1. Vectrex - Berzerk - NTSC/PAL - Points - 10,680 - Roger 111

03-21-2017, 02:58 PM
    vzaar-player

vzaar-player

NTSC/PAL - Points
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3016
    Rules
    An ORIGINAL Vectrex controller MUST be used for all submissions.
    NOTE: There is a bug in the game that takes affect sometimes - If the scoring system glitches and becomes excessive during your game, your score will NOT be accepted.
    Submission Message
    Name:  Berzerk 10680.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  49.1 KB
    Run begins at 35:54(!)in the full video, controller/settings shown at the beginning.
    Every point matters, but smart gaming at 8:11 in the short vid is what got the record done. I was going for 10 thousand, this was a nice surprise.
    I've glitched this several times with good runs going, so I am playing very hesitantly, I know the strategy of holding the fire button down and moving the shots around, but it isn't safe, can kill the game.
    Please noone tell @pwnasaurus ,(oops), I didn't even submit on this in the Yolympics, one life challenge, because I'm so bad at Berzerk. I got 7460 before I died ;) .
    Thanks to All!
    Likes JJT_Defender, RaGeNyC, Dane Gill liked this post
  2. 03-21-2017, 04:48 PM

Accepted

Berzerk Game Starts at 35:53 of the Middle Part 1 Video

An ORIGINAL Vectrex controller MUST be used for all submissions Vectrex Controller & System Can Be Seen from :09 to :32 of the video

Vectrex - Berzerk - NTSC/PAL - Points - 10,680 Final Score is at 44:28 of the Middle Part 1 Video

jjt_defender

Honored Veteran

Credibility:21116

Submission points: 11,199

I JJT Dominate Presently the Modern Arcade Games 51 with First Place in Scoring & Times
    in 41 cities especially Fast & Furious Super Cars Undefeated against Players in a Best of 3,5,7 with 2,374 Victories in 6 years with only 36 Loses I live in Austin,Texas Live Public Housing Came,

I live in Austin,Texas I JJT Johnny Play at Main Event, on Monday Night Madness 3 Specials for 10:95 fom 4pm to 2am in the Morning , Dave n Busters Sunday $10.00 Unlimited Game Card from 10am to 12 Midnight some times Austin Park Amusement on Tuesday & Thursday $12.00
    I JJT Have No Problem Mastering Video Games. In Austin,Texas

I JJT Johnny Live in Austin,Texas Your Welcome to Call Main Event,Dave n Busters They Know Me. Come By Check My Scores & Times & Try to Beat them & Play Against Me.
    Thanks Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  3. 03-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Berzerk

Originally Berzerk was produced by Alan McNeil and manufactured by Stern Electronics. It started off as a black & white game, but as arcade machines around it became colour , Berzerk followed suit. Inspiration for the game came from Fred Saberhagens "Berzerke' series of Science Fiction novels. (Xtarelex 1984) Berzerk went on to be Stern's biggest arcade hit selling more than 50,000 arcade units.

Arcade Berzerk was one of the earlier games designed to incorporate speech synthesis. At the time it cost around $1000.U.S. per word for speech to be incorporated into a game so few words were used. The Vectrex version doesn't have speech, though Vec Voice may be used with 'Verzerk', and the standared Vec game states 'got you humanoid' when the player gets obliterated using Vec Voice. Interestingly enough in 1981 an 18 year old youth died of a heart attack while playing Berzerk and the coroner didn't rule out prolonged stress from videogames as a key factor to his death.

Berzerk was the first videogame in which a human controlled player actually died, as the aim of the game is to destroy all enemy robots or make them run into the electrified walls or else get killed. A maze surrounds the player who has the full 8 directions of the Vectrex control panel joystick to permanently neutralize the robots who have low intelligence and sometimes end up shooting their fellow robots instead of you.

However, the player needs to have his/her wits about them as a bouncing ball with a smiling face called 'Evil Otto' enters the playfield if the player dwells too long on a particular screen. This was designed to stop players hanging around on certain screens so as to keep the game moving along. There are 64,000 possible maze structures and in each 0-11 enemy robots are placed randomly in a room when you enter.

The Vectrex version of Berzerk is slow moving and becomes repetitive after a while. Maybe good for a quick spurt but lacks any depth though the sound effects are good and chunky and arcade like.

