Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

Members banned from this thread: Almighty Dreadlock

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 09-27-2019, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    Could you calculate a more precise date? I've searched out what you've said about that event, but cannot match it a specific date. I've been experimenting with different versions of MAME, and having that date would help.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I know for a fact that the Lincoln Center event took place in August of 2004...it's been 15 years so a more precise date I have not committed to memory BUT there may be some much older forum posts that contained this information. Short of contacting the person who worked at Lincoln Center at the time (Graham Leggert or Leggett, something like that) I don't have personal records or E-MAILs saved dating back that far, sorry.

I think this event occured in mid-July 2004, and the specific video game showcase happened on July 18, 2004:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040908...px?c=19&id=854

7/16/2004
    Twin Galaxies Supplies Footage for 12th New York Video Festival
    Video Game Champs Win Big Media Attention
    by Walter Day

Fairfield, Iowa -- July 16, 2004 -- Significant video game world records culled from Twin Galaxies' famous archives of videotaped game performances will be viewed this weekend as part of the 12th Annual New York Video Festival, in New York's famous Lincoln Center.

Walter Day, editor of the forthcoming edition of Twin Galaxies' Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records, says: "This is a big breakthrough for all gamers who want their skills to be recognized by the mainstream media. I believe the presentation will be spellbounding as footage is viewed showing world class performances on games as contemporary as today's Tomb Raider and Resident Evil, plus vintage standards like Billy Mitchell's famous 'perfect' Pac-Man game."

The event is scheduled for Sunday, July 18, at 9:00 PM. The Lincoln Center is located between West 62nd and 65th Streets and Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues. Attended by an audience of film, design, music, and art professionals, as well as avid gamers and the general public, in the Lincoln Center's acclaimed Walter Reade Theatre, the Festival will host a weekend program titled: GAME ENGINE 2: OUT IN THE WORLD, which explores the psyche of today's gaming world.

To explain the theme behind Game Engine 2, Graham Leggat, of the Lincoln Center, says: "As video games continue to emerge into and energize mainstream culture, the stereotype of the gamer as a basement-dwelling shut-in is giving way to a new appreciation of the extraordinary talents of the teeming hordes playing games and working in the game industry."

Both Walter Day and Pac-Man champ Billy Mitchell will address the Festival, introducing a segment titled: World Record and Professional Gaming, which reveals the genius behind all videogame superstars. Twin Galaxies and G4TechTV supplied the footage for this portion of the event.

"By showing footage of the greatest video game accomplishments of the last 20 years," explains Day, "it can be shown that there is deep intelligence involved in solving complicated video games." Many of the gaming superstars to be examined during the presentation -- like the gifted Morrow brothers of Denton, Texas -- will be appearing in the forthcoming 2nd edition of Twin Galaxiesí Official Video Game & Pinball Book of World Records, which is the industry's official record book.

For information on the 12th Annual New York Video Festival, go to The Film Society of Lincoln Center at www.filmlinc.com, or contact Graham Leggat at 212/875-5416. or by email at gleggat@filmlinc.com.

http://www.aboutlincolncenter.org/pr...om/release/334

NEW YORK VIDEO FESTIVAL

Walter Reade Theater, 165 West 65th Street

July 14 through July 18

Tickets: All screenings: $10; $7 for students; $6 for Film Society members and co-sponsoring organizations; $5 for seniors at weekday matinees. Tickets are available at www.filmlinc.com and at the Walter Reade Box Office on June 23; tickets available by phone beginning July 7 by calling 212-496-3809.

The New York Video Festival is a highlight of the multimedia/video arts world, highly-anticipated by artists, directors, and fans of this most contemporary of art forms. In recent years, it has featured works by acclaimed artists such as Miranda July, George Kuchar, Guy Maddin, Redvs Blue, and many more.

The 2004 New York Video Festival, which runs from July 14 through July 18 at the Walter Reade Theater, will feature cutting edge work by masters of the genre and newly discovered young Turks. Perennial favorite Armond White will discuss and present the newest music videos and the Video Festival will continue its explorations into the brave new world of video gaming. Many artists will attend and take part in lively discussions.

A co-presentation of The Film Society of Lincoln Center and Lincoln Center Festival

Film Society of Lincoln Center General Information call: 212-875-5600.
    Likes ersatz_cats, The Evener, Snowflake liked this post
  2. 09-27-2019, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I know for a fact that the Lincoln Center event took place in August of 2004...it's been 15 years so a more precise date I have not committed to memory BUT there may be some much older forum posts that contained this information. Short of contacting the person who worked at Lincoln Center at the time (Graham Leggert or Leggett, something like that) I don't have personal records or E-MAILs saved dating back that far, sorry.

This guy?
    [Leggat] also held positions at the Museum of Modern Art and Film Society of Lincoln Center, wrote a New York Daily News column about the video game industry, was publisher of Film Comment and contributing editor to Filmmaker magazine, and sat on a variety of boards of nonprofits and film festivals, focusing on video, shorts and indie films.

I tried the Wayback Machine for lincolncenter.org, but the snapshots appear to be mostly broken. The New York Daily News archive is sparse in that time period.

