Robotron 2017 Vid Kidz 35th Anniversary Gauntlet Challenge

  1. 08-18-2016, 08:09 AM
    I'll be doing some 1 and 2 hours runs on my channel every now and then.. follow my twitch or look for it in the upper right to pop up...
    Likes OOO liked this post
  2. 08-18-2016, 04:33 PM
    I ordered TIe-Dye roms a few days ago. I'm rusty but can still roll the waves although my scoring rate is currently no where near Ken's or David's. I think my best 1-hour score is like 4.2M.
    Likes OOO liked this post
  3. 08-19-2016, 01:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    I ordered TIe-Dye roms a few days ago. I'm rusty but can still roll the waves although my scoring rate is currently no where near Ken's or David's. I think my best 1-hour score is like 4.2M.
    It would be great to have you on-board Donald ... good timing on the ROMs too ... and it would be great to hear from you as you are quite a mystery person. So many great achievements you have, but you are so so so quiet after all these decades. Please let's hear what you think and your views ... as you have a lot of supporters in the CAG world and maybe, just maybe, you hit the IVGHOF class for 2016 ...

    And I think you are planning greater things than your post suggests.
    I had a spy go check out the arcade recently and look at what he found ... a bit rusty eh? ...



    That's 2.2 million of 100 million ... nice work!
    Last edited by OOO; 08-19-2016 at 01:37 AM.
  4. 08-19-2016, 07:25 AM
    Wow, cool stuff above.
    I see on KLOV that someone is gearing up for a run, who has never tried a marathon before.

    to clarify, I am NOT playing, just helping orchestrate the fun.
    David Gomez was very involved in helping generate this...in fact I was not going to try another gauntlet after the first two events TGL hosted...but David was adamant that it needed to be resurrected for the community. Last I heard he was not playing, but who knows.....

    If you let us know ahead of time, the Vid Kidz themselves love watching the players stream, so whoever tries definitely has their support. And you might even end up with LED himself in your stream chat. who knows....

    good luck and god speed, yah'll
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

    TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
  5. 08-19-2016, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    Wow, cool stuff above.
    I see on KLOV that someone is gearing up for a run, who has never tried a marathon before.
    As you are important in the success of this challenge, OK, who is it on KLOV and what's the background story?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    To clarify, I am NOT playing, just helping orchestrate the fun.
    Great stuff that you support the challenge, but if you change your mind, have a few games!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    David Gomez was very involved in helping generate this...in fact I was not going to try another gauntlet after the first two events TGL hosted...but David was adamant that it needed to be resurrected for the community. Last I heard he was not playing, but who knows.....
    Well that's great that David is driving this .. he is one of the famous 2, so it would be great if he could play ...

    Just over 4 months to go ... and so far we have Ken House, maybe Donald Hayes, Matthew Torrez, Mr KLOV and who else? Mark do you know if anyone is in contact with Abdner? What about all the other names out there in Robotron 2084? You know them better than anyone, please suggest your line up ...
    Last edited by OOO; 08-19-2016 at 08:24 PM.
  6. 08-19-2016, 10:48 PM
    Just over 4 months to go ... and so far we have Ken House, maybe Donald Hayes, Matthew Torrez, Mr KLOV and who else? Mark do you know if anyone is in contact with Abdner? What about all the other names out there in Robotron 2084? You know them better than anyone, please suggest your line up ...
    I'm going to do what I can, but these other guys are in a league above me.
  7. 08-19-2016, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrie View Post
    I'm going to do what I can, but these other guys are in a league above me.
    It's great that you are making the attempt in itself ... kudos for trying ...
    ... and I am sure as you keep practising and learning, you will just play better and better ...
  8. 08-20-2016, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrie View Post
    I'm going to do what I can, but these other guys are in a league above me.
    this is a challenge with one coveted prize at the finish line. don't worry about the psyche out, just take action and try. I honestly suspect in all the talking that the main people won't want that much agony to reach the finish line.

    and we will end up with a completely unknown or darkhorse stepping up to be the hero from the shadows. That's what the next 16 months are going to bring.

