Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Robotron: 2084 - Marathon - Player: Brian King - Score: 348691680

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Holland View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why this blatantly obvious valid dispute has not been resolved more than a year after the dispute was initiated?

Nobody is home.
    Thanks Lauren Tyler thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, Lauren Tyler, Marcade liked this post
  2. 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM
    Can't argue with that logic.
    Lauren Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  3. 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM
    Let's all remember that way back when the score was added, achieved or whatever the case, there was probably a lot lower scores at the time. I think this is one of the games where they kept calling TG and upping the scores quite a bit. In Brian's case, why continue to play the game for 3 full days? Seems very impossible to me and if it did happen then he had to have a place to stay open for 3 days, right? No media coverage or write up in any magazine? I think it really does need to be removed but it's just my opinion.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
    Likes datagod, Marcade liked this post
  4. 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    Let's all remember that way back when the score was added, achieved or whatever the case, there was probably a lot lower scores at the time. I think this is one of the games where they kept calling TG and upping the scores quite a bit. In Brian's case, why continue to play the game for 3 full days? Seems very impossible to me and if it did happen then he had to have a place to stay open for 3 days, right? No media coverage or write up in any magazine? I think it really does need to be removed but it's just my opinion.
    yes earlier in the thread it was mentioned the arcade stayed open day and night and even needed to get a special permit for that. proving a negative is tough so i'm not sure why you say no media coverage as its claimed there was media coverage. i wouldnt know how to disprove or how to go about systematically looking through all newspapers at the time. you might be correct about no magazine, again, tough to prove a negative, but i've at least seen no claims of a magazine, so if it was in a magazine noone seems to know about it.

are local newspapers even searchable on line? probably would have to go to the local library and dig through microfilm to thoroughly disprove it.

the permit might be another angle, i dont know alot about law, but are records on permits like that kept around permanently?
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  5. 06-27-2019, 11:18 AM
    Are there any video clips of this that can be posted? Newspaper clippings or anything that can be posted on here to read about it? Even then I really doubt any media would know the difference of 20 million or 300+ million. I sort of think Brian King should just come forward and talk or defend his score.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  6. 06-27-2019, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    Are there any video clips of this that can be posted? Newspaper clippings or anything that can be posted on here to read about it? Even then I really doubt any media would know the difference of 20 million or 300+ million. I sort of think Brian King should just come forward and talk or defend his score.
    Brian DID address the score and his achievement in the dispute. See post #35 on page 4.

Marathon rules at TG were VERY laid back during that time. Eg. Acceptance of continuations via power glitches, long breaks, etc. I DO believe him, in that it all came down to a data entry typo per his own testimony.

I also think the two inevitable choices were to either CORRECT the score, or outright remove it. That didnt happen.
    Instead, the TG decision was creating a separate "stitching" track, just for the sake of preserving an original FALSE historic score. A poor and silly decision in my opinion. Now with an open track like this, ANYONE can go, oh say 1000-2000 hours at their own "continuation pace" in todays environment. (That is if one has the patience to do it)

https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/ro...wed#discussion
  7. 06-27-2019, 12:49 PM
    as marcade points out, brien did come here. i would repeat everything he said, but i tried that in other disputes and if the dispute is already too long to read, just repeating everything multiple times just makes it even harder. i would strongly encourage people to actually read the dispute before guessing on whats in it

i will give this abbreviation though. yes we can prove stitched scores used to be allowed, so whether we like it ornot, it was ok by the rules at the time. proof of this can be found in the thread. as for the clippings, they are claimed to exist, but none of have been shown in this thread so far.

i know at one point tg "corrected" the score by guessing the 80 was 75, and in classic ref style they "rounded" to a beleivable score. awful procedure of course, rounding known false scores. turns out, brien said his score ended in 00, to me that makes far more sense for a data entry error, someon confusing an 8 with a 0
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
  8. 11-18-2019, 02:32 PM
    Based on the presented evidence in the dispute claim thread, this dispute has been found to be valid.
    Thanks datagod, Chrispy, Garrett Holland, Fly thanked this post
    Likes datagod, Barra liked this post
  9. 11-18-2019, 02:38 PM
    Excellent!!
    Please forward all complains to the corruption and collusion department
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

10. 11-18-2019, 11:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TWIN GALAXIES View Post
    Based on the presented evidence in the dispute claim thread, this dispute has been found to be valid.
    So, what's going to happen?

Or have I missed the verdict?

john

Likes EVN liked this post
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
Join us