Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Robotron: 2084 - Marathon - Player: Brian King - Score: 348691680

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 08-02-2017, 04:55 AM
    Figured I'd pop in to add some logical context since I was part of the TGIS arcade scoreboard from 82-84.

It is nice to see that people now understand that the old TG scoreboard was:
    --honor system
    --grassroots hodgepodge of listings
    --allowed multi-credit scores
    --allowed a variety of difficulty settings and life settings (which was mostly lack of QA on our part)
    --was administrated by kids and walter who were not good typers, plus the score list was retyped multiple times including a switch from Tandy to Apple around the post-arcade time when Steve Harris got involved (the EGM magazine founder)
    --if you want to see a mag article that talks about the tandy model III era, look on the main page of the robotron2084guidebook site for the images.
    -- and robotron itself had some design quirks that made playing a long time difficult with life rollover, enforcer explosion reset, and robo's goldilocks which was unknown to anyone until the modern day 100m gauntlet run by Ken House and diagnosed by Larry DeMar.
    --if you search back thru TG threads, I talked about much of the above in detail including the typo. You guys just didn't see it or it is hard to browse, but it is there. I also have written about marathoning robo on the guidebook including references directly from Eric Ginner who also played a multi-credit marathon back then.

The context of one man's quest for fame:
    Walter was looking for media worthy scores and people to help elevate the Twin Galaxies name and ultimately his name in the relevance of arcade coin-op world. He used willing children who were enamored by the arcade scene to provide those stories, which is a blueprint he learned from Time Magazine and Steve J. Defender story-line. Whether the score held any salt was lower on the list of priorities than the attractiveness of a score story for media.
    TGIS isn't a bible, its a reflection of a time from Walter as a creative writer of his imagination on reality.
    By some weird twist of fate, he kept it alive all this time where the 10's of thousands of old arcades and score lists didn't survive in media print.
    Keep that in mind as the reader adds their own imagination to Walter's imagination of the time.

The Kindness Factor:
    Glad to see Brian resurfaced and his enthusiasm makes it clear he was a willing participant in the teenage excitement of a brilliant moment in pop-culture history. He was a kid then, he is an adult now. Completely different topics and glad that folks can embrace him now since we are all just arcade enthusiasts.

The Historical Side-Note:
    Many of the people he mentioned are on a TG poster that Walter had made with little sidebar stories and factoids. Who knows if any of the scores are real but it is a fun bit of memorabilia. There is either a crazy DK or Pac score on the poster, so it's a fun bit of collector SWAG regardless.

The vote:
    That marathon track had the rules switched on it mid 80s where newer scores had stricter rules like no multi-credit and diff5. the scores stay mixed with the prior multi-credit open-setting scores.

As far as this score being pedantically and precisely accurate....there is no way to add up multicredit scores accurately and precisely because you do not know exactly what the score was at time of power cycle or reset. It's a guess.
    The end of 80 was just a typo by someone likely me or Steve Harris at the time back then when it was being retyped into new index card/database program on the home computers.

Technically, the score is invalid....But does it really matter since then you have to go thru the next 10 or so scores on the list including Eric Ginner's which would be invalid under that thinking as well.
    Sounds like a historical footnote waste of time to me.

The real 1-credit scores are already tracks here with clear notation. David Gomez holds honors at 180m on diff 5 and 100m on diff10. All approved through TGSAP.

Good luck folks. signing off.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
  2. 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM
    I forgot to add- It is my understanding that Guinness never had any of these old TG arcade era marathon scores submitted.
    The only Robotron endurance scores they have are from the modern day TGSAP process.

And to add some fun. The Robo player community has reworked the idea of a marathon into more of a fixed end-point gauntlet to 100 million. Same idea as running an ultra-thon race for 100 miles. Playing Robo on diff 5 is no harder after wave 40 about 15 minutes into the game, so there is little skill being shown after 40 waves of marathon other than your ability to build lives or your RQ which is score divided by wave (32k to 34k per wave is where modern day 30-year vets would be playing.) The TG arcade era folks with a year of exposure would have been playing at beginner level marathon RQs likely in the 26k to 28k range. Maybe someone was up to 29-30k, but I'm gonna doubt it.

If you want to engage a good challenge, the VidKidz themselves are sponsoring a year long event for the 35th birthday of Robo. Try to be the fastest to 100m on any platform, any difficulty, any life setting. Only 2 people have made it this year, a title belt is up for grabs, and it ends NYE 2017. Good luck and get to playing. Search for vid-kidz-35th-anniversary-gauntlet-challenge on the guidebook if you wanna learn more. :)
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Thanks redelf, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, JJT_Defender liked this post
  3. 08-02-2017, 08:42 AM
    @1500points Thanks for sharing your valuable insights - please give us more when you have the time!
  4. 08-03-2017, 06:15 AM
    @TarheelKing Brian have you had any luck in unearthing any of the original press coverage?
  5. 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    @TarheelKing Brian have you had any luck in unearthing any of the original press coverage?
    I found an index for the Durham Sun which lists an article with Brian's name on July 2, 1983. Headline "Aiming for Record". Still trying to get a copy in case Brian doesn't have it.
    Thanks Dave Hawksett thanked this post
  6. 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM
    Nice work. At this rate we will be opening a detective agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastaar View Post
    I found an index for the Durham Sun which lists an article with Brian's name on July 2, 1983. Headline "Aiming for Record". Still trying to get a copy in case Brian doesn't have it.
  7. 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM
    So what's the process here for going forward? Clearly the dispute is valid - the score as it is in the database is unquestionably incorrect. But at the same time, there is a valid score according to the rules TG used at the time.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  8. 08-06-2017, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    So what's the process here for going forward? Clearly the dispute is valid - the score as it is in the database is unquestionably incorrect. But at the same time, there is a valid score according to the rules TG used at the time.
    ^^ That is the right question to ask!

To me, the only thing fair to both Brian and current Robotron players is to create a track where "stitched" scores are allowed, and place this score there. That way, anyone wanting to compete on a level playing field with Brian can do so, and those that are restricting themselves to 1 coin drop/no stitching Robotron gameplay are all together competing against like opponents.
  9. 08-07-2017, 04:49 AM
    Clearly the score is incorrect. It is also clear that the incorrectly recorded score is not due to the score holder and was almost certainly a typo. This dispute needs more time to allow old evidence to surface.
  10. 08-07-2017, 08:42 PM
    Pic and blurb from 7/2/83 Durham Sun:

PDF Version

Thanks HugDD, Dave Hawksett thanked this post
    Likes gstrain liked this post
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Join us