I would REALLY like someone to address the 2600 defaults,

1. Thumbs up I would REALLY like someone to address the 2600 defaults,

07-13-2017, 01:03 AM
    The atari 2600 has only two modes, Expert & Novice (A-Expert, B-Novice).
    There seems to be some big problem with people assuming Novice or B is default because the Stella Emulator defaults to it. Are we seriously trying to set high scores for the kindergarten child level of difficulty?

i'm sincerely upset that anyone would gloat or even dare submit a world record on baby-mode. I hope you're all proud of yourselves if you submitted a score on "B"/"Novice"/"The mode intended for your kid brother/sister" at the time.

I'm even more concerned that games like "Snail Against Squirrel" and other PAL exclusive releases only have bootleg NTSC scores.

i'd like to submit some world records, but why are we defaulting to little-kid's mode if we're supposed to be good at games. There is no "default", only Expert (A) or Novice (B). I contest ALL "B" scores as easy mode is no place for twin galaxies just because people claim ignorance because they use emulation defaults.

i hope that the judges take this seriously. For the 2600 gamers that wish to contest, please do take your diapers off before you contend your Novice scores. That's what they are, Novice level. At least own it that it's the level you played on for WORLD RECORDS before you open your mouth.

sorry for being so aggressive verbally about this iss, but all the "B" Novice scores are literally pathetic in the form of trying to prove you're the best.
  2. 07-13-2017, 01:09 AM
    Name:  failfish.png
Views: 157
Size:  2.6 KB
    Not a great way to come across, being new here and all
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes sdwyer138 liked this post
  3. 07-13-2017, 01:22 AM
    Do I need a high post count to point out an extremely upsetting and obvious fallacy?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  4. 07-13-2017, 01:27 AM
    Expert or Novice, which should be on twin galaxies when there is no cart-based default? Theres super-easy mode, or advanced? Seriously, world records here??? WORLD RECORDS on novice mode? That's so contradictive it's almost funny.
    I can show you console boxes with A (expert) as default?

Are we really determining high scores based on bad EMU defaults these days, or is it just mob mentality?

my apologies for sounding so aggressive, I'm just both upset and confused why "easy mode" could possibly be a world record while the normal advanced mode is left out instead (which is still pretty darn easy for anyone)

is everyone seriously supposed to fall Asleep on B mode and dare call themselves a world record holder? It's pathetic, and if you're SO much better than me please play your Atari on "A or Default" before announcing superiority.

A - Expert
    B - Novice

Decide which is truly twin galaxies material when both are frankly easy.

There's no gloating but only shame to anounce you've got "Teh bestest score in teh worldz!!?!11.... (on Novice/easy mode)."

Think about it, hate me later.
    Last edited by SonSon III; 07-13-2017 at 01:50 AM.
  5. 07-13-2017, 01:55 AM
    subscribing.

I'm not convinced of the OP's argument, but am prepared to see where it/he goes?

For example.....If there is a separate "baby" track, then OK, as long as everyone is playing by the "baby" rules ?

IF there is a separate "expert" track then OK too, as long as everyone is playing by the expert rules.

Someone CAN or Can't be an expert/have a highest score on either track, can't they?

john

6. 07-13-2017, 02:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    subscribing.

I'm not convinced of the OP's argument, but am prepared to see where it/he goes?

For example.....If there is a separate "baby" track, then OK, as long as everyone is playing by the "baby" rules ?

IF there is a separate "expert" track then OK too, as long as everyone is playing by the expert rules.

Someone CAN or Can't be an expert/have a highest score on either track, can't they?

john

Not really sure what's going on here, the only thing I agree on is the PAL exclusive tracks listed as NTSC.

Apart from that, play on whatever difficulty you want, whether is B or A.

If there is no A ( expert track ) happy to sponsor as many as this guy can churn out.

Ive got a few Expert scores on the board, but there are a heap of 2600 games that don't use the difficulty switch either
    Likes SonSon III liked this post
  7. 07-13-2017, 04:12 AM
    I'm glad that some people understand. No, not all games have A/B tracks, but defaulting to B'aby' mode is bad imo instead of "A" just in case.

as for PAL exclusive tracks , this issue runs rampant here. A bunch of bunk high scores that are made on bunk roms. Can we PLEASE keep PAL only releases to PAL modes?

