Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 09-24-2019, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    1. "I didn't know I was playing on MAME".

[...]

The first one is not something that can be entertained or proven/disproved by either side.

I've seen this come up again recently. Sounds like Team Billy had yet another flick of the old defense-of-the-day spinny wheel from before.

Anyway, I think we can toss that right out, thanks in part to Billy's own assertions and his evidence submission. They sent the board to Nintendo to have it verified, which according to them it was, and then it was padlocked at the scene by a mysterious unnamed Game Stop manager, etc. And now we actually have photos of the shipping label from this endeavor. So either Billy is fabricating or misrepresenting a whole bunch of corroborating evidence and (along with his witnesses) falsifying a host of other stories, or the game board they had in their possession at that time was indeed an authentic DK PCB.

Plus, while I'm not a tech, I'm highly skeptical someone with enough know-how to set up this direct feed wouldn't have noticed the board they were hooking it up to was a bootleg (assuming such a bootleg was even capable of being hooked up in that manner). So this bootleg was convincing enough to pass for the real thing, yet its architecture was different enough that it captured frames in snapshots rather than a left-to-right sweep like arcade? And somehow this got by Wayne at Nintendo? For the same reason, something like a multicade MAME machine is right out.

The game play was produced on MAME, and not at the time and location to which it was claimed or the manner in which was claimed. (At least, that's in regards to the 1.05m and the 1.062m scores. The claimed circumstances behind the 1.047m are vague enough that I'll set that story aside.) Yes, there are signed witness statements, but either they didn't know what they were seeing, or there was some chicanery involved (a MAME replay piped through a TV and monitor with Billy mimicking joystick inputs), or perhaps some people outright lied. The permanent evidence trumps anything people think they saw or think they remember. Witnesses put people in prison. DNA sets them free.

It's similar in a way to Todd Rogers. If Todd had just said "Yeah, I got this fluke 5.51 once, just that one time, and I don't know how I did it," maybe you could believe it was some cosmic bit flip or something. But he stressed its authenticity by claiming to get it three different times, at three different locations, on three different pieces of hardware, in some attempt to eliminate any doubt. Meanwhile, Billy for years has stressed that it had to be nothing other than an authentic Donkey Kong PCB by going through all these seemingly foolproof steps for it. Like Todd, Billy gave us no choice but to know that he's a cheater.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
  2. 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Richard View Post
    If Roy's story gets picked up it exposes the other missile command players. And that jeff Blair is the best player all time. I have not decided if I will ever tell this story.
    THAT is interesting. Please share more, when you are ready.

Dont romanticize roy you have know idea what your talking about.
    I am pretty sure Roy is only being brought up to trigger those who worked hard to remove him from both the site and the time-space continuum.

This has wasted too many people's time. This my one and only post. Dwayne
    You posted this twice. lol
    Your friend, datagod
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

Likes Snowflake liked this post
  3. 09-24-2019, 12:01 PM
    If Roy's story gets picked up it exposes the other missile command players. And that jeff Blair is the best player all time. I have not decided if I will ever tell this story.

Dont romanticize roy you have know idea what your talking about.

I get tired of self righteous f ucks telling me what happened when I was there and you weren't. This doo doo is coming to an end legally one way or the other.

This has wasted too many people's time. This my one and only post. Dwayne
    expose 'em all. If anyone sits on stories protecting others it just plays into billy's narrative that its all personal and about jealousy. If however even is held to the same standards, as we all should be, then billy loses all claim to that defense.
    If you have enjoyed this comment please consider clicking the "like" button
    Thanks datagod thanked this post
  4. 09-24-2019, 04:22 PM
    For those tracking such minutiae, Billy Jr's game play analysis bumped up from 84 pages to 85 pages yesterday. Without going through the entire document looking for changes, the only thing that's noticeable is an added FAQ page at the end, currently with no questions:

Name:  58 - Billy Jr added page.png
Views: 364
Size:  10.2 KB
    Thanks The Evener, Mitch Mitchell thanked this post
    Likes benasselstine, Rev John liked this post
  5. 09-24-2019, 10:09 PM
    I just came across this post at forums.marpirc.net:

by AL » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 am

"I saw Billy Mitchell do some serious damage with the hammer on the barrel levels when he showed his 1,047,000 score at the CGEUK2005 event.

Gotta say, amazing stuff."

Alex Weir also asked about the event at TG forum, which is found here:

https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...9-CGE-UK-Event

In my earlier searches, I overlooked this event. Although known by others, I also overlooked the fact that Mitchell personally oversaw a public playback of his 1.047m tape outside of Funspot, let alone overseas in 2005.

I found a two-part video upload on YouTube about the event.

CGEUK 2005 - Part 1 (published 17 Feb 2011) - please click image to start video

According to this article, CGEUK 2005 took place on Saturday, August 13, 2005.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ayers-together

The video begins with a panel discussion with TG gamers. It's an interesting historical document at a time when TG was promoting its presence and fostering wider awareness about classic gaming competition. Mitchell is asked a few questions, and there's a passing reference to a documentary film crew who was filming at his house, and an anecdote where they ask Billy Jr (then 6 years old) whether his father is the world's best video game player, prompting the response, "Well, he's the best Pac-Man player but I beat him at all my games." I personally enjoyed seeing and hearing from Doris Self and her love of Q*bert.

