Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Alpine Ski - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Eric Olofson - Score: 500,774

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. 01-10-2020, 10:27 AM
    This is great info, thanks
    The Evener
    for posting it.
    I find 1 discrepancy in the story. I have a local newspaper clipping of Eric saying (and if I remember correctly) he said "he had only put about 20 quarters in alpine ski before he got the record". the above post is saying he played and played until he got 500k. Him playing and playing sounds more legit than what he said to the newspaper reporters.

****So back to the dispute.
    I did a screen capture of the levels to calculate all the points possible a player could get on each level.
    I also did runs straight thru each screen as fast as I could, not collecting any points, on invincible to see "speed" points.
    I also collulated how many snowman levels ( Snowman level = tree level + Flag level + bonus level) you could get by going as fast as you can on invincible with Twin Galaxy settings.
    *You can only get to snowman level 11.

My findings of total points possible =
    Tree/rocks level
    *straight thru slow speed no points collected= 260 points possible
    *straight thru Fast speed no points collected= 7,000 points possible

*collecting all points possible going slow the whole screen= 12,260 points possible
    *If it would be possible - collecting all points going fast the whole screen= 19,000 points possible

Flag level
    *straight thru slow speed no points collected = 260 points possible
    *straight thru Fast speed no points collected = 7,000 points possible

*collecting all points possible going slow and hitting no flags = 9,000 points possible
    *If it would be possible - collecting all points possible, going fast the whole screen, and hitting no flags = 16,000 points possible

The math:
    tree 19,000+
    flag 16,000+
    bonus 2000 =
    37,000 a snowman level+
    11 snowman levels = 407,000‬

Findings note: I know for a fact you can not get a perfect score on this game. You have to slow down now and then, and on the tree level to get a perfect score you would need to jump a few trees or rocks.

My conclusion:
    It's impossible to get over 407,000 on Alpine Ski with the current Twin Galaxy settings.
    so the world record was done on an easier setting. Probably the easiest time settings

It may be possible to get over 500,000 on the easiest time settings where you can get upto 15 snowmen levels.
    math for easiest time settings.
    tree 19,000+
    flag 16,000+
    bonus 2000 =
    37,000 a snowman level+
    15 snowman levels = 555,000.

please tell me what you think of my findings. I feel they are solid but please put holes in it if you can find something wrong.

Thanks
    Sam
    Sam McNear
    On (Digital Jazz Arcade) Twitch, FaceBook, and YouTube
    Thanks The Evener, Barra thanked this post
  2. 01-10-2020, 10:30 AM
    This is great info, thanksThe Evener for posting it.<br>I find 1 discrepancy in the story. I have a local&nbsp; newspaper clipping of Eric saying (and if I remember correctly) he said "he had only put about 20 quarters in alpine ski before he got the record".&nbsp; the above post is saying he played and played until he got 500k. Him playing and playing sounds more legit than what he said to the newspaper reporters.&nbsp;<br><br>****So back to the dispute.&nbsp;<br>I did a screen capture of the levels to calculate all the points possible a player could get on each level.<br>I also did runs straight thru each screen as fast as I could, not collecting any points, on invincible to see "speed" points.<br>I also collulated how many snowman levels ( Snowman level = tree level + Flag level + bonus level) you could get by going as fast as you can on invincible with Twin Galaxy settings.<br>*You can only get to snowman level 11.&nbsp;<br><br>My findings of total points possible =<br>Tree/rocks level<br>*straight thru slow speed no points collected= 260 points possible<br>*straight thru Fast speed no points collected= 7,000 points possible<br><br>*collecting all points possible going slow the whole screen= 12,260 points possible<br>*If it would be possible - collecting all points going fast the whole screen= 19,000 points possible<br><br>Flag level<br>*straight thru slow speed no points collected = 260 points possible<br>*straight thru Fast speed no points collected = 7,000 points possible<br><br><strong></strong>*collecting all points possible going slow and hitting no flags = 9,000 points possible<br>*If it would be possible - collecting all points possible, going fast the whole screen, and hitting no flags = 16,000 points possible<br><br>The math:<br>tree 19,000+<br>flag 16,000+<br>bonus 2000 =<br>37,000 a snowman level+<br>11 snowman levels =&nbsp;407,000‬<br><br>Findings note: I know for a fact you can not get a perfect score on this game. You have to slow down now and then, and on the tree level to get a perfect score you would need to jump a few trees or rocks.&nbsp;<br><br>My conclusion:<br>It's impossible to get over 407,000 on Alpine Ski with the current Twin Galaxy settings.<br>so the world record was done on an easier setting. Probably the easiest time settings&nbsp;<br><br>It may be possible to get over 500,000 on the easiest time settings where you can get upto 15 snowmen levels.&nbsp;<br>math for easiest time settings.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;tree 19,000+<br>flag 16,000+<br>bonus 2000 =<br>37,000 a snowman level+<br>15 snowman levels =&nbsp;555,000.<br><br>please tell me what you think of my findings. I feel they are solid but please put holes in it if you can find something wrong.&nbsp;<br><br>Thanks&nbsp;<br>Sam
    Sam McNear
  3. 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM
    Nice to see some of the math for this game, laid it out pretty good.