Also if there's uncertainty about an A/B track, can't we keep it to the REAL "A" track setting-only universally? If they're the same A or B... no harm, no foul, right?

if there is any possible harm done, it's leaving it on B. As Twin Galaxies doesn't even understand PAL exclusives, I'm not guilty for judging them on skipping over 2600 titles that they don't care to understand a lick about.

NO, not everything is NTSC nor B Default. You're drowning in bootleg roms and nobody specializing in the area.

my apologies for the upset, I do respect Twin Galaxies as an entity.
    Last edited by SonSon III; 07-13-2017 at 04:19 AM.
  8. 07-13-2017, 06:16 AM
    Your attitude is atrocious. A world record is a world record. Are you saying someone who put 8 or more hours into a marathon is not worthy of recognition because they are not on your personal approved difficulty settings?

You don’t like the rules on a track. That’s a personal issue. You’re going to have areally hard time getting anything done. People have posted scores to those tracks under the current rules, no matter how obtuse those rules are. You’re not going to get anywhere trying to clean up scores that have been posted “correctly”.

You want to make a new track that says:
    “Use Stella version 4.7.3 and the rom Donkey Kong (USA).a26 that has a MD5 Hash of36b20c427975760cb9cf4a47e41369e4. And of course play on Difficulty A, because B is Babies.”
    Go for it.

I’m not saying there are not legitimate problems that need to be looked at regarding tracks. Take a look at the 3DO platform some time. 60% of the tracks are complete and total insane garbage.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?platformid=1&gamename=DonkeyKong
    There are 7 nonsense test tracks that have been there for as long as I can remember.

Emulation is the future for continued support of retro systems but it’s treated like it isthe Wild West of Twin Galaxies. Besides some rules for MAME, everything else is technically up to what you can convince another person is correct. "Someone in 1980 did this so that is the way it is now even though there are zero actual rules" type of thing. You want to work on set rules for emulators then I wholeheartedly will support your efforts.

As it stands though, your post is 100% gripe and 0% solution.
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  9. 07-13-2017, 07:01 AM
    Hello SonSon III. Welcome to Twin Galaxies. It's nice to meet you.

My recommendation, and take it for what it's worth, is to address specific tracks that you have concerns with. It is easier to deal with specific issues rather than global gripes. I know this may seem more time consuming, but it tends to be more effective.

Another recommendation: play the tracks that you are interested in, and lead with your best foot forward. Make your own submission packages as expansive as possible. If you want your Atari set on "A", by all means do that and make it known in your submission package. (Just make sure that follows the rules of the track for which you are submitting.). If a track you are interested in states "B" for difficulty setting and there is not a separate track for "A", by all means propose a new track and make the rule set match your wishes.

Different people are here for different reasons. Different people play different tracks for different reasons. Focus on the tracks that you are interested in, focus on the systems that you are interested in, and focus on making your submission packages the best that they can be. Typically that will lead to the most personal enjoyment here at Twin Galaxies.

Hope this helps.
  10. 07-13-2017, 07:14 AM
    I've subbed a couple times on PAL/NTSC conversions, I still think they were performed with the same game as the scores from a decade ago, but I'll avoid subbing on them in the future unless/until that is resolved, I understand/respect the feelings some have about PAL exclusivity, for sure.

I agree that in many cases there should be tracks for difficulty A, and as mentioned, in some cases there are, and as NADS offered, I would probably help support some if you wanted to start them.

I think the reason for B being the standard is that a person is getting the high score on the variation that most people are expected to play.

It's a discredit to the 2600, and the gamers that are proud of their scores on it to call it "easy", on any difficulty. I 100% disagree with you there, unquestionably an incorrect statement, but before you get upset...

What that means is that you are probably even better than you think you are!

We just got what we got around here, Man, and TG is doing everything they can to allow us, as users, the flexibility to address almost any issue-you are coming in right in the middle of big changes, and they are for the better.

Just get on board and post some scores. I promise, especially playing Atari, you will see the good side of TG very quickly, and likely make a few good friends, if you choose to do so.
    So they say
    Dance for me, dance for me, dance for me, oh, oh, oh
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us