Answers regarding Kaboom, Donkey Kong & Robert Mruczek

1. 08-24-2017, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goochman View Post
    Robert,

Im not going to quote you to keep the thread clean :) Your recollections are pretty spot on. The Snipercade database and published record became the basis of the 2001 DB. I had a spreadsheet for Coleco/Intellisivison scores that I had to batch load via that access file and that was a PIA. I dropped out shortly after 2010 or maybe before, but I stopped being a ref right after Rons incident - I pretty much lost interest in TG.

Ill dig around my HD - I prob have a few of the Deca event submissions - I was an alternate ref for atleast one of them on a few games. Im happy to email whatever I have to a current TG member if they have an interest, if not no worries - it will sit on my HD until it dies :)
    Awesome, thanks for even attempting to do this. As for the scores being deleted and your other scores. Jace has pretty much said, to me at least, that if any evidence of older scores surfaces, that you should use the dispute system to add the evidence. Again, I understand that sounds weird starting a dispute to add evidence but this is what I've been told. So if you did give or anybody else your old TG files, this is the method for entering them. It might even be possible to have some of your removed scored reentered goochman. Not sure. However, if your PM works, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly do some the leg work for you.
  2. 08-24-2017, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for even attempting to do this. As for the scores being deleted and your other scores. Jace has pretty much said, to me at least, that if any evidence of older scores surfaces, that you should use the dispute system to add the evidence. Again, I understand that sounds weird starting a dispute to add evidence but this is what I've been told. So if you did give or anybody else your old TG files, this is the method for entering them. It might even be possible to have some of your removed scored reentered goochman. Not sure. However, if your PM works, feel free to contact me and I'll gladly do some the leg work for you.
    My PM does not work - I tried to PM you and got an error about my account not being activated or something like that.
  3. 08-24-2017, 04:36 AM
    Robert - I have a few old emails with the original TG database load. The file is password protected and Douglas never posted the password in an email (good for him, bad for us :) ) - the email said to ask Ron or Walter for the password. Do you remember what the password is? This would be an original 2002 cut so alot of stuff missing but would show a snapshot of the beginnings.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  4. 08-24-2017, 09:13 AM
    As good as my memory is, Stephen, I cannot remember that password from now 15+ years ago...sorry about that.
  5. 08-24-2017, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1185 View Post
    All you refs should start a thread for yourselfs to update/remember every possible detail about where some of the evidence might reside. That would be awesome if some of it was uncovered. By any chance (I have no idea what you guys are referring to with the Ron guy)has anybody contacted whatever police department it was that arrested him? They may have things still sitting in a storage facility or evidence room.

RTM REPLY - I've already posted the chain-of-custody with respect to any TG documentation that I had numerous times on the forum...all digital files were sent to Brien King and Kelly Flewin 12/19/16-12/20/16. All hard-copy files as far as score were given to Brien Kuh Nov/07 to drive up to Maine and hand off to then-TG staffer Shawn Cram to hold on behalf of TG. After that I have no clue, and this path was taken because a certain someone in charge of TG had never bothered to arrange to have them picked up from me after almost a year of asking, so under NYS abandoned property law they were effectively abandoned property at that point. I could have trashed them but I opted not to cause waves and I handed them off to be delivered by Brian to Shawn.

As for hard-copy documentation (non-tapes), those were sent to Walter, that being any "referee Bible" that I had, basically a grey binder with all the original TG settings. Otherwise that was it from me.

We were never given a count of what was TAKEN from Ron's home in terms of a "count/inventory" of anything whether it was tapes or anything else. It was Brien King who informed me that approx 125 tapes were returned of which one (1) was my own and 25 were from Todd. The rest were various gamers...whether any included Ron's own performances I would not know, nor do I know the makeup of the other approx 100 tapes returned by the police.
  6. 08-24-2017, 09:22 AM
    On a minor note, former TG staffer Mark Longridge should still have two (2) TG arcade WR performances on tape unless he at some point turned them over to Walter.

