Nintendo Entertainment System - Top Gun - NTSC - Points - 1,083,200 - Kyle Nelson

Is the performance claim below valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 04-15-2016, 06:30 AM
    This is tough. When I play Jackal for extended periods of time, I get like 2.5min each time I beat the game. I definitely maximize those 2.5min each time even if it's just refreshing my water jar or hitting the head. The difference is the prompt I think - Top Gun waits for you to press start when Jackal just rolls on and it starts whether or not you're ready to play again. Is that a major disqualifying difference? Not sure. Don't think so. Either way it's time in the game when you don't have to be actively playing.

The one thing I can say for sure is that you can submit your score for the 892,100 that you got right before you took the break. Not the same as the 1M+ you put up but still a whopper of a score. And I'm not saying this run is invalid either we're still working that out.
  2. 04-15-2016, 06:49 AM
    One opinion I have about the marathon rules as outlined - having the term Marathon in the track name I think is bogus. It applies to a lot of titles where there are two tracks, one TGTS and one Marathon, but I don't think it should apply to titles where there is only one points track.
  3. 04-15-2016, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    One opinion I have about the marathon rules as outlined - having the term Marathon in the track name I think is bogus. It applies to a lot of titles where there are two tracks, one TGTS and one Marathon, but I don't think it should apply to titles where there is only one points track.
    Totally agree on that point...there are some tracks where it just says "points" or something similar, then there is "tournament settings" track, as well. If the gameplay is lasting 12 hours, I strongly believe it should count as a marathon attempt no matter the game or track description...

Perhaps Jace or someone on staff can change that wording, or clarify what exactly that means.
    Likes thegamer1185, HugDD, creech liked this post
  4. 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
    Exactly guys, good points. I mean it's a 7 hour long play, pretty much a full work day and you get a half hour for that to eat and use the restroom. Like I stated, it's a whole different ball game if I paused during play but I didn't. This game just has the luxury of the player activating the next start instead of, as Ben said Jackal, which automatically starts whether your there or not. I guess I feel I didn't "break" any rules that are listed by TG in the standards policy, or lack there of since nothing is stated about regarding this type of circumstance. Which Top Gun can't be the only game that has the player physically activate the next play so this will probably occur again. And I don't think I was breaking any spirit of the game rules by taking an 8 minute break after having played over 5 hours before doing so. Think that is about all the convincing I can do regarding this. Think I'll PM Jace about it just to get his take on it since as I state, this can't be the only game that has this as a possibility of happening.
    Thanks HugDD thanked this post
    Likes HugDD liked this post
  5. 04-15-2016, 07:13 PM
    I have been asked to provide clarity on this thread. While I can not adjudicate, what I can do is restate the rules.

When a track is specifically titled as "Marathon" is when the special marathon rule set should be applied.

Marathon rules are a special circumstance with expectations and should not be cross-mixed with "regular" track's rule sets.

This adjudication does not fall under the marathon specific rule set.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Thanks HugDD, thegamer1185 thanked this post
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
  6. 04-15-2016, 08:25 PM
    Thanks for getting back Jace. Well ****, so were back to square one but made some progress on what to focus on. So no "crossing the streams"(ghostbusters) or in this case cross-rules using. Since this has been declared as a non-marathon run based on the rules and Jace's message, we don't need to look further into that area of rules. So I guess the real question is then, is my taking a break during credits breaking any rules according to the standard TG rules policy that makes this valid or invalid. What do you guys think? Obviously, being my run and my previous statements, I think I'm in the clear but I'm always open to what you guys think.
  7. 04-15-2016, 08:49 PM
    I personally consider 7 hours marathon play. Why is 12 hours considered a marathon by the way? Why 12 hours? It's just a time someone came up with. At the same time where do I draw the line as far as hours of play to be considered a marathon? I think more than 5 constitutes it. This is more grey area. I would like to think a marathon is 24 hours plus, but 7 hours is nothing to sneeze at. And I also agree with Pete Hahn about for instance the Mame Galaga Marathon and Tourney tracks. Marathon is 3 lives Tourney is 5, well, what if you play the tourney 5 lives for a good amount of hours. I think the descriptions should just be changed there. To 3 life and 5 life. I'm not a marathon authority. I'm not voting and will eagerly follow this discussion as well, but but if I had to lean one way or another this is a marathon performance.
  8. 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM
    Depends on the game as well. Not to beat a dead horse but 7 hours of Donkey Kong isn't a marathon?
  9. 04-15-2016, 08:59 PM
    Okay, 3 hours of DK. Don't want to be hypothetical.
  10. 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM
    Thanks for replying Creech. I get what your saying about how long of play makes it a marathon play. But....it has been established this not a marathon play by rule so that's where we're at. So the question is, does my taking a break for 8 minutes go against any "regular" gameplay rules making this play invalid after the break taken?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Join us