Could you do the work up on the point pressing, why it doesn't work or what you found does work but not enough points for the time loss or whatever. Why only 11 levels with the smaller amount of time added compared to 15 levels.

Was nice to hear about Eric's side of his score, need to hear more about the way he played and what his methods were. It sounds like he just goes down the track as fast as possible with no point pressing. Sounds like he is going to do some playing and such to also get to the bottom of it.
    Thanks sammcnear thanked this post
    Likes sammcnear liked this post
  4. 01-11-2020, 01:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sammcnear View Post
    My conclusion:
    It's impossible to get over 407,000 on Alpine Ski with the current Twin Galaxy settings.
    so the world record was done on an easier setting. Probably the easiest time settings
    Thanks for running through these calculations!

To clarify for my own understanding, how would the DIPs affect your findings if DIP A had 1 on and 2 off set, thereby awarding 1000-2500 points? In an earlier post you mentioned that the current rules indicate to use those dips but erroneously indicates they would result in 800-2000 points.
  5. 01-11-2020, 01:41 PM
    The scoop with point pressing.
    When point pressing say getting the 1500 pond then the 300 after then crash. This gives 1800 points, which is the largest point press you can do. So when you crash it starts you before the 1500 and 300 so you can do this crash and repeat.

The problem with this is every time you crash you lose 10 seconds of time. Yes you can get over 10k doing this before the 2:00 minutes is up, but every time you crash your time gets faster. Not sure how fast but it gets faster.

I tried this point pressing in different ways. 1st try was on the 1st screen I got 114,000. I also tried doing this starting at level 6. This didn't get me much more points. So this point pressing is not the answer for getting a score over 200,000.
    Sam McNear
  6. 01-11-2020, 06:04 PM
    The story is cute and all, but does nothing to show how the score would be possible. Especially back in the times where scores were in my opinion more fantasy than reality. They should have at least made people send in a polaroid photo like I had to when I had beaten the goal scores on atari 2600 games to get sent a patch or whatever it was.

Even if we look at the rules as written for the time, with the information given by RTM, I can only reach the conclusion that this score was not possible given the settings that were required for a valid entry. As was stated by someone else, the score is in fact possible. However the settings by which the score is possible are not the correct settings for a valid score entry here.

Tl;dr - I will be voting yes as I believe there is enough evidence presented to show that this score is not done under the correct settings for approval.
  7. 01-12-2020, 03:26 PM
    OK here is the discrepancies in the T.G. dip switch settings

T.G. Dip switch settings instructions
    Dip-Switch Bank A:
    1 = ON1
    2 = OFF1

3 = NOT USED
    4 = ON
    5 = OFF
    6-8 = OFF
    Dip-Switch Bank B:
    1-8 = ON
    Dip-Switch Bank C:
    1-2 = ON
    3 = OFF
    4 = ON
    5-6 = OFF
    7 = ON2
    8 = OFF
    Note: The above Dip Switches, when properly designated, will give the following Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings, used for this title;
    800-2000 Point Bonus For A Successful Downhill Jump1
    2 Minute Starting Timer
    1st Game Extension @ 10,000 Points
    2nd Game Extension @ 10,000 Points

Alpine Ski Manual

1As you can see in the manual tables below “Dip switch A” with dips 1 “ON” and 2 “OFF” will give you “Point Bonus For A Successful Downhill Jump” of 1000-2500, not the T.G. desired settings of 800-2000

2 As you can see in the manual tables below “Dip switch C” with dips 7 “ON” says No hit is normal. This is confusing but with dip 7 “ON” you are invincible and cannot crash or hit anything (No HIT). If you have it “OFF” you can hit trees, etc.., and crash. Don’t ask me why Taito put it in the manual this way, it seems backwards to me.
    Name:  AlpineSkiManual.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  189.4 KB
    Sam McNear
  8. 03-16-2020, 01:36 PM
    There is good info here but based on what is presented it is difficult to objectively rule out this performance as absolutely impossible.

Is there any more information that the community can provide on this?
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  9. 03-16-2020, 01:41 PM
    For clarity, I have read @freeko statement:

Even if we look at the rules as written for the time, with the information given by RTM, I can only reach the conclusion that this score was not possible given the settings that were required for a valid entry. As was stated by someone else, the score is in fact possible. However the settings by which the score is possible are not the correct settings for a valid score entry here.

However I can't find the data that objectively demonstrates this. I may have skipped over something. Can you please direct me?
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  10. 03-16-2020, 01:47 PM
    Just for some quick info, Sam Mcnear is in process of fixing his boards, he has 2 fixed of 3 and he also has 2 machines. He has each rom version. With the pending lockdown of the country I'm sure he will have more time to play and will provide some new evidence for or against this claim.
    Thanks Jace Hall thanked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us