7 = OFF/UNUSED
    8 = OFF
    Dip-Switch Bank 6K:
    1-3 = OFF
    4-6 = ON
    7-8 = OFF
    Rapid Fire P.C. Board:
    Position B: Normal
    Note: The above Dip Switches are the correct Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings for this title and will provide the following settings;
    5 Lives
    Extra Ships: None
    Difficulty: Rank D
    Special Rules: Attempts for this variation may be done on Marathon Settings, but once you've lost your 4th Life, you may not allow your ship to be captured or your Tournament Score attempt ends immediately. Useage of the trick to cause enemies to stop firing is banned. It has been deemed permissible for a player to intentionally play on the player 2 side so as to allow the millions-digit to show up in the final score.
    Special Note: There are some Midway boardsets where Dip-Switch Bank 6J: has Dips 1 and 2 in Reverse to get Rank D and 5 Lives. Adjustments to these 2 Dips can be made accordingly to establish the settings correctly.

Note added 6/15/2009 by KRF
    Submission Message
    Hello,
    My name is Peyton Youmans and I believe I set a legitimate world record score of 6,023,990 on Galaga tournament settings on 30 December 2016.
    Because credibility is the cornerstone of evaluating these record submissions, I will be completely transparent about who I am and thorough in explaining how I came to pursue this record.
    I am a 46 year old father of three, residing in Richmond, VA. For much of my adult life I have worked for the Army - first as an Army Medic from 1991-1997 and since 2010 as a Civilian Military Analyst and SharePoint Administrator at Fort Lee, VA. I have college degrees in Computer Networking and Business Administration.
    I believe that I am the only adult Peyton Youmans on Facebook and if any person adjudicating this score wants to friend me and /or check me out / ask me questions, I welcome you to do so.
    I started playing Galaga in 1982 or 83 when I was 12 years old when the Hungry Howies across the street from my home in Atlanta added a machine. Me and my best buddy would go there every day after school and play for a couple of hours and I became a very good player in a very short time. I played frequently throughout my teens and was proud when I became a player that could “roll the machine over” a million points.
    Throughout the last 25 years I have run across a Galaga machine two or three times a year and every time I played I would see that my skills were still as strong as ever. I had never at any point over the years thought about looking for a Galaga competition, I played for the enjoyment of the game.The truth is that I am not a “gamer”.I have owned a few game systems over the years but I only play the occasional sports game.My main hobby over the last three years has been Texas Hold’em poker, and the leagues I play in hold games in bars all across Richmond.
    Several months ago a bar in Chester VA where we play poker twice a week added a 25th anniversary Ms. Pac Man / Galaga machine, and I started playing games every time I would get busted out of a tournament.
    The Wild Rose Galaga machine awards only 2 extra ships (tournament settings) but I thought that was cool because I routinely ran the machine just short of the million mark. I figured with the machine only giving two extra ships my list of 999,000+ high scores would look extra impressive.
    On one night in early December I went out of the poker tournament early and played Galaga while my girlfriend Alexandra remained in the tournament. When she finished she came to me and I casually observed that I had my score over 800,000 without any ships being lost. When we left the bar and we were talking it occurred to me that I am probably one of the very best players in the world, and I said to her “Alexandra, I sincerely believe that I am one of the best Galaga players in the world, and I don’t think there is a limit to what I can do on this game. I am going to determine the world record for this setting (5 ships) and see if I can break it. To her credit as a girlfriend, she did not laugh at me. I looked up the record and several sources showed it as 4,525,150 by Andrew Laidlaw.That seemed doable to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15878708_10154367615928299_88435548_n.jpg  
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  2. 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
    The submission cut off my submission halfway, so here is the rest.
    When I was looking up the record, I learned for the first time that the player 2 score has 7 digits, so scores in the millions can be captured. I had never realized that before, so I played all games on player 2 from this point forward.
    I went back to the Wild Rose several days later to take my first shot. The bartenders were surprised to see me there in the afternoon and I informed them of my intentions to break the world record on the machine and told them I was going to make the Wild Rose famous. Over the next couple of weeks I shared with all of the Wild Rose staff my intentions, they all knew why I was in there.On that first day I scored 2.1 million in the first game and 2.8 million in the second game. In the second game I reached stage 226, the best I had ever done, and I told Alexandra that those scores gave me confidence that I was going to break the record.
    Setting a goal such as this changed the way I thought about the game. I had always played by raw instinct and for fun, but once I set a goal to set the world record, I knew it would be necessary for me to analyze those situations where I would lose ships, and see if I could take a corrective action based on those situations.
