SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - Highest Score - 5,777 - Chris Zeglen

Is this Performance Claim valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 07-07-2017, 11:10 AM
    There are two contexts to this discussion. One is the performance of the consoles themselves. The other is how TG handles this type of thing. I was only posting those forum threads to give context to the latter.
  2. 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM
    Im sorry if this started an argument. I cant help but feel the need to express my frustration in this situation. I streamed on my retron because i currently have no means of capturing straight from my snes. I use an avermedia capture card which only captures through hdmi and component. I really dont understand how this community can accept everdrives and flash carts but not retrons. The video shows the game play clear as day. you can compare everything.

I totally understand that rules are rules. But how are you going to accept a score that doesnt show system start up and doesnt use original software, but not accept a score without original hardware. After all, rules are rules. That being said, scores are scores, regardless of how many other records i have or other videos i have. If the current record holder gets a pass then why shouldnt I? Yeah sure he showed his system in other videos, but not this one. Now dont get me wrong i am not saying his score isn't legit. I know the game, i can see his score is legit just as mine is.

I just dont understand how the community can hold such strict guide lines in one case but such loose guide lines in another. All rules should be held at the same level for everyone, period. This whole situation in extremely discouraging not just for me but for anyone who doesn't have a high level of reputation.
    Likes xLithiax liked this post
  3. 07-07-2017, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    There are two contexts to this discussion. One is the performance of the consoles themselves. The other is how TG handles this type of thing. I was only posting those forum threads to give context to the latter.
    No worries, Ben. I'm choosing to have the unpopular opinion in this of my own doing. I want the gap to be bridged and maybe in doing so it'll make TG more user friendly. Yeah I don't like these consoles and the classic remakes or mame or any emulation because I'm a prudish original only collector but that doesn't mean I won't fight for the right of others using these means IF and ONLY IF there are no discrepancies to be found from using an original console. I'm choosing to think for myself in all regards and not allow what someone said and would better use deductive skills based on video evidence. Am I wrong in doing so?
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
  4. 07-07-2017, 11:28 AM
    As this style of gaming is becoming more popular, we better find a solution soon or TG will get left even further behind.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
  5. 07-07-2017, 12:00 PM
    Another perspective.

Let's say I have the Final Fight jamma board but not a Final Fight cabinet. I put the FF jamma into my Soul Edge cabinet and submit a score. Would I be reject? Doubtful. The HARDWARE is just controls and a video input at the very least. Add turbo controls and save states and all that other jazz and then we have an issue. But I'm sure all those others could be verified through gameplay right?

Food for thought.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
  6. 07-07-2017, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidious View Post
    Another perspective.

Let's say I have the Final Fight jamma board but not a Final Fight cabinet. I put the FF jamma into my Soul Edge cabinet and submit a score. Would I be reject? Doubtful. The HARDWARE is just controls and a video input at the very least. Add turbo controls and save states and all that other jazz and then we have an issue. But I'm sure all those others could be verified through gameplay right?

Food for thought.
    The difference between an arcade PCB / cabinet relationship and a console / cartridge relationship is like this:

Arcade PCB has not just the game ROM but also all the processing. The cabinet is essentially a set of controllers, a TV, and a power supply.

Console has the processor board. Cartridge has the game ROM.

The common thread amidst discussions of hardware is that the original processor and ROM relationship should be consistently represented. This is why I think flash carts are allowed (representing the game ROM) when used on original consoles (original processors). Also why any PCB can be plugged into any cab and it'll be acceptable (since the PCB represents both the ROM and the processor.)
  7. 07-07-2017, 12:07 PM
    Yet there's still no evidence to show the differences the processors bring, right? It's just a glorified way to bring sound and visuals as well as controls.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
  8. 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
    I agree that's the heart of the matter - how the various processors behave. However I disagree with the sentiment that this is some preposterous situation where TG is arbitrarily only accepting original processors.
  9. 07-07-2017, 12:21 PM
    I'd personally love to see Retron/AVS/Analogue score accepted on NES tracks, based on:

1) Accepting under a new platform would be diluting the scoreboard even further, e.g. a higher score on a Retron/AVS/Analogue vs one done on an original NES...who is the champ?

2) Barrier of entry/ease of use: NES is harder to capture from, harder to keep working, harder to hook up to modern displays, ect...

But the owner of the site has spoken and said "No" - according to Jace Hall,it MUST be classified as a different platform.

I must ask @Jace Hall - Is this up for debate at all?

If not, what's the point in arguing? It's his site, he can make the these types of calls. Just submit on an emu track or wait until the retron/anologue platform is created.
  10. 07-07-2017, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    I agree that's the heart of the matter - how the various processors behave. However I disagree with the sentiment that this is some preposterous situation where TG is arbitrarily only accepting original processors.
    My beef is the community members saying it's unacceptable when they only base their decision on hearsay and haven't done any research themselves to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that's it's different.

I asked any of my local friends if they have a Retron I can borrow for just Sunday and I'll run whatever experiments that I can. I know between me and Gabe, we have multiple copies of a few NES games. Would this better help the situation for anyone?
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
    Likes bensweeneyonbass, xLithiax liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Join us