Film inside one, multiple submissions from different players.

1. Film inside once, multiple submissions from different players.

01-21-2017, 02:26 AM
    Need to get some community feedback for an event that is in the planning.

All going well, it will be happening end of March in a new venue here in Brisbane, Australia. We will primarily only be having 3 games at this stage, but with a view to being able to set scores in the future I'd like to get some input.

This is a commercial location - i.e. like FunSpot in the USA - and opening and closing machines for filming is a pain when in such a location, and when trying to get as many people as possible to submit scores. Filming inside is about a 5-10 min job - add in some mucking around time, and you're losing lots of time that someone could be playing.

Would the community agree that if the machines are documented (filmed) in advance to verify settings, original boards etc. than any scores set during this competition could use this as proof the game was played on these settings? Would be happy to film in advance to get confirmation it's filmed correctly and then re-film on the actual days (2-3 day event at this stage).

There is a possibility if needed, that we can set up a single camera that captures the whole playing area which shows footage being recorded from other cams of the inside of the machine (which will be uploaded) and that stays recording for the whole day, thus proving the machines weren't opened during the day.

We are hoping for at least one new TG record, and at least one or more DK killscreens - but at the end of the day, are hoping to get a whole lot of new people interested in TG and competitive gaming, and having to re-open and re-shoot video of the boards time and time again will just be a pain in the neck to be honest, and limit the time that people have to set scores on the TG scoreboard.

This is an event that several people of high standing within the TG community (MAME & Arcade record holders) will be attending, people who know what the integrity of the scoreboard means and wouldn't want to, nor condone corrupting it - think of it as the old days of FunSpot where a re**s word was good enough. With my limited knowledge, I can pretty much tell you the games being played will be easily verified by video of the game play that they are on the correct settings just by looking at the lives used and the game play without having to record and re-record the pcb's time and time again.

It's an exciting time here in Australia, the re-emergence of the Arcade in a new form that a lot of the USA guys already have, and we'd really like to get more people excited about gaming and if they can get their name easily on the scoreboard of the Guinness accredited scoreboard, then all the better.

Any input would be appreciated. We've got a couple of months of planning, and it would be good to know ahead of time what we need to do so that we can get as many submissions as possible.
    Last edited by John73; 01-21-2017 at 02:35 AM.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Barra, OOO, JJT_Defender liked this post
  2. 01-22-2017, 01:33 AM
    The silence is deafening

Maybe what I need to do is arrange with one of the organizers to just film inside once, and then we both set scores and submit and then see what happens during the adjudication process?

I guess of course we could just have one massive 8 hour session and film inside the machine at the end, upload this once and others who want their scores to be considered can link to that video and state when in the stream their game starts - sounds good? If no objections, then give me no sign We will of course get each new person to show their face on camera first, and maybe even mark their hands with a marker on camera so that you know they are the ones playing.... I take it from the rather relaxed rules regarding arcade they days that we don't need to power cycle the machine between games - again, tell me if this is wrong.
  3. 01-22-2017, 02:13 AM
    I would aim for one shot camera work. I would basically set everything up like you were trying to prove you didn't commit a felony.

Edit to add:it's what the submitter wants to provide. All the adjudicators are different as well.

Yes, I think if it was all filmed beforehand you'd be fine John. You would with me at least, but not with a camera cut. Like film the insides and then vid the play.
    Last edited by creech; 01-22-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    Thanks John73 thanked this post
  4. 01-22-2017, 02:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creech View Post
    I would aim for one shot camera work. I would basically set everything up like you were trying to prove you didn't commit a felony.

Edit to add:it's what the submitter wants to provide. All the adjudicators are different as well.

Yes, I think if it was all filmed beforehand you'd be fine John. You would with me at least, but not with a camera cut. Like film and then in a later vid the play.
    Cheers mate.

I think we might do a test run like I suggested, and see how the community reacts. Would hate to record 8 hours with say 20 different people only to get them rejected. Best to get a precedence.

I dare say we'll look at one very long video of everyone, post the video once and then allow different people to link to video and state when their submission starts. If we have to power cycle after each game it's no big problem really. And then at the very end film inside the machine. If we go this track, we'll probably have one camera on the machine and one camera on wide angle to show the whole of the machine and then somehow stitch the two video's into one if that makes sense. I'm not an AV person, but I'm told the person who will be arranging the camera set up is great at this sort of thing.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  5. 01-22-2017, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Cheers mate.

I think we might do a test run like I suggested, and see how the community reacts. Would hate to record 8 hours with say 20 different people only to get them rejected. Best to get a precedence.

I dare say we'll look at one very long video of everyone, post the video once and then allow different people to link to video and state when their submission starts. If we have to power cycle after each game it's no big problem really. And then at the very end film inside the machine. If we go this track, we'll probably have one camera on the machine and one camera on wide angle to show the whole of the machine and then somehow stitch the two video's into one if that makes sense. I'm not an AV person, but I'm told the person who will be arranging the camera set up is great at this sort of thing.
    There WILL have to be recording of the insides and everyones play of the screen of course, not just everyone standing at the cab.

If Barra will be there he'll know protocol.
  6. 01-22-2017, 02:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creech View Post
    There WILL have to be recording of the insides and everyones play of the screen of course, not just everyone standing at the cab.

If Barra will be there he'll know protocol.
    Barra will be there, as will I and several others who have submitted arcade tracks. I know what the process is, all I'm trying to get away from is having to film inside the machine after every single attempt on the one machine.
  7. 01-22-2017, 02:43 AM
    A dry run would be good John. I'd at least wait for others opinions, I'm just one person. Sounds like it'll be a epic event! :)

Edit to add, I know, that could be a pain in the butt all that I agree.

You'll get answers I assure you.
  8. 01-22-2017, 07:41 AM
    I'm not an arcade adjudicator or submitter but I'll offer a suggestion that may help facilitate the filming the inside of the arcade cabinet. Film the inside as you normally would to authenticate the correct board and dip switch settings. Once clearly filmed, place a breakable seal on door / entry to the machine with handwritten date and initials of a few individuals. Make sure the video includes the placing and signing of the seal on the machine. After the video performance is recorded, pan the camera to show the seal was not tampered.

Others may or may not agree with this...
    Games lubricate the body and mind”
    ~Ben Franklin
    Thanks John73, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  9. 01-22-2017, 07:44 AM
    It's a tough question for sure.
  10. 01-22-2017, 07:46 AM
    Man, that's what kills fun with arcade gaming though. Thats why mgl is so cool, we play and it's trust and it's met.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us