Score 5.5/10

Review written by Daniel Foot

4. 03-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Manufacturer
    General Consumer Electronics (1982-83)
    Milton Bradley Company (1983-84)
    Type
    Home video game console
    Generation
    Second generation
    Release date

• NA: November 1982
    • EU: May 1983
    • JP: June 1983

Discontinued
    Media
    ROM cartridge
    CPU
    Motorola MC68A09 @ 1.5 MHz
    Controller input
    Two

The Vectrex is a vector display-based home video game console that was developed by Western Technologies/Smith Engineering.[1] It was licensed and distributed first by General Consumer Electronics (GCE), and then by Milton Bradley Company after its purchase of GCE. It was released in November 1982 at a retail price of $199 ($480 adjusted for inflation[2]); as Milton Bradley took over international marketing the price dropped to $150, then reduced again to $100 shortly before the video game crash of 1983 and finally retailed at $49 after the crash.[3] The Vectrex exited the console market in early 1984.

Unlike other non-portable video game consoles, which connected to televisions and rendered raster graphics, the Vectrex has an integrated vector monitor which displays vector graphics. The Vectrex is monochrome and uses plastic screen overlays to simulate color and various static graphics and decorations. At the time, many of the most popular arcade games used vector displays, and through a licensing deal with Cinematronics, GCE was able to produce high-quality versions of arcade games such as Space Wars and Armor Attack.
    Vectrex comes with a built-in game, Mine Storm. Two peripherals were also available for the Vectrex, a light pen and a 3D imager.
    The Vectrex was also released in Japan under the name Bandai Vectrex Kousokusen. In the U.S., the model number of the Vectrex is HP-3000.

System features[edit]

The Vectrex was the first and only home-based system to ever use a vector-based screen. It was also the first home system to offer a 3D peripheral (the Vectrex 3D Imager), in 1984,[6] predating the Sega Master System's SegaScope 3D by several years.
    The Vectrex was a commercial failure, due in part to its release just prior to the North American video game crash of 1983.[4] However, it retains a small, devoted fan base.[4]

Technical specifications[edit]

European release Vectrex playing the built-in game Minestorm, without overlay.

Circuit board[edit]

Sound[edit]

5. 03-21-2017, 08:38 PM
    Voted 'yes'
  6. 03-22-2017, 02:47 AM
    You have conquered the Berzerk-ness!

Awesome.

Accepted!
    Likes nads, Rogerpoco liked this post
  7. 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM
    Accepted! Great Vectrex!
    Likes nads, Rogerpoco liked this post
  8. 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
    conquered the Berzerk-ness!
    It really adds an interesting dynamic to the game, helps make a lower Berzerk score still a legit accomplishment, hehe.

For those not in the know-sometimes as early as the very first screen on this version of the game, there can be too much action going on, and the score goes, well... berserk. I've had 800,000+ before.
    It IS something you can intentionally trigger, get a fullish screen, fire bullets rapidly across the screen, but it is also something the game is on the edge of doing on its own the entire time.
    So it really adds a dynamic to the game, you have to rely on a lot of single-shot strategy, and hope for luck on the crowded screens.

For some reason, I think there may be some bug to be found in every Vectrex game, if you look hard enough. There are just so many with known bugs, this, Trek, Spike, Narzod. All known games.
    Scramble has the biggest glitch of all, they made the maze impossible to get through.
    (I think that glitch is me, haha)
    Droplets of yes and no
    In an ocean of maybe
    Likes RaGeNyC liked this post
  9. 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM
    Good job. I just played a few rounds last night but maxed around 5500.
    -Professor Trex
  10. 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM
    Vectrex is actually the first time I gave Berzerk a serious shot, was terrible at it, and def not too good at first(less than 5k, believe me!).
    Don't wanna encourage you TOO much(kidding), but it's one you don't have to be natural at(Like me. At Pole Position. Gonna have some work to do to get that one, Buddy! :P), you really do get better-the rooms are random, but you get used to seeing the same rooms with the same robots, and learn how to deal with them.

I've honestly always hated Berzerk, but this is a really fun version.

You can get a debugged rom for a multicart, but you can also buy a debugged game cart and Box(I think box, mebbe manual)from(I think)Packrat video games. Star Trek has a bug as well, not sure if you knew, I'm not sure how it functions. They also make a debugged version of it.
    Droplets of yes and no
    In an ocean of maybe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us