analogy of the gun is what go me into understanding methods (still different from Brian's method):

The concern I voiced a few messages back is cemented by my new understanding of the Gatling gun (as per PM, Brian, I'm still not certain of yours despite the explanations! - lack of experience on my part). The "Gatling gun example" is a direct problem for all variations of emulation (not just MAME) unless the rules explicitly state otherwise. It's easy for me to see how multiple different methods could be used to produce a wide variety of such configurations: simple rapid-fire of single buttons, alternating button configurations and more complex sequences of buttons. This later possibility could make fighting games simpler - multiple wheels with the rotation of a small wheel for specific input-sequences to match particular moves. Of course, it would take time & some investment but the possibility is there.

T&F has trackballs in its history and the repetition of one button vs. alternating buttons is not different, I believe. My new stance is that I'm accepting this submission on this variation simply because such devices (although different in precise design) are historically used on the original of the game.

However, the wider scope of devices in this mould has to be considered similar to macro-inputs - it is one action by the user to generate multiple different inputs. I think I would struggle to accept such input devices on any other game.
    However, in light of the mapping rules legacy, it's even harder to decide. :(
  5. 10-30-2015, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post

- The INP submitted is submitted against the voice of the rules.
    - The MAME rules do not state the user must show video evidence.
    - The track-specific rules do not state the user must show video evidence unlike other similar tracks on other platforms.
    - The MAME+variation's rules do not state what input type is permitted but MAME rules do state that multi-mapping is prohibited.
    - There is no multi-mapping going on in this INP & George's analysis confirms this (as well as testaments from other people like myself).
    - The MAME rules do prohibit RLH / automated inputs.
    - There is no evidence of RLH / automated inputs.
    - The MAME+variation's rules do not state the user must use only two physical buttons (round-about reference to swiping across an entire keyboard for alternating buttons).
    - The MAME+variation's rules do not state the user must use a keyboard, nor a joystick, nor a track ball, nor some other method as yet undefined.

So, we have all the evidence we require vs. the rules and there is no evidence to reject.
    After re-reading everything I am sticking with my original vote to 'accept'
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Join us