    The game of Galaga, once a player surpasses stage 10, is the same three stage game over and over.For a truly advanced player, or at least an elite player, the first and third of these stages presents little to no danger.It is in the middle stage where the danger lies, particularly when the last set of bees swarms onto the screen.The kamikaze nature of these bees and the violent path they take sideways in order to destroy you is tricky to avoid. This is the part of the game where I too would make most of my mistakes.
    On 28 December I showed up at the Wild Rose at 4pm to take another shot. I played a game that ended at about 1.6 million and then I played another game that ended at approximately 2.4 million.During that second game I found a real rhythm in manipulating the path of the kamikaze bee ships and their bullets with the positioning of my own ships during the stage.The average player doesn’t realize this is possible and the really good players have a hard time executing it, but I perfected it during this game on 28 Dec.After the game was over I told Alexandra that I might be too tired to break the record that night, but I had figured out what I needed to do and that I was going to break it very soon.
    I played one more game that night, starting at 10pm. I lost a ship at 500,000 and two more at 2.4 million.I jokingly told Alexandra “no problem, all I have to do is knock out 2 million more points without making any more mistakes, and I am exhausted, but I got this”. But then I found a rhythm and soon found myself at a point in the game where I had never been…..the stage reset.
    When I completed level 255, the machine showed me level 0. The men came out really fast, but they didn’t fire and they set up in a formation that looked to be similar to level 1. Following that stage the stages started over a level 1 and proceeded as normal.I later read up and understand this behavior from the machine is consistent with a machine that is set on the hardest level.
    As I passed 4 million in that game on 28 December, I became convinced that I was going to set the record. But I made a mistake, due to carelessness or exhaustion, and my game ended at 4,277,110. I was bummed that I came so close and missed but also more confident than ever that I would break the record. I posted a screen shot of the score on my FB page and went through the whole story of my pursuit of the record.
    The following day I went and took another shot, but I made a couple of mistakes and ended my game at 1.8 million. I only had time for one game because I had an important poker tournament that night.
    On Friday afternoon I got off work at noon and decided to take another shot. The only person in the bar when I arrived was the bartender named Michael Benton, and he was well aware of my goal so he brought me over a Diet Pepsi and two Red Bulls without me even asking. Alexandra was supposed to go to the YMCA and meet me an hour and a half later.My first game lasted only about 20 minutes, I lost a couple of men due to a mistake and decided to start fresh due to the bad start. I often treat the first game as a warm up anyway.
    On the second game I reached 2 million without losing a ship, but then I lost one at 2.1 million and another at 2.3 million. I feared that I would fall short again but attempted to crank up my intensity to avoid that happening. I had hoped Alexandra would be at the bar by now to record segments of my game but I would learn later that her daughter had locked the keys in the car at the YMCA, and they ended up waiting an hour and a half for a locksmith to show up. So it was just me playing and Michael Benton in the bar keeping me company as his only customer.
    When I reached over 4 million and Alexandra still was not there, I took the extreme measure of asking the bartender to stop working and start recording my game. So he picked up my phone and started recording when I was approximately 4,450,000, about 75,000 short of the record.He recorded for close to 3 minutes, through about 7 stages, and captured me breaking the record, at which point I get pretty emotional in the recording. Unfortunately he had a customer arrive (this can be heard on the recording) and had to stop recording.He came back a while later and recorded several more minutes of footage.
    At the time I broke the record, the bar manager, Martin Madali had come into the bar and I informed him that I had succeeded in my effort. He had been aware of my efforts and had witnessed my Wednesday attempt that had come up short.He took some footage on his phone and then made a post on FB about me surpassing the record on the Wild Rose Galaga machine.
    After I passed the record, the game felt much easier for a while, with the pressure off. I cruised through another million points and my girlfriend and daughter arrived on the scene as well. I crashed my next ship at 5.8 million after scoring nearly 3.5 million points without losing a single ship.Exhaustion was starting to set in, and after my ship was captured, I made an error and shot my own ship, leaving me to a loan ship.
    Around this time an acquaintance named Stephanie Jacobsen came into the bar, providing a 5th witness to my final score.
    At this point I was at 5.9 million approximately and asked Alexandra to record the finish of my game. Her video captures me moving through stages 198-208 (the second time through) with my single ship and surpassing the 6,000,000 mark. She turned the camera off at this point and I lost my last ship on the next stage.She turned the camera on for a few more seconds to insure that she captured my final score of 6,023,990.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15878708_10154367615928299_88435548_n.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	22359