    I learned to marathon robo in 12 months of focus from having zero experience bitd in 82-83 up to 2010ish, some folks can do the same in 3 months. 16 months is enough time for even a player that today has never tried the game before to be a serious contender. plus now the community has the robo guidebook with all the general skill knowledge needed to succeed.

    abdner has no access to play a machine is what he tells me. and robo is harder than just walking up and playing at a high level after no years of experience....unlike ms pac. Billy says ms pac is the one game he can play well with no practice, unlike pacman or the other games he knows.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

    TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
  9. 08-20-2016, 08:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Powrie View Post
    I'm going to do what I can, but these other guys are in a league above me.
    another observation. This challenge intentionally leveled the playing field of years of experience needed to reach the finish line.

    I know of only 3 verified folks who can reach 10mil on max difficulty 10. Probably another dozen who might tell you they can, but the proof is in the pudding...and that number I have is 3ish. A skilllevel for 30yr vets of the game.

    if you think tournament setting masters would automatically equate to marathoner masters, that isn't accurate. a game of TGTS takes just minutes and never even reaches the last hardcoded wave (40), this challenge takes over 20 hours and over 3000 waves (yah, three thousand waves!). Totally different challenge with totally different biological and psychological obstacles.

    I know of only 3-4 folks who can roll the lives on difficulty 5/25k bonus. Which takes between 17million and 50million worth of points to have enough time to build the lives. very difficult to do and requires a high level of mastery, in the many years of practice range.

    but this challenge is at the starting difficulty or up. 20k bonus life or up. Someone within a year can learn to run long enough to reach the finish line, just like in a real race with someone who trains a year for a 26 mile marathon. You CAN run that far, maybe not be invited to the Boston marathon but you CAN run that far with training.

    I would guesstimate there are at least 1000 people right now who actively play robo who can run 100m points if they had the tenacity and committment to try. On a global scale, beyond folks who see US forums or word of mouth.....I would guess there are 10,000 who could compete here.

    So if you are in any way thinking about stepping into the arena of the robotrons....you have a shot at this. Seriously.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

    TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
  10. 08-21-2016, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    another observation. This challenge intentionally leveled the playing field of years of experience needed to reach the finish line.

    I know of only 3 verified folks who can reach 10mil on max difficulty 10. Probably another dozen who might tell you they can, but the proof is in the pudding...and that number I have is 3ish. A skilllevel for 30yr vets of the game.

    if you think tournament setting masters would automatically equate to marathoner masters, that isn't accurate. a game of TGTS takes just minutes and never even reaches the last hardcoded wave (40), this challenge takes over 20 hours and over 3000 waves (yah, three thousand waves!). Totally different challenge with totally different biological and psychological obstacles.

    I know of only 3-4 folks who can roll the lives on difficulty 5/25k bonus. Which takes between 17million and 50million worth of points to have enough time to build the lives. very difficult to do and requires a high level of mastery, in the many years of practice range.

    but this challenge is at the starting difficulty or up. 20k bonus life or up. Someone within a year can learn to run long enough to reach the finish line, just like in a real race with someone who trains a year for a 26 mile marathon. You CAN run that far, maybe not be invited to the Boston marathon but you CAN run that far with training.

    I would guesstimate there are at least 1000 people right now who actively play robo who can run 100m points if they had the tenacity and committment to try. On a global scale, beyond folks who see US forums or word of mouth.....I would guess there are 10,000 who could compete here.

    So if you are in any way thinking about stepping into the arena of the robotrons....you have a shot at this. Seriously.
    Nicely written and a good assessment of likely candidate numbers ... "I would guess there are 10,000 who could compete here."

    OK you guys and gals out there ... an expert says so many of you can do it ... well what are you waiting for?

    I still would like Abdner to come forward ... someone go contact him please. Ken House says he is going to collect the money and Donald has gone quiet again ... oh well I guess there is a fair bit of time to get there ... or is there? ...
    Last edited by OOO; 08-21-2016 at 05:13 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us