TG Rules for Playstation 1?

1. 12-08-2015, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rotunda View Post
    Barthax, so a PS2 fat model will be fine for use on Ridge Racer? If that's the case that is great news as i am actually having trouble finding a decent, well priced PS1 and actually wouldn't mind a PS2 for Ridge Racer V and Tekken 4 plus afew other games.

A local store has one for £15 complete with all cables and a controller so if they really can be used I will go and pick it up tomorrow.
    That's my interpretation. And my previous thought as well. Pick that thing up! That's a very fair price. To emphasize, region code means a lot. Make sure it's not PAL if you're trying to do some NTSC work.
  2. 12-08-2015, 04:40 PM
    Yeah it is a good price and if i can get some extra gaming out of it for Ridge Racer V / Tekken 4 + afew others (the ps2 library is awesome!) then it's a win win really.

Just want to be 100% sure it will be fine for submissions here. I can't see it ever being an issue myself but i want to be totally sure.

Has anyone else submitted scores for PS1 on a PS2? I just want to be totally sure that it won't invalidate any score's i submit.

Yeah I'm aware of the regions, My PS2 will be a PAL version so I will start on the PAL Ridge Racer first. Although I'm trying to buy a NTSC PS1 as Ridge Racer NTSC runs at 30 fps instead of 25 fps on PAL which is nicer to play and also most of the current records are on NTSC, PAL has a few but not many.

I'm trying to get a PS1 from America but it's proving pretty tricky.

I will get one eventually though.
  3. 12-09-2015, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rotunda View Post
    Yeah it is a good price and if i can get some extra gaming out of it for Ridge Racer V / Tekken 4 + afew others (the ps2 library is awesome!) then it's a win win really.

Just want to be 100% sure it will be fine for submissions here. I can't see it ever being an issue myself but i want to be totally sure.

Has anyone else submitted scores for PS1 on a PS2? I just want to be totally sure that it won't invalidate any score's i submit.

Yeah I'm aware of the regions, My PS2 will be a PAL version so I will start on the PAL Ridge Racer first. Although I'm trying to buy a NTSC PS1 as Ridge Racer NTSC runs at 30 fps instead of 25 fps on PAL which is nicer to play and also most of the current records are on NTSC, PAL has a few but not many.

I'm trying to get a PS1 from America but it's proving pretty tricky.

I will get one eventually though.
    Just to confirm, I'm a UK PAL gamer that submits PS1 footage via a fat PS2 and have been doing for a long time with TG: perfectly acceptable. ;) PS2 library is awesome. If I had to choose a single console platform, it'd be PS2. :) (If I had to choose a single platform, it'd be PC!)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  4. 12-09-2015, 04:12 AM
    Excellent thank you Barthax I will go and pick up that PS2 later on then! That will sort out my PAL records. Thanks again for confirming.

Edit:

Got a good deal on that PS2. They gave me a memory card and brand new controller for the same price as they didn't have a second hand controller with it. I also picked up a couple of games. Came with all official hook ups too which is great.

Name:  IMG_20151209_125416.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  106.4 KB
    Last edited by rotunda; 12-09-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Additional info
  5. 02-07-2021, 02:31 AM
    Hi Rotunda,

I couldn't send you a private message, so I use this topic.
    You will probably not remember me but we both were on rolling-start.com a few years ago. I was playing Ridge Racer Turbo at that time.

This year, I came back to the original Ridge Racer on (actual) PAL PlayStation. To find active players, I tried to go to rolling-start.com but unfortunately, I saw it was now out of order. Luckily, I still remembered you and your nickname (Rotunda) so I searched for it on the Net. And found out that you eventually had submitted times to Twin Galaxies. Great initiative, this gives a great reference for players who still play the game!

However, due to the TG requirements to submit times (live vids), I assume these are not your actual best times, rather times you quickly achieved to get all the WRs (for instance, I found out that my old PAL "Beginner Extra" times were slightly better than yours).
    So I wondered if you had a list of your actual best times (even without vids). I'm especially interested in your PAL times, as this is the version I'm playing.

By the way, I noticed on your vids that you drift more in NTSC than in PAL. Is it because the NTSC speed allows more drifting or because you less practiced PAL?

Once more, congrats for your initiative and see you!
    Last edited by J; 02-07-2021 at 02:43 AM.
    Thanks rotunda thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, bensweeneyonbass, rotunda liked this post
  6. 02-11-2021, 01:07 PM
    However, due to the TG requirements to submit times (live vids), I assume these are not your actual best times, rather times you quickly achieved to get all the WRs (for instance, I found out that my old PAL "Beginner Extra" times were slightly better than yours).
    So I wondered if you had a list of your actual best times (even without vids). I'm especially interested in your PAL times, as this is the version I'm playing.

Hi, my PAL times are massively out of date. I need to update them really but i don't like going back to PAL after playing NTSC. That said, If your times are faster get submitting and i will counter your times would be great to see more submissions for Ridge Racer on here.

By the way, I noticed on your vids that you drift more in NTSC than in PAL. Is it because the NTSC speed allows more drifting or because you less practiced PAL?

This is simply due to age. As stated above i need to update my PAL times as i could beat each and every one of them but currently i don't even own the game as i somewhat retired from it so i don't see it happening any time soon.

Good luck with the game, have fun :)
    Likes Barthax liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Join us