I know this post has been long, but absent a full video of my game, which at nearly 4 hours would have been difficult to pull off, I felt it important to be thorough.
    The five videos I referenced, recorded by three different people, are all loaded to youtube and links are provided below.
    The bartender Michael Benton is a witness to the entire game and additional witnesses to my score are Martin Madali, Alexandra Duckworth, Summer Fraughnah, and Stephanie Jacobson. I would imagine I can get any of these witnesses to provide a statement regarding this submission if required.
    The address and phone number of the bar where I achieved this score is:
    Wild Rose
    4628 Chester Square Road
    Chester, VA 23831
    (804) 768-9090

I welcome any questions that anyone has about the game, and realizing this is an extraordinarily long submission, I am appreciative of any of those who chose to adjudicate it, whether they support certification of my score or not.
    Thanks.
    Peyton Youmans
    804-295-6159
    Peyton.youmans@gmail.com

Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM
    I'm pretty new. I hope this is enough evidence for the adjudication process(not sure), pretty believable, and a good story.
    I don't like Galaga. Just being honest. But there's a Galaga machine EVERYWHERE, so the record on it will be heavily scrutinized, as it is a VERY important game!

Hope this goes good for ya, Man, NICE Work!
    Droplets of Yes and No
    In an Ocean of Maybe...
  4. 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
    Awesome run but I think this is the wrong place for this score. You are playing on an anniversary cab not the real galaga machine unless you swapped the boards which was not shown.

A WR on a arcade track like this is a big deal and usually means a cold boot and filming of the entire inside of the cab either before or after the attempt. Board manufacturer and dip setting are usually a must as well. But I'm a hard ass on these so let's see what the community thinks, maybe I'm wrong on the board/cabinet.

Awesome playing for sure. Hell of a great score.
    john m brissie
    Thanks HugDD thanked this post
    Likes homerwannabee, Fly liked this post
  5. 01-03-2017, 06:45 PM
    After watching the footage where you have a single ship it looks to me like you have fast shoot on which is another track as well.

I don't see any starting footage so there is no way to really confirm that the rules are followed for 5 ships and no extra lives.
    john m brissie
    Likes homerwannabee, Fly liked this post
  6. 01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
    Rogerpocco thanks for the feedback and support.
  7. 01-03-2017, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Youmans View Post
    Rogerpocco thanks for the feedback and support.
    Appreciate your submission and game play. There should be a lot of conversation coming for this one since it's a highly visible game and record. I remember when Andrew got the record and that was a huge accomplishment at the time. Hard to believe you don't consider yourself a gamer. Play some and submit some scores, you might find you are a world class gaming machine.
    john m brissie
  8. 01-03-2017, 07:34 PM
    John Brissie,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Yes I realized that the question of my personal integrity would come up, and that is why I went through such great lengths to tell everything about myself. But I do understand.

The cabinet argument is a little bit tougher for me. I don't see a category for 5 ships on a Ms. Pac Man / Galaga machine. Will Twin Galaxies create a new category for my score? It would be a record on this machine even with 18 lives it looks like. But might as well get it in the right category.

As far as the board settings, do I just ask the bar to rip open their machine so I can record them? Are they easy to find and record?

I will definitely record the entire game next time, but first I guess I need to find the right machine. I think a lot of records would fall if all this documenting was simpler.

Does anybody know if there is a database of Galaga machines with their settings?
  9. 01-03-2017, 07:37 PM
    jmb, thanks for your comments. What I meant by that is that I don't play a lot of different games. I just happen to have world class talent in this one game.

Ok, I probably was the best in the world at Madden 04 too, but that's only because I played it for 8 years while everybody else was buying new versions every year lol.
  10. 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peyton Youmans View Post
    jmb, thanks for your comments. What I meant by that is that I don't play a lot of different games. I just happen to have world class talent in this one game.

Ok, I probably was the best in the world at Madden 04 too, but that's only because I played it for 8 years while everybody else was buying new versions every year lol.
    Oh, madden, you should find plenty of competition there on the genesis platform. Marco "the weatherman" Sandoval has some awesome WRs but might be earlier versions than you are accustomed to.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=23462

Here are all of the tracks for the class of 1981 cabs:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.p...=2&gamename=Ms. Pac-Man / Galaga: Class of 1981
    john m brissie
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us