TG Rules for Playstation 1?

1. TG Rules for Playstation 1?

12-06-2015, 02:26 PM
    Hello all,

I've had a look around and I see there are rules posted but I didn't quite get all my answers answered. Sorry if some of these questions are obvious to some of you but I'm new to TG and want to ensure any scores I submit are legit.

1, Are emulators allowed with Playstation 1 scores? I want to try and beat the Ridge Racer records on Twin Galaxies but I will need to buy an actual PlayStation if I can't use my Raspberry Pi 2 for emulation. They are mostly NTSC scores as well which is actually a faster version of the game and the reason I emulate it (I have JP, US & PAL legit copies of the game).

2, If I do need to use an actual console, Will a mod chipped console be legal for use with TG? As I would need to use a chipped console (region free) to play my NTSC/NTSC-J games as I'm from the UK.

3, Am I right in thinking that I would need to do a video of the game play for verification as I do have a screenshot of my best score in Ridge Racer on the medium track and its better than the current score but I'm 99% sure a screen shot isn't enough but here's an example:

http://s15.postimg.org/hqkbjshvv/bestmed.jpg

4, Does anyone have the guidelines for video submissions as I'd like to get up to scratch with what is needed to provide a legit submission. I have had a look around and saw that they need to be encoded in a certain codec which I've never heard of before so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help guys!
  2. 12-06-2015, 02:38 PM
    Hi rotunda, welcome to Twin Galaxies.

OK some bad news wrapped in some quick synopsis: generally no emulators, no mods, consoles play their own regions (no chips to play NTSC imports on PAL) - if you get a PAL console, PAL games are a requirement / if you want to play NTSC you need an NTSC console. NTSC & PAL are tracked separately for most platforms.

Although TG "advertises" you can submit any proof, the community (the people that vote on the submissions) is not likely to accept anything less than full video proof for consoles including boot up, options shown, selections made, failed attempts and other footage up to the achievement you want submitting: all one continuous footage. That's the standard people use for consoles (other platforms may vary). Don't worry about the codec or format: TG accepts most using its own uploader and converts your video.

Hope that helps. :)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks rotunda thanked this post
  3. 12-06-2015, 03:07 PM
    Hi Barthax,

Thanks for your reply. I thought as much not too bad really as I did expect that and it makes sense as it should be the legit game on the legit console etc etc.But it does mean I need to get a PS1 from the US which will slow things down a bit. This also means my screenshot is invalid (as i expected) as that was done on an emulator.

Thanks for the info on the video's I never knew you had to show it from start to finish although that makes perfect sense to show it booting up, loading, playing etc as I'm sure some people could be sneaky about it.

Very helpful thank you. Time to go shopping for a NTSC PS1.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  4. 12-06-2015, 10:59 PM
    A Ridge Racer fan, NICE!

If you don't know about it, there's a pretty cool website dedicated to arcade racers and has some great competition for the Ridge Racer games. http://www.rolling-start.com

Looking forward to seeing some Ridge Racer submissions
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
    Likes rotunda liked this post
  5. 12-07-2015, 06:17 AM
    Certainly am a Ridge Racer fan. I've been playing it on and off since 96'

I actually owned the sit down arcade machine as well once. It was great!

I'm trying to source both a PAL ps1 and NTSC ps1 and i will try and break every record on TG.

Just need to source them and I'll give it a go as I actually use my raspberry pi 2 at the moment for all my retro gaming needs.
  6. 12-08-2015, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    OK some bad news wrapped in some quick synopsis: generally no emulators, no mods, consoles play their own regions (no chips to play NTSC imports on PAL) - if you get a PAL console, PAL games are a requirement / if you want to play NTSC you need an NTSC console. NTSC & PAL are tracked separately for most platforms.
    Can you confirm my thoughts that hardware backwards compatibility is acceptable? Meaning if you want to submit to a PS1 NTSC track for Ridge Racer, you could use an NTSC game and NTSC PS2 console to do so. I'm thinking hardware backwards compatibility is acceptable but software backwards compatibility is NOT.
  7. 12-08-2015, 09:18 AM
    I would like to know this as well as i would then be able to get a PS3 which has Ridge Racer 7 on it which I'd like to play again instead of an old PS1.
  8. 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM
    If I recall correctly, using a PS2 to play a PS1 game is acceptable for score based games, but not time based games. I believe this is due to the PS2 models that use emulation tend to run faster.
  9. 12-08-2015, 03:17 PM
    PS2 can be used to submit PS1 games of the same hardware region (NTSC vs. PAL) as there is essentially a PS1 inside the PS2 original/"fat". Games which use time built into the game (like Ridge Racer) are OK to use PS2. The only exception is with manually-timed runs: these must be on original PS1 hardware (otherwise the PS2's optical spin speed would be an advantage to many timed runs).

PS3 hardware has never yet been accepted for PS2 nor PS1 submissions (nor the Xbox 360 to submit Xbox original) that I'm aware of. Although the original model had hardware emulation, it was banned under old TG. Strictly speaking the slim PS2 doesn't have hardware for PS1 so should fall into the same category but I've no idea if this has been tested.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
    Thanks rotunda thanked this post
    Likes rotunda liked this post
  10. 12-08-2015, 04:13 PM
    Barthax, so a PS2 fat model will be fine for use on Ridge Racer? If that's the case that is great news as i am actually having trouble finding a decent, well priced PS1 and actually wouldn't mind a PS2 for Ridge Racer V and Tekken 4 plus afew other games.

A local store has one for £15 complete with all cables and a controller so if they really can be used I will go and pick it up tomorrow.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us