Nintendo Entertainment System - Bad Dudes - EMU - Points - 69,700 - Andrew Mee

Is this Performance Claim valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Atreides View Post
    That's just it. I'm certain that it WILL be tracked when the NX comes out - which is why we don't need it twice (or 14 times). Some tracks are inevitable as games are made, I can accept that. But adding tracks to the database unnecessarily should be avoided in my opinion.
    Retron 5 was nearly added as a new platform in the same manner as the Jaks stuff. The Atari Flashback got some serious discussion about being added as a new platform but there was a reasonable sized voice in accepting such as emulation submissions because the option was already there. OK, so: 1 encompassing emulation track vs a distinct track for each of the different third-party remakes of the NES. You have a voice & you can make your opinion known but, as with the "Duplicate Tracks" thread: you do not have the right to prevent someone else adding to the scoreboard.

I don't really see how this benefits anyone except those trying to avoid paying game publishers for their games.
    I already do that and I buy originals games: they're primarily 2nd hand as is the entire back catalogue of the NES. I am struggling to understand the relevance of this comment. The culture will not change just because of a scoreboard. Note also that you're also submitting to MAME tracks: are you depriving the manufacturer/arcade owner of your credit money?

Also, emulators are VERY easy to cheat on - it's going to become an adjudication nightmare. WolfMAME is difficult enough to adjudicate as it is and it has built-in anti-cheat measures.
    You've not followed the discussion sufficiently as the problem with the WolfMAME submissions is because we rely on the INP: not the video evidence. In all non-MAME submissions, video evidence is the primary source of evidence and is as easy to cheat as it is with any camera/direct capture of real machines: always simplistic.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  2. 05-01-2016, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    You have a voice & you can make your opinion known but, as with the "Duplicate Tracks" thread: you do not have the right to prevent someone else adding to the scoreboard.
    Thanks for telling me what my rights are I guess? I'm trying to an intelligent discourse about adding platforms to the database; the positives and the negatives.

There is no NEED to add additional emulation platforms to the database at this time. The games are easily available. With the Everdrive you can have literally every NES title for instance and compete against real NES carts. Why would anyone want to compete on the emulator version of Bad Dudes when they could compete against the best players using an Everdrive?

So what benefit does adding NES have? As far as I can see it only dilutes the database and lessens competition by spreading it over more "platforms".

Where does it end? Do we add a platform for every emulator out there? Every version of every emulator? Who does that help?
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  3. 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM
    Let me be honest here Pete: You're a good guy, but it looks like you just want to add tracks to the database so you can have more 1st place records and avoid competition. That may not be your intent, but that is what it looks like.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
  4. 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM
    Thanks for telling me what my rights are I guess? I'm trying to an intelligent discourse about adding platforms to the database; the positives and the negatives.
    Thanks for the qualification of your perspective. As you can see from my expectation above: I expected it to be about duplicating what's already on the scoreboard... Errr... how is this debate different again?

There is no NEED to add additional emulation platforms to the database at this time. The games are easily available. With the Everdrive you can have literally every NES title for instance and compete against real NES carts.
    With a deep pocket and the willingness to hunt them down. Newsflash: gamer's are from all backgrounds in life: rich and poor. ;) Why would you require a price to be put on participation of a scoreboard?

Why would anyone want to compete on the emulator version of Bad Dudes when they could compete against the best players using an Everdrive?
    There's an intelligent answer which I've already pointed out in the thread but I forgive you for missing it as it wasn't voiced in this capacity. Bad Dudes is not available to me because it is NTSC only. The PAL region version is Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja - probably the exact same game (I do own it) but with the slow-down of the poorer PAL-region NES CPU. So I don't get to experience the game at "NTSC" speeds on my real hardware with my real cart. I don't get to compete against your runs on a like-for-like basis at all so I can do the next-best thing by using emulation. Also, like the game you suggested via PM some time back: there are games for which there simply are no PAL versions.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  5. 05-01-2016, 09:57 AM
    With a deep pocket and the willingness to hunt them down. Newsflash: gamer's are from all backgrounds in life: rich and poor. ;) Why would you require a price to be put on participation of a scoreboard?
    With an Everdrive which is about $100 and an NES toaster which should cost around $50 you can have literally every NES game ever made.

Bad Dudes is not available to me because it is NTSC only. The PAL region version is Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja - probably the exact same game (I do own it) but with the slow-down of the poorer PAL-region NES CPU. So I don't get to experience the game at "NTSC" speeds on my real hardware with my real cart. I don't get to compete against your runs on a like-for-like basis at all so I can do the next-best thing by using emulation. Also, like the game you suggested via PM some time back: there are games for which there simply are no PAL versions.
    Ok, I must admit that is a good point. I play PAL games in the US, but it's not an easy or ***** setup I acknowledge. Many games are available on the Wii VC, but there are many that are not. So... good point.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    Thanks Barthax, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  6. 05-01-2016, 12:40 PM
    With an Everdrive which is about $100 and an NES toaster which should cost around $50 you can have literally every NES game ever made.
    ... you don't offer an opinion of whether that appears inexpensive to yourself but based on your previous comments I'll make the assumption that you do.

For ten years I was in negative income and video gaming has been my outlet for life's frustrations since a child. For a ten year period I know for certain that £1 was too expensive: food, nappies, clothing were more important. Heating was a luxury: we would just add more layers and huddle. I had an Amiga from prior to this time and had to get a PC out of a loan for my higher education (which put me & my family further in debt but this was an aim to get out of the situation which eventually paid off). There were a couple of weeks in this time that my wife & I fed our children but ate primarily potatoes ourselves: potatoes can be a low-cost source of food in large quantities we could get - piecing together scraps otherwise. I never, ever, consider a value as too low for all people. I find it a remarkable insult to numerous people in both our countries for me to consider that. I understand others will find themselves in better positions in life/experience and this may not cross their mind as expensive. I make no judgement on them thusly. However, to blindly quote any arbitrary amount as being inexpensive for everyone is simply false.
    Thanks HugDD, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes HugDD, JJT_Defender liked this post
  7. 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM
    You guys are BAD DUDES!
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  8. 05-01-2016, 01:11 PM
    My father once said to me.."$50 isn't much money, but it is when you haven't got it"

Insert your own circumstance $ figure to the above quote, and it's true every time.

john

john

9. 05-01-2016, 01:21 PM
    ... you don't offer an opinion of whether that appears inexpensive to yourself but based on your previous comments I'll make the assumption that you do. ... I never, ever, consider a value as too low for all people. ... However, to blindly quote any arbitrary amount as being inexpensive for everyone is simply false.
    I hear ya, I grew up ridiculously poor myself - like Midwest trailer park, clothes that didn't fit, free lunch program kind of poor. But no matter what the cost, there is a minimum cost. In the case of emulation for instance, there is the cost of the computer to run it and the electricity to power it. I'm of the opinion that $150 to compete on 600 NES titles is a pretty good deal - and that's if you don't shop around. Still, that's not pocket change for most people, which is fair.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    Likes HugDD, JJT_Defender liked this post
  10. 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM
    With an Everdrive which is about $100
    $150-ish shipped. Just saying

Carry on!
    Likes Cthulhu, JJT_Defender liked this post
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast