WolfMAME Playback Issue

1. WolfMAME Playback Issue

02-15-2017, 10:38 PM
    Just recorded my first 500K score on "Up'N Down" and now the dang thing won't play back properly :(

Hoping anyone has an idea...I'm using the exact same MAME settings as usual in terms of frameskip and anything else that I had in place for all my previous submissions.

Would be a real shame if the file was corrupt, but it is what it is.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

upndown_106_RTM_505700_36_TG.zipName:  upndown_106_RTM_505700_36.png
Views: 108
Size:  1.8 KB
  2. 02-15-2017, 11:50 PM
    Damn. That sucks big time Rob!

What does the WLF say, if anything?

Might help if you said what the problem is?

Either way, you'll get that score + more again. Sometimes little setbacks like this give more incentive.

good luck!

john

3. 02-15-2017, 11:51 PM
    First crash is at 22,580 for me. Tried a few methods of playing it back but got the same result each time :(
  4. 02-16-2017, 12:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    Damn. That sucks big time Rob!

What does the WLF say, if anything?

Might help if you said what the problem is?

Either way, you'll get that score + more again. Sometimes little setbacks like this give more incentive.

good luck!

john

RTM REPLY - Hi John. Not sure how to even read the WLF file as I've been relying on Barthax' and others' MAME INP analysis files plus watching performances.

For some reason the playback works fine for stage 1, then screws up at the same point in stage 2 doing bizarre things after the first crash. In the real performance the first death was stage 16 and the second not until approx 325-340K range. THe final death was in 36.

I likely CAN do this again as all four game deaths were avoidable due to bad decisions/judgments as opposed to getting caught by the game's many traps.

Going forward I can try playing the game in a window while simultaneously recording from inception this way in case of INP Playback issues I'll have the performance preserved.

Damn shame, but I think I can do this again. I played just once tonight after a tiring day at work and this was the result, so better still is coming. Also means that the long-standing arcade WR is definitely in the striking range. I died due to a very annoying setup in stage 36 with the long downward series of ramps because of a SLOW moving silver vehicle at the bottom...otherwise the rest of the stage was easy. With stage 37 coming up for an easy 10K bonus, I am sure that I can take down that arcade WR at some point.
  5. 02-16-2017, 02:02 AM
    It may not have been an issue in this case, but, my advice to anyone that plays any game at WR pace is to NOT play on an internet enabled computer. Back ground updates can ***** up a recording.

john

Thanks RTM thanked this post
  6. 02-16-2017, 02:05 AM
    Back ground updates can ***** up a recording.
    = Back ground updates can scr*w up a recording.

john

7. 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM
    Hi Robert,

I presume you're using the 0.106 WolfMAME with the windows front-end... not command-line one. If so, right-click Up 'N Down and click Properties. On one of the tabs (Display tab?) there's a frame skipping option: set it to no frame skips or a value of zero - same difference (haven't got it in front of me right now). That way every single frame will be drawn as you play and should prevent oddities that happened back in 0.106 due to frameskipping (just one of the possibilities, but a probably one).

Cheers,

Pete
    Lots of 1sts to be surpassed: what are you waiting for? Play the game, submit the score...
  8. 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM
    I'm inclined to agree. Nothing solid but since there are a couple of reported instances of frameskipping being a factor in playback, that'd be my guess too.

More so because there is a drop in the recorded speed just before the first life lost at 22k, and note that yellow car on screen at the time is the one causing the crash...

Name:  upnd0000.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  37.7 KB

... there's another drop to 49% at around frame 49150, and a less severe drop to 87% at around frame 68940. Then some other minor speed changes between 97%-103%.

If auto frameskipping was used, there's a good chance it would have kicked in at these points of low speed. Possibly even the seemingly harmless ones in the high 90s.

Your last submission (https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/166083) didn't have any speed fluctuations at all... 100% all the way through. Likewise with the 325k submission before, so it's unlikely any frames were skipped then.

Wlfview doesn't report anything odd...

Code:
    C:\MAME\wolf106>wlfview.exe inp\upndown_106_RTM_505700_36.wlf inp\upndown_106_RTM_505700_36.inp
    WLFVIEW 0.3 - Apr  5 2006

Info loaded.  WLF rev 9

Recorded for the game 'upndown'
    MAME version string: 0.106 (May 16 2006)

-- CPU info --
    Vendor: Intel
    Processor Family: 6  Processor Model: 10
    Approximate clock speed: 3392197136Hz

-- OS info --
    Operating System: Windows NT 6.1 Service Pack 1

-- INP info --
    Number of frames: 106457
    Average record speed: 99.987244%
    System time at start of emulation: Thu Feb 16 16:50:24 2017
    Sound: 44100Hz     Samples: Enabled
    GUI: 0    Artwork: 0
    68000 CPU Core: C
    NVRAM Usage: Disabled
    BIOS used (0=default): default

-- Validity --
    Check 1:  INP header:  OK
    Check 2:  INP file:  OK
    Check 3:  WLF file:  OK
    Not sure we're going to salvage this one... :(
  9. 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM
    Mr. Mackey concurs with your analysis:

Name:  mackey.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  28.5 KB

Jamey Pittman
    Perfect Pac-Man - 3,333,360 (Twin Galaxies, MARP)
    The Pac-Man Dossier
    Likes RTM liked this post
  10. 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
    Thanks everyone !! Just changed to no frame skipping and will try again starting tomorrow after work.

The good news is that I learned a lot from my recent performance. "Loop 3" (stages 33-36 which I played) was just slightly harder than "Loop 2" (stages 17-32)...car placements were a bit tighter, that's all. I foresee no problem reaching and even surpassing the 500K mark soon enough.

Much appreciated for the WLF analysis. No idea why the drop occurred...will have to ensure that as much as possible is turned off when I record on MAME going forward. Usually it's just "Depthcharge" which at less than 3 minutes a play is never a problem. Now that my UND performances are approaching a half hour it's a new consideration.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us