How do I propose a "sub" track

1. How do I propose a "sub" track

06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
    Hello all,

I want to create a sub track under the parent mame rom, "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed][M.A.M.E.]". I think it would look more organized if all the different variant tracks are listed under the parent rom so that once you click on it (the parent rom), you can scroll down and see them all as opposed to seeing all of them come up when you type in "galaga" as a search (in the root?). Somehow, some of the sub tracks are already listed in the root and over time this list will keep on growing, which is fine, but it will look very unorganized.

For example, this is what it should look like once you type in "galaga" under MAME to be searched. The bulleted tracks indicate a "sub track" that you wouldn't see after your search result comes up.

-------------------------------------------------

Galaga '88[M.A.M.E.]
    Galaga 3 [rev.C][M.A.M.E.]
    Galaga [Fast Shot Speed][M.A.M.E.]
    • Galaga [Fast Shot Speed] [Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]][M.A.M.E.]
    • Galaga [Fast Shot Speed] [Points [Tournament]][M.A.M.E.]

Galaga [Namco rev.B][M.A.M.E.]
    • Galaga [Namco rev.B][Points [Marathon]]
    • Galaga [Namco rev.B][Points [Marathon / Kill-Screen]]
    • Galaga [Namco rev.B][Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]]
    • Galaga [Namco rev.B][Points [Tournament]]
    • Galaga [Namco rev.B][Points [Tournament / No Double Ship]]

Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga: Class of 1981 [Galaga - Points [Fast Shot Speed - Tournament]][M.A.M.E.]

This looks a hell-of-a-lot cleaner than the way it is now. Just my $.02. :)
    - Stephen "The Galaga King" Krogman -

[U]Galaga Credentials[/U]:

Arcade - Marathon - 15,999,990
    Arcade - 5-Men - 3,276,030 [live @ Free-Play Florida 2015]
    Arcade - Fast Fire - Marathon - 11,999,990 [unofficial]
    MAME - Marathon - 5,679,450
    MAME - Fast Fire - Marathon - 20,518,900
    MAME - No Dual Ship - 5-Men - 453,470
    MAME - No Dual Ship - Marathon - 1,112,520
    MAME (Class of '81 Reunion) - Fast Fire - 5-Men - 10,000,160
    DS (Namco MuseumDS) - Marathon - 3,499,980
  2. 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM
    The only part of the track creation form which governs where the track is created is the Game Name. MAME is unusual in that the game name typically reflects the additional information given by MAME.

Anyway, for "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed] [Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]][M.A.M.E.]" you would use "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed]" for the game name in the form and "Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]" for the Description field in the form. When TG lists the game it adds [] around the Description (for added confusion). One of those minor display issues which would be easier if each field was listed on a line of its own... but so minor it's not worth making any fuss over! ;)
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  3. 06-26-2016, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Barthax View Post
    The only part of the track creation form which governs where the track is created is the Game Name. MAME is unusual in that the game name typically reflects the additional information given by MAME.

Anyway, for "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed] [Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]][M.A.M.E.]" you would use "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed]" for the game name in the form and "Points [Marathon / No Double Ship]" for the Description field in the form. When TG lists the game it adds [] around the Description (for added confusion). One of those minor display issues which would be easier if each field was listed on a line of its own... but so minor it's not worth making any fuss over! ;)

Thanks Andrew for the feedback. So if I understand correctly, if I create another track under "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed][M.A.M.E.]", and call it "[Points [only challenging stages]]", what's in green won't get duplicated in the search results because there's already a game name worded the same way, and as far as what's in blue, this will go into the description field so that when I click on game name, one of the entries on the next screen should read: "Galaga [Fast shot Speed] [Points [only challenging stages]". Correct?

If I'm right about this, I wonder what can be done to have it changed. There should only be 5 game names that come up when "Galaga" is searched. The results page should look like this:

Galaga '88[M.A.M.E.]
    Galaga 3 [rev.C][M.A.M.E.]
    Galaga [Fast Shot Speed][M.A.M.E.]
    Galaga [Namco rev.B][M.A.M.E.]
    Ms.
    Pac-Man / Galaga: Class of 1981 [Galaga][M.A.M.E]

Instead of using:
    Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga: Class of 1981 [Galaga - Points [Fast Shot Speed - Tournament]][M.A.M.E.]
    which is the way it's currently worded.

I'm also not crazy about seeing the 5th game name start with "Ms. Pacman". Even though Galaga is a game you play within this rom, it's not the source of the game. Meaning, as an arcade cab, "Ms. Pacman / Galaga: Class of 1981 is the name of the cabinet that includes several games within. So I understand why it would start with "Ms. Pacman". I'm just curious if it could be worded to reflect "Galaga" as the first part of the game name for consistency purposes, then followed by the rest of the information.
    - Stephen "The Galaga King" Krogman -

[U]Galaga Credentials[/U]:

Arcade - Marathon - 15,999,990
    Arcade - 5-Men - 3,276,030 [live @ Free-Play Florida 2015]
    Arcade - Fast Fire - Marathon - 11,999,990 [unofficial]
    MAME - Marathon - 5,679,450
    MAME - Fast Fire - Marathon - 20,518,900
    MAME - No Dual Ship - 5-Men - 453,470
    MAME - No Dual Ship - Marathon - 1,112,520
    MAME (Class of '81 Reunion) - Fast Fire - 5-Men - 10,000,160
    DS (Namco MuseumDS) - Marathon - 3,499,980
  4. 06-26-2016, 11:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smkrogman View Post
    Thanks Andrew for the feedback. So if I understand correctly, if I create another track under "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed][M.A.M.E.]", and call it "[Points [only challenging stages]]", what's in green won't get duplicated in the search results because there's already a game name worded the same way, and as far as what's in blue, this will go into the description field so that when I click on game name, one of the entries on the next screen should read: "Galaga [Fast shot Speed] [Points [only challenging stages]". Correct?
    Not quite - the game name doesn't include the platform. So you'd enter into the form the game name "Galaga [Fast Shot Speed]". Note also - when you're entering the game name, if you pause it will pop-up with the existing game names which closely match. The longer your input, the more targetted that input. So, put in Galaga and then wait for the pop-up, add a space and the [ and the list should reduce to an easy selection. Use the mouse to select from the drop-down to be certain it matches precisely:

Name:  Galaga drop-down.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  27.0 KB

... Then enter "Points [only challenging stages]" into the Description bit.

As for the mistakes you mention (also shown in my screenshot), you should e-mail franny -at- twingalaxies.com to request a change.
    Last edited by Barthax; 06-27-2016 at 12:02 AM.
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
Join us