Improving Console Submission Packages

1. Improving Console Submission Packages

07-19-2017, 05:06 AM
    I'm always trying to improve the quality of my submission packages. As the new Challenge System comes to life, I think we will all do well to do everything we can to make our submission packages as water tight as possible.

This post is not about "rules" and what should and shouldn't be allowed. I am more interested in finding out what content is important to you when adjudicating a Console Submission.

Here are some things that are important to me. (Lack of one or more of these elements won't necessarily cause me to abstain from voting, but they are important to me.)

Before Gameplay Begins:

- Submitter should identify himself or herself with name and date.
    - All hardware should be shown: Console, controller to be used, game cartridge if applicable, difficulty switch settings if applicable, wiring to television, and television.
    - Bootup of console from a Power Off state.
    - Cheat codes disabled if using Everdrive or similar device
    - Selection of difficulty if applicable

During Gameplay:

- Clear screen capture on which score can be seen at all times
    - Player, controller, and console should remain in screen. This completely eliminates any possibly that a Challenge can claim that a different player or controller has been introduced. This can also help clarify any issues that might arise from an accidental "pause" accusation.

After Gameplay:

- Clear screen capture showing final score.
    - Second review of hardware: console, cartridge (if applicable), and controller.
    - ReBoot of console.

Screen shots attached to submission:

- Selection of difficulty level if not clearly apparent from gameplay or game screen. (ColecoVision and Intellivision controllers come to mind here, also 2600 difficulty switches)
    - Screen showing final score.
    - Any other screen capture stills that submitter feels add to the submission package.

I know that some of these items appear to be redundant. Again, this is just what I like to see in a console submission.

Are there any other items that you feel add to or detract from the quality of a console submission? What would you like to see more of? What would you like to see less of?

The purpose of this post is not to start arguments about rules, rather to help me (and anyone else that is interested) improve the quality of console submission packages.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DadsGlasses; 07-19-2017 at 05:43 AM.
  2. 07-19-2017, 05:36 AM
    Yes to this - console submission packages vary widely in content

One point of historic context - on the Canceled Submissions thread there was a discussion about an NES MTPO submission that was rejected because it was shown to be cheated. One key thing about the video was that the player had a remote control in his hand that he pressed a button on when he simultaneously pressed the NES console power button.

Had he not not had a camera angle that captured this, the evidence against the validity of the submission would have been a little weaker (there was a lot of evidence that it was a cheated run but this was a key talking point for those who weren't experts on MTPO).

So, for the first part of the video, I say show the player's hands as they display the hardware and power on the console. Both hands. It is a key factor to show that the console is what's sending the signal to the TV. Showing the wires going from console to TV is even better.

I do not personally show my hands in the video while playing. I usually zoom in on the screen to show the game play as best as possible. This to me is more important than showing the hands throughout the run. That's an opinion. The technical evidence (console and cart running to TV and full gameplay shown well and clearly) is a more critical factor than the identity of the gamer. Opinion. It does make for a stronger video, though, so I'd recommend two shots.

One of gameplay and one of player. THIS is the most thorough while not sacrificing a good look at the gameplay.
  3. 07-19-2017, 05:42 AM
    Ben:

GREAT point about showing the wiring to the TV. I forgot about this. I will add it to the first post. (If I can). Personally, I used to be better about that and I've slacked off lately. Great point.
    Thanks bensweeneyonbass thanked this post
  4. 07-19-2017, 06:00 AM
    Direct capture video is used a lot. I'm not against it. I know this discussion is about what makes the BEST evidence videos for console submissions. With that in mind, I think every direct capture submission should be accompanied by a live cam, showing what was discussed above - console, cart/disc, wiring, and TV. There's not always a game disc or cart but you get my drift.

Direct capture is a fantastic way to get high quality game play footage. I support it. But for best evidence package, a corresponding live shot should be included.
  5. 07-21-2017, 07:12 AM
    Doing a lot of MTPO runs, I've started showing my console and cart after the run. This is because of constant restarts on Hippo. I always show my controller before gameplay starts. I've thought about showing the wires going from my NES into the TV, I think I'll start doing that and showing the controller during power up. I've not seen the video of MTPO where cheating is apparent, nor aware of a way to cheat the game. All my submissions have been verified fairly quickly, so I think I'm doing a pretty good job showing the validity of my scores. If anyone who has watched my videos have any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes DadsGlasses liked this post
  6. 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM
    I am planning to make a change to my current setup.

Last night I ran into some technical issues with my GoPro lasting more than 1:36:00. I have now ordered a direct Video Capture device.

My plan is the following:

Same capture I use now for general gameplay. Laptop camera focused on my while I play. This will keep my console and controllers in view at all time.

I am am going to use the GoPro like I do now to show up close of my hardware and wiring introduction.

Then I will shut off the GoPro and start up the direct Video capture card. I'm not sure if I will direct capture game audio or not. Possibly just Video.

Im excited to try this out. Hopefully by mid next week.
  7. 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_E_Coyote View Post
    I've not seen the video of MTPO where cheating is apparent, nor aware of a way to cheat the game.
    For reference - here is the cheated run. The way it was cheated was that it was an edited video that was played back and meant to look like a live performance. It's the worst:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...Michael-Girard

EDIT: The cheater's YouTube video has long since been removed. Over two years ago. This thread is still a good reference for how the adjudication went, though.
    Thanks Ron_E_Coyote thanked this post
  8. 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM
    Thanks Ben! Wow, what a crazy read.

Another reason why I want to make my own submission packages even better.

Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    For reference - here is the cheated run. The way it was cheated was that it was an edited video that was played back and meant to look like a live performance. It's the worst:

EDIT: The cheater's YouTube video has long since been removed. Over two years ago. This thread is still a good reference for how the adjudication went, though.
  9. 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post

Wow. I read most of the thread. It's a shame the video is gone, but his reaction to being called out spoke volumes. If I were accused of cheating, like any other legitimate gamer, I would immediately defend my score. He did none of that, instead he chose to respond with things that make no sense. Saying no one cares about records is laughable, seeing he went through such links to cheat. From what I can tell, sounds like he spliced three different videos together to give the impression he beat Tyson in 2:08. If the first two phases in those three videos are identical, then that tells me all I need to know. As much as I've played this game, Tyson is so random it would never happen. I've never understood why someone would want to cheat to get their name at the top to begin with. If I want to be considered one of the best in the world at something, but I achieved it by those means, it would be hollow.
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes Troy liked this post
  10. 07-23-2017, 05:16 AM
    Last night I played a 4 hour run of a game. The first 30 minutes of footage from my "general capture" camera was lost. Very frustrating. This is one of the main reasons that I like to have two cameras running.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Join us