SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - Highest Score - 5,777 - Chris Zeglen

Is this Performance Claim valid?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. SNES / SFC - Donkey Kong Country Competition Pak - Highest Score - 5,777 - Chris Zeglen

07-06-2017, 07:30 PM
    vzaar-player

Highest Score
    Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=197956
    Rules
    Unlimited Lifes, 5 Minute Timer Special Rules: None
    Submission Message
    I played Donkey Kong Country Competition pak on a Retron 5. The cart i used is a reproduction cart which i purchased from retro game hq on etsy. I was streaming on twitch.tv/8bitplus when i got the record. I achieved a score of 5777.
    Likes xLithiax, HebrewHammer liked this post
  2. 07-06-2017, 09:53 PM
    Great score. Unfortunately, an actual SNES must be used. If you resubmit in the future, you should show the console and cart, then power up.
    Thanks SpitDragon thanked this post
    Likes nads, Nolco, SpitDragon liked this post
  3. 07-07-2017, 09:03 AM
    I'm not trying to argue or anything, this is just all new to me. But the world record holder uses an everdrive/flash cart for his, how is that any different than using a retron? He also doesnt show his console. Sorry im just not sure what is acceptable and what isn't
  4. 07-07-2017, 09:11 AM
    The flash carts have long been accepted largely because it's the software component of the system. Using an original control deck/console has always been required. Retron submissions have been rejected in the past because it's a clone/emulator.

As for the WR holder having not shown his control deck in his submission - this is a mistake and makes for a weak evidence video.
  5. 07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
    Also - please be advised that this is still a peer review adjudication process. If community members come here and think this run on this hardware is acceptable, they'll vote YES and that's that.

It is relevant that Retron performances have been rejected in the past. It is also relevant that the current WR holder has shown his original SNES control deck and Everdrive flash cart on camera numerous times. Although reputation shouldn't hold water like solid evidence videos, this is probably why his direct capture run was not challenged for proof of original console usage.
  6. 07-07-2017, 10:29 AM
    I'm still wondering exactly WHY Retron consoles are not acceptable. No one has given any definitive proof that putting a cartridge that is legit makes it NOT legit by putting it into a Retron. I want someone to show that the gameplay is different, I don't want someone to just say "It's emulation so it's not accepted".

Sorry folks, I just hate that it's like this. People come to TG to submit what they think is a GREAT run only for members here just to nonchalantly say they won't accept it without any real proof that the run is invalid in comparison to having an original system.

Please someone put this to rest and show any gameplay difference using the same game on both consoles. Speed runs I can understand is the loading times are different but that can also be proved the same way as I'm suggesting.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
  7. 07-07-2017, 10:46 AM
    Still looking for actual proof, Ben.

I can't help but feel I need to fight for some transparency for users that are new to submitting or have been cautious about submitting here beforehand. If there's definitive proof there are differences in gameplay using the original and the Retron then I shall back down. All I see is a bunch of people talking about it and I see no gameplay proof of the differences. This is what we need to be able to put this discussion to rest.

I'm tired of the talking. You folks that own retrons and original consoles definitely need to take part in trying to end this discussion. Tired of being in limbo.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
    Likes xLithiax liked this post
  8. 07-07-2017, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidious View Post
    Still looking for actual proof, Ben.

I can't help but feel I need to fight for some transparency for users that are new to submitting or have been cautious about submitting here beforehand. If there's definitive proof there are differences in gameplay using the original and the Retron then I shall back down. All I see is a bunch of people talking about it and I see no gameplay proof of the differences. This is what we need to be able to put this discussion to rest.

I'm tired of the talking. You folks that own retrons and original consoles definitely need to take part in trying to end this discussion. Tired of being in limbo.
    Jace posted:

"Submissions for the NES platform must use the original NES platform. That is what that platform category is for. The NES is a specific piece of hardware, and unlike a PC, never intended to be altered by consumer.

Not sure why there is any confusion about this.

There currently is no Analogue NT Mini platform category for members to submit on. The NES platform is not the Analogue NT Mini platform. They are objectively different. One might even argue that the extreme clarity of signal and resolution of the NT could be considered advantage."

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...ES-submissions

You made comments on that thread Desidious.

If you want Retcon tracked it would be tracked as it's own platform. This score should be rejected.
  9. 07-07-2017, 11:04 AM
    Lol not two seconds after I posted that I knew you would be here hanging on someone else's words. Did he show actual proof so we as a community to decide or did he just say it and you immediately fall in line? Jace also prefers to leave it up to the community and well.. here I am.

I also don't like Retron consoles but my biased won't cloud my judgement.
    "Unable to scream
    Lips like keroscene"
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Join us