I had sent to him at his request back while he was still a TG staffer the WR's on "Carnival" by Fred Pastore and the TGTS "Tempest" record by Laszlo Takacs.

Matthew Leto was at one point a TG staffer and I have no clue what tapes he might have in his possession or whether they were ever turned over.

I also have no idea what tapes any other referees might have had or turned over as a formal "inventory" system was never maintained.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  7. 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM
    Any tapes in a storage facility of Ron's is another matter. If there were any not discovered by the police I have to imagine that one of two (2) scenarios exists...

1st - he pre-paid the facility for at least 10 years in advance...even so it would likely have expired by now...but I am sure that a forensics detective could have traced the ownership unless he rented under an assumed name

2nd - even if he did not pre-pay, and even if he did register under an assumed name, the units would have since been sold off or junked by the owner of the facility

Bottom line is there is no way to truly know what happened to them. Speaking solely with respect to both Todd and myself, we would have accounted for anywhere from 200-300 tapes by ourselves yet only 26 were recovered...and the one (1) related to myself is likely my never-verified Odyssey 2 scores on games 2-end of "Pick Axe Pete" and my two (2) scores on an O2 game called I think "Spinout", one under each difficulty.
  8. 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  9. 08-25-2017, 03:31 PM
    @RTM a few questions:

Do you feel all of Ron Corcoran's posted scores are legitimate?

Was Ron entering his own scores?

Do you feel Ron's scores should be scrubbed from TG?
    Thanks thegamer1185 thanked this post
    Likes thegamer1185 liked this post
  10. 08-25-2017, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DadsGlasses View Post
    @RTM a few questions:

Do you feel all of Ron Corcoran's posted scores are legitimate?

Was Ron entering his own scores?

Do you feel Ron's scores should be scrubbed from TG?
    EDIT: I am removing negative references to Mr David Yancey on this day of August 26th, 2017, due to my inaccurate recollection of his negative opinion towards myself and Twin Galaxies based on David clearing the air on the TG forum on this day

RTM REPLY - I'll answer all questions in sequence, and I am fully qualifying all my responses as well...

1st - personally, I feel that an minimum some, and at maximum most, of his scores are legit. There are some that I have personally questioned over the years within the TG forum...a few in fact within two recent threads...that I feel are anything but legit. Can't remember which thread, but I cited among others "Adventures of Tron" (a 100+ hour claim), his "Ms Pacman" Atari 2600 performance, "Turmoil" for the 2600, "Wizard of Wor" for the 2600 (the score can be done, here, it's just a question of whether he did it) and finally a claimed and removed 500,040 or so on "Gorf" for the ColecoVision which was reduced to his Atari/Coleco Deca result score of less than 100 points under 500K. I've stated my reasons for each of these multiple times on the forum and have good reason to be wary of all of these.

2nd - yes, but he was not alone in this. When the capacity for referees to enter scores was released TG had maybe 7-8 referees and other TG staffers in total and only 5 of which actually entered scores. We were severely backlogged, so it was not uncommon for self-entry to occur. I personally prepped the 2600 upload file for import into the system and of course I was a competitor, but these were my Snipercade scores. However, for the summer console competition results of 2001 and 2002, of which I was a competitor, these scores were also entered by myself. My tapes in these cases (N64 and Sega DC) were never sent to anyone to watch as not one single referee, not even years later, wanted to spend the time to watch my 100+ non-2600 tapes. Quite annoying, actually. Also, any MAME monthly challenge results and ACAM annual competition and November trip results, I entered those as well. Plus the import of Mark Longridge's Cubeman MAME database.