CGEUK 2005 - Part 2 (published 17 Feb 2011) - please click image to start video

The second video is basically a "walk thru" of the exhibition floor, and begins in the arcade area. You can see TG members including Walter Day. There's a long table covered with the Stars and Stripes, and at the 22 second mark one can see a TV set that is showing playback of a Donkey Kong game. The TV is set up in standard position (rather than on its side like at Funspot) but one can see that the image rotation matches a MAME-generated gameplay recording, which matches the orientation of the playback seen at Funspot during KoK and in the MTV interview.

Mitchell DK Playback at CGEUK 2005:
    Name:  CGEUK2005.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  52.0 KB

Mitchell DK Playback at Funspot in KoK:
    Name:  MAMEcompare.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  54.3 KB

With further searching, I also came across a series of CGEUK photos at classicgaming.com; there was a photo of the 1.047 playback just before the kill screen, which matches TG's video of the 1.047m score.

CAG Photo of Mitchell's CGEUK 2005 1.047 m recording:
    Name:  CGEUK2005_CAG.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  47.6 KB

TG Video still from Mitchell's DK 1.047m recording:
    Name:  TG_BM104m.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  41.7 KB

Does anyone recall attending CGEUK 2005 and the context of the playback cited at the time? It would be interesting if there was any extended video of the playback, although any existing footage is probably found on camcorder tape. At minimum, it strains belief to think that Mitchell presented the video by assuring the crowd that the video was just for fun and the *real* reigning champion and DK champ was Steve Wiebe, rather than explaining that it was the highest score ever recorded and hinting that this video would eventually be adjudicated as a WR performance.

And for reference, a final photo of the Guinness World Book of Records 2007, confirming the entry of Mitchell's 1,047,200 score among a list of the "30 greatest video arcade game scores of all time, as chosen by Twin Galaxies."

Name:  Guinness2007.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  98.6 KB
  6. 09-25-2019, 12:32 AM
    Holy cow! That is amazing! That's from before even the MTV thing. Excellent work, finding that. It's a shame we don't see anything of note except the orientation, but just its existence is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    Does anyone recall attending CGEUK 2005 and the context of the playback cited at the time? It would be interesting if there was any extended video of the playback, although any existing footage is probably found on camcorder tape. At minimum, it strains belief to think that Mitchell presented the video by assuring the crowd that the video was just for fun and the *real* reigning champion and DK champ was Steve Wiebe, rather than explaining that it was the highest score ever recorded and hinting that this video would eventually be adjudicated as a WR performance.

Hahaha, that's great. Wonder why this important screening got left out of Billy's affidavits when he was so careful to explain Kuh's disclaimer at Funspot.

There's yet another implication here, though. Allow me to draw the reader back to page 10 of the original evidence packet:

Name:  59 - I thought you said Mruczek took the tape.png
Views: 334
Size:  114.9 KB

So Mruczek took the tape from Funspot? Except Kuh still has it? Or maybe this was a new tape Billy sent to Kuh right after Kuh gave Mruczek the other tape? But then why would they say there wasn't another copy? Is Dwayne screwing with the timeline again? No, wait! I've got it! Brian Kuh IS Robert Mruczek!! That's the answer! They've been the same person all along! Have you ever seen them in the same room at the same time? Neither have I. Case closed, restore the scores.
    Thanks The Evener thanked this post
    Likes Barra, lexmark, The Evener, vtlmks liked this post
  7. 09-25-2019, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Evener View Post
    And for reference, a final photo of the Guinness World Book of Records 2007, confirming the entry of Mitchell's 1,047,200 score among a list of the "30 greatest video arcade game scores of all time, as chosen by Twin Galaxies."

Name:  Guinness2007.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  98.6 KB

RTM REPLY - this post begs to ask the question...why, after this was released to Guinness by TG, did Billy not raise the red flag right then and there and complain that the 1.047M was never submitted to TG ?

The answer may be quite simple...the score wasn't digitally analyzed back then to catch that girder-finger things and other tell-tale signs, and likely it was never counted on being analyzed as such back then.
    Thanks Robert.F, JJT_Defender thanked this post
  8. 09-25-2019, 10:25 AM
    Whoah !! This is what I just saw immediately after hitting "POST" before...and not the first time I've seen this in the past week either.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  578.0 KB
  9. 09-25-2019, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - this post begs to ask the question...why, after this was released to Guinness by TG, did Billy not raise the red flag right then and there and complain that the 1.047M was never submitted to TG ?

The answer may be quite simple...the score wasn't digitally analyzed back then to catch that girder-finger things and other tell-tale signs, and likely it was never counted on being analyzed as such back then.
    Todd Rogers pulled the same thing of allowing bogus records to stand for DECADES on his behalf, and ONLY started making statements (lies) when several of them were proven to be impossible under TG rules. The 32.04 on Barnstorming was a classic example. If it was a clerical error as Ron confessed, Todd sure didn't seem to mind that it favored him by 0.70 and didn't do anything to step up and say it was wrong.
    Thanks Robert.F thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats, RTM, Rev John, Robert.F liked this post
  10. 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM
    The above is important because years after Todd's records were exposed, he was allowed to referee verify Billy's 1.06 million score. By that point, Todd should never been allowed anywhere near a referee uniform. What was Walter thinking?
    Likes ersatz_cats, vtlmks liked this post
Page 374 of 378 FirstFirst ... 274 324 364 372 373 374 375 376 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 3774
Page 374 of 378 FirstFirst ... 274 324 364 372 373 374 375 376 ... LastLast
Join us