Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Alpine Ski - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Eric Olofson - Score: 500,774

Is this a valid dispute?

You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
You may not vote on this poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Alpine Ski - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Eric Olofson - Score: 500,774

08-27-2017, 05:32 PM
    Arcade - Alpine Ski - Points [Tournament Settings]
    Score Track
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=634
    Rules
    Dip-Switch Bank A:
    1 = ON
    2 = OFF
    3 = NOT USED
    4 = ON
    5 = OFF
    6-8 = OFF
    Dip-Switch Bank B:
    1-8 = ON
    Dip-Switch Bank C:
    1-2 = ON
    3 = OFF
    4 = ON
    5-6 = OFF
    7 = ON
    8 = OFF
    Note: The above Dip Switches, when properly designated, will give the following Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings, used for this title;
    800-2000 Point Bonus For A Successful Downhill Jump
    2 Minute Starting Timer
    1st Game Extension @ 10,000 Points
    2nd Game Extension @ 10,000 Points
    Player Name
    Eric Olofson
    Original Adjudication
    N/A
    Verification Method
    Referee
    Verification Date
    1982-11-23
    Disputed Score
    500,774 (Rank 1)
    Disputed By
    redelf
    Dispute Evidence / Rationale
    I'm just getting this dispute started for later when the other guys with more info chime in, since they don't have enough ranking to start a dispute.

Suffice it to say thought that this score was not done on these settings. I don't have the proof or support but if the others want to chime in they will provide their knowledge and proof.
    Likes sammcnear liked this post
  2. 05-17-2018, 04:55 PM
    Is this a case of newer rules and dips that came into play well after this score was accepted?
  3. 08-07-2018, 12:22 PM
    I know this score to be impossible using the dips in the rules so I'll vote Yes. Have you talked to Sam or anyone else who can give the run down on this? The dispute is almost a year old but no evidence has been presented.
    "Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good"

Visit my YouTube channel for videos of over 150 classic arcade games, most of which you won't see at your local arcade. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4...56xV5To9gPqsLA
    Likes sammcnear liked this post
  4. 12-27-2019, 04:29 PM
    ok so I believe this score to be impossible not only on Twin Galaxies setting but probably even impossible on the easiest settings.

so the tests i have done are as follows:
    1. TG settings except I had "no hit" dip switch 7 set ON. Meaning I was invincible and could not crash into trees, rocks, skiers, ect...
    I played and recorded game on twitch channel theClassicArcadeLife. I got 278,306 points. Could I have gotten more points, yes but not much more, and absolutely not 222,000+ more.

2. I put settings all on the easiest including invincible. (not Twin galaxy settings) just to see What I could get. My best score was 411, 369. So even on the easiest settings I couldn't come close to 500,774.

Some things about Alpine ski to consider .
    A. there are 2 rom sets. 1 set has an extra setting that can give you an extra 10 or 20 seconds per screen you complete. the other rom set doesn't give you an option and default to 10 seconds

B. once you get to level 11 no matter what settings you are on the time starts to speed up. (at least on rom set 2 the one I have). on TG settings you will not be able to get past Level 11. on easiest settings you can't get past level 15.

in conclusion: I can't see with this evidence how anyone could get 500,774 on TG settings let along over 300k. This is why I refute the score.

I still want to test the other Rom set.
    Also I want to do one more test. To add up the largest possible score you can get per level for 15 levels and see if it even adds up to 500,774. I have to video tape each level and calculate possible scores. Not an easy task but I will if needed.
    Sam McNear
    On (Digital Jazz Arcade) Twitch, FaceBook, and YouTube
    Thanks D.B. Cooper, Derek, RTM, The Evener thanked this post
    Likes redelf, D.B. Cooper liked this post
  5. 12-27-2019, 05:41 PM
    Eric Olofson also holds the MAME record but it's only 147,426. The MAME record was made on the easier ROM set which gives you 20 seconds after every screen. I find it suspicious that he could not do better than that on an easier rom setting. Yes he may have lost his skills since MAME record was made in 2010 (28 years later than the arcade). I need to get my hands on a MAME cab to see the difficulty differences.
    Sam McNear
    On (Digital Jazz Arcade) Twitch, FaceBook, and YouTube
    Likes D.B. Cooper liked this post
  6. 12-27-2019, 05:55 PM
    Does anyone know what the previous settings were for this game? If any existed, that is.
Join us