Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Alpine Ski - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Eric Olofson - Score: 500,774

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll
  1. 03-24-2020, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redelf View Post
    Just for some quick info, Sam Mcnear is in process of fixing his boards, he has 2 fixed of 3 and he also has 2 machines. He has each rom version. With the pending lockdown of the country I'm sure he will have more time to play and will provide some new evidence for or against this claim.
    I am playing in my twitch channel "TheClassicArcadeLife", however the alpine ski doesn't stream well. so you will have to deal with lines.

Tell me what you want me to prove, and I can stream that prove. I have some old videos of me on twitch testing theories of game play already and this is how I came up with the highest possible scoring.

Anyway if this score is deemed to be played on an easier dip switch setting I would like to say the same about a few others scores on the board.
    Sam McNear
    On (Digital Jazz Arcade) Twitch, FaceBook, and YouTube
  2. 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM
    see my post on 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM for the math. If you want to see me figuring out this math doing the game play, you can dig through my Twitch videos https://www.twitch.tv/theclassicarcadelife/videos All the tests should still be there.

I can do more testing if you wish just tell me what you really want to see.
    Sam McNear
  3. 04-20-2020, 06:37 PM
    Yes, I can respond now. I guess I wasn't verified before so I could not respond.

I am the Eric Olofson that achieved the score back in the day. 500k is possible because I have done it. I stand by everything I said that was posted earlier that someone had shared from my Facebook page.

I am questioning my score as related to the dip switch settings. I still haven't come to a firm conclusion but what I have read here does make me think that the settings were not original TG dip switch settings.

So to get the 500k score I had to play a game with no crashes and getting every point I could while keeping that button pressed down as much as possible. If you want to see my game play it is on my Facebook page somewhere in there. My goal was always to get over 30k per stage. I would have to play more on video to go back and get an average per stage.

Responding to a couple of things I read earlier in the dispute. In an article I said I had spent around $20 in the game. The article also stated that i was unemployed and housing challenged. So spending 20 bucks was lot for me. A lot of people gave me tokens during that time and I was trying to impress the reporter that was interviewing me.

My M.A.M.E score was also mentioned. I think it is around officially 147K. I have gone up to about 180K but have yet to break 200K on M.A.M.E. I have been able to play an actual arcade Alpine Ski and I think my high score on that was about 224K on the correct dip switch settings. Since Arcade Expo hasn't happened this year due to COVID19 I haven't been able to get back to it yet and try other dip switch settings. Having a job and home to take care of nowadays doesn't make it easy.

I do have to say that if my score is invalid at these dip switch settings than some of the scores underneath me would be invalid also. If that is true than it would have been impossible for me to beat the score that is 2nd on the list because that score would have been invalid also during that time period. These top scores were all in the 80's.

Someone also mentioned that the dip switch setting in the easier positions. lets break that down.
    Game play between stages does not change in difficulty. The only thing that changes in the game during the levels is the order of screens that come down each level. The only thing that changes is the amount of time you play. If you have to play longer without crashing and getting all the points that is harder than playing less time and getting less points. So I do argue that if my score was achieved on other dip switch settings that it is a more difficult setting and not easier.

Where we go from here is up to you guys. I will answer any question posed to me. I will either keep trying to beat my score on the TG settings or try other settings to see what happens. I am hoping to do that when Museum of Pinball opens again and I can play the game and hopefully get some recordings. Maybe somehow I can get a cab to play on at home.

it is difficult to defend something that is so long ago. I would like to know the truth also. No matter what you guys decide I will still pursue an answer.

If it is deemed that my score was not achieved on these settings can the score be counted on the settings they were achieved on? Like a marathon score?

I will abide by any decision you make in this matter.

Thanks
    Eric Olofson
    Thanks redelf, Barra, The Evener, sammcnear thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, sammcnear liked this post
  4. 04-26-2020, 12:55 PM
    Eric, Thanks so much for replying.

I do have a few questions for you :)

1. Do you have a picture of the score on the machine from back when? or any pic of a score over 400k?

2. I agree that scores below yours on the T.G. board would have to be disputed as well. So what score would you think impossible on T.G. setting?

3. Do you live near Oregon? I have an extra Alpine Ski machine I would be happy to loan or sell to let you try and get a no crash game again. I need someone to challenge me to up my score :) friend me on Facebook Sam McNear

4. I have done several no crash games but never came near 500k even on the easiest settings. So I'm just curious how many points you try to get on the tree level? I see you said 30k on a snowman set.

My best 0 crash score during a tournament on setting close to TG settings, was 256,020. The settings for the tournament where only different in that the down hill jump gave you 1000 to 2500 instead of TG settings of 800 to 2000.
    Tournament settings where as follows:
    Point Bonus For A Successful Downhill Jump: 1000-2500
    Game Time (minutes): 2
    First Game Extension: 10,000 points
    Second Game Extension: 10,000 Points

You can see tournament scores here: https://www.battleofthearcades.net/Game/2/24

My best no crash score on easiest settings is 411,369 see pic below.
    On this game I must have not got as many points as you on your 500k score on the tree levels, I think I do ok on the flag level, well maybe?
    Thanks for joining the discussion Eric :)

-Sam McNear
    Name:  Alpine.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  62.4 KB
    Sam McNear
  5. 04-26-2020, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sammcnear View Post
    see my post on 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM for the math. If you want to see me figuring out this math doing the game play, you can dig through my Twitch videos https://www.twitch.tv/theclassicarcadelife/videos All the tests should still be there.

I can do more testing if you wish just tell me what you really want to see.
    My twitch Channel name changed. it's now Digital Jazz Arcade - https://www.twitch.tv/digitaljazzarcade
    sorry for the change but I changed it to the name of my home arcade which works better.

I will try to play so more Alpine Ski this week.
    Sam McNear
  6. 05-03-2020, 05:27 PM
    Hi Sam,

Question #1 I don't have any pics from back then. I don't think there were even disposable cameras back then. I haven't broke 400k since then either. It has only been in the last few years that I have been playing again and that has been hit and miss.

Question #2 Looks like from what you have done, the top 4 scores would have been played on different settings than TG. Still need to play some games like you did to get some numbers going.

Question #3 I live in Southern California. It would be great to have an Alpine Ski. Depends on the cost and working out getting it down here.

Question #4 I don't know the answer to this one. i only ever looked at points per snowman level and never really paid much attention. My only goal was to go as fast as possible and get as many points as possible. I have to work the next couple days and then I am taking some vacation time and during that time I plan on playing some Alpine Ski and mess around with the settings in MAME. I will have some recordings and will look at the math to, we will see what happens.

I do remember the downhill jump always being 2000 points max.

Great job on your scores so far.

See ya on the slopes.
    Eric
    Thanks redelf, sammcnear thanked this post
    Likes sammcnear liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Join us