The difference here is that the vast majority of my scores from these events were not even 1st place. Most were 2nd thru 4th place, with some even further down than that. The only scores of mine that I did NOT enter are those post-fix, now that I think about it. Fortunately I saved all of my older MAME INP's but any VHS-taped performances are long-since gone...Atari/Odyssey 2 to Ron, and the rest (save for XBOX) all turned over to Brian Kuh in Nov/07 to turn over to Shawn Cram for TG safe keeping. My XBOX tapes were mostly given to Matthew Leto to review as he was the XBOX referee at that point, save for my very last tape which was sent to the Metroid Team as referees to review and add...mostly some XBOX scores on "Big Mutha Truckers" and a few special vehicle time challenges from Sega DC's "Wacky Races" which were my final records submitted for that platform, and which I believe are still unbeaten to this day.

My own scores I trust...my database entry accuracy is almost a perfect 100% save for that Atari "split" which I never wanted to do and was directed by Walter to...those times are good, but two gamers differed in opinion on the methodology of the split allocation into which variation some belonged to.

Ron's scores, however, sometimes happened out of the blue, not even with notice to a co-referee. For example, the results of the Atari/Coleco Deca event...Ron and I were neck-and-neck on "Gorf" as we were the only two players with carts capable of playing indefinitely, so we had a gentlemen's agreement to stop at 500K. My final was something like 500,020 and his 499,960 or 466,980. POST competition, not even 3 days later, all of a sudden he puts up 500,040 to as high as 500,080 as his score. No indication given to anyone that he did this...friggin' ego decision, that was. This was the very first of a few scores that he self-entered which I have question with.

3rd - I've already answered this within one of the two recent/related forum thread, one of which is this very thread.

My position is this...dump 'em...dump 'em all. The PROBLEM is that there might be as a direct result of such a decision the re-appearance of Scott Stilphen accusing me of doing so to give my own score(s) on one of more titles a higher ranking on the TG leaderboard, something he accused me of doing years back when Todd's 15M "Donkey Kong" 2600 score was removed from the database as per a professional agreement between both Todd and myself acting in our mutual capacities as senior referees. Honestly, and I'll be blunt, I do not need to hear any more BS from this major you-know-what.

Now, is it remotely possible to assess which of his scores are legit versus not legit ? To be honest, only in a limited capacity. I would trust any scores verified by either Brien King or Stephen Knox. Or any results from the Snipercade MAME Deca events as those were cross-verified by participating MAME/MARP contenders. As for the rest, it's not possible to be 100% sure.

Now...podium time...I was EXTREMELY annoyed when I found out proof-positive that there were instances where a referee had abused the privilege. One was pointed out to me by Tom Votava, perhaps the greatest 2nd generation home console player of all time. He was one of the top contenders on "Donkey Kong" for the CV system with more than 3M points, at the time a WR though since legitimately beaten, yet someone prior to that point had entered after Tom a much higher 5M score which was impossible. And they entered it without co-verification. And there were some others that I caught when I checked into this further as the then-TG database allowed me to easily see which referee entered which score...Douglas MacGregor was able to provide an ACCESS.MDB database file which could be imported into EXCEL for analysis so...double sort by submitter/referee and see what others there were, and by then I was ticked off.

In short order Brien KIng developed that block. Great !! Problem was my OWN scores could never be entered and to this day there are dozens not in the database, some from Monthly MAME challenges, others from Deca style events, May/June ACAM events, November ACAM trips, etc. I'd run a Monthly MAME Challenge and was able to, by then, entered all score results save for one...my own. Then, hope a co-referee entered it. The follow up in short order became more of an annoying chore rather than a very short "to do" list, and at some point I just threw my hands up with it...and to this day I am very annoyed that some of my fellow referees did not extend me the same courtesy that I gave to everyone else when it came to score entry. But, it is what it is, and at this point these missing scores are not a priority of mine.

All because of self-entry shenanigans by at the time two referees, one of which was Ron. So, in that light, I could easily say dump all of his scores, were it not for the firestorm of BS that would follow from Scott Stilphen.
    Last edited by RTM; 08-26-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Editing to remove inaccurate recollection of David Yancey's involvement
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes DadsGlasses, Snowflake liked this post
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Join us