Any other detail might help me find a scrap on the intertubes. What was the name of the event? Who sponsored it? How many days did it run? Weekday or weekend? You've mentioned that Billy Mitchell, Walter Day and Zack Hample were there. Any other names to toss in the mix? Proper names are gold when searching for a germane bit.

My apologies if this has taken on the flavor of an interrogation--any nudge would be appreciated.
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  3. 09-27-2019, 08:33 AM
    Oops! I should really have refreshed the thread before posting my reply. Thanks, Xelnia.
  4. 09-27-2019, 09:35 AM
    New video by Apollo:
    Thanks Rev John, kidigus, Robert.F thanked this post
  5. 09-27-2019, 11:13 AM
    Oh geez...just saw this now as I was trying to look up details on my recollection of that event in Lincoln Center...

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment...es-2333395.php

A lot has happened in the 15 years since that event...and in this case the director that arranged the event is unfortunately no longer around to answer any questions.

This is sadly going to happen more and more now that the classic arcade record keeping hobby is nearing its 40th year. Sad but true :(
  6. 09-27-2019, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xelnia View Post
    I think this event occured in mid-July 2004, and the specific video game showcase happened on July 18, 2004

RTM REPLY - thanks for catching...so much for my "knowing for a fact" that it was in August...my earlier statement of "end of July thru August" should have remained as is !!
  7. 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grinder2112 View Post
    Any other detail might help me find a scrap on the intertubes. What was the name of the event? Who sponsored it? How many days did it run? Weekday or weekend? You've mentioned that Billy Mitchell, Walter Day and Zack Hample were there. Any other names to toss in the mix? Proper names are gold when searching for a germane bit

RTM REPLY - "Xelnia" nailed it with those links (thanks !!) as to the precise dates and location info.

My recollection is that at least 1-2 of the Funspot crowd of northeast gamers were in attendance...it is possible that attendees included one or more of the following as they were the ones most likely to travel to such functions back in that era...Jenn Moore, Ken Sweet, Jason and Anna Cram, Brian Kuh. It's very hard to be razor sharp sure but at least one of those was likely there for that event. Odds are that if I wrote a forum post I probably made mention of the attendees...I have to search for sure a thread.
  8. 09-27-2019, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolrah View Post
    [Having compiled MAME] does, however, demonstrate that the kinds of modifications required to allow for "stealth" save/load in MAME are trivial and do not require an advanced understanding of either programming or the MAME codebase. If someone like me with no motivation other than boredom can do it anyone can, especially if they have real personal and/or financial motivations.

I specifically concur with this point, and have worked it out for MAME 0.85 (Aug 7, 2004).

The exact spot to clip the code was easily found by searching the text from MAME's save query. By taking out the save/load result dialog, and leaving in the save/load slot selection dialog, the resulting video is easy to edit, with only 1-2 dropped frames at those cuts.

Here's some bold gameplay through 3 levels of tense Donkey Kong action:

DKONG - 0.046M - No Deaths (Spliced)
    Thanks ersatz_cats, The Evener thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats, Rev John, The Evener, Muerto liked this post
  9. 09-27-2019, 07:46 PM
    Here is the unabridged edition:

DKONG - 0.046M - 17 Deaths
    Thanks ersatz_cats, The Evener thanked this post
    Likes ersatz_cats, The Evener liked this post
  10. 09-27-2019, 09:09 PM
    Today, Twin Galaxies' attorney formally responded to Mr. Mitchell's recent demand letter.

You can find the details of Mr. Mitchell's demand letter here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAW...j5bGovz14/view

The demand letter and evidence package concerned this specific dispute case and it is stated Twin Galaxies policy to always make best efforts to conduct public and transparent discourse on any evidentiary matter concerning a dispute in question. So we provided everything concerning the matter here for review and informative benefit to the public discourse regarding the dispute claim. Certainly, all new and compelling evidence is more than welcome to be accepted and considered in the continuous search for facts and applicable historical data around any score performance.

As such, we feel that it is only fair and appropriate as well as in the public interest for us to also include the official Twin Galaxies formal response to the matter in this dispute thread, which are doing now.

However, before we get to that, there are a few items that should be noted:

1.) Twin Galaxies is always interested in receiving relevant and compelling evidence for any dispute claim discussion. Even if a dispute has been resolved to a definitive outcome supported by incontrovertible evidence by reasonable measure, Twin Galaxies understands that it is always theoretically possible for new discoveries to be made, and welcomes those new discoveries. It is not necessary to hire lawyers and threaten Twin Galaxies out of the blue to get it to review and consider relevant new evidence - all anyone has to do is simply reach out and directly request an opportunity to present the information.

Certainly, in this particular case, many documented gestures were made to encourage participation from all parties throughout the entire investigative period, and when we were specifically asked to not make any decision until the people representing Mr. Mitchell's own investigative efforts could finish their work and provide evidence, Twin Galaxies absolutely waited without any resistance whatsoever.

2.) While being threatened and accused by someone is rarely productive, it is without question that we were genuinely pleased with the promising delivery of Mr. Mitchell's 150+ page evidence package. As been stated many times, Twin Galaxies always takes the position that any score that is in its database is valid until definitively proven otherwise - Mr. Mitchell's new evidence package was a welcome opportunity for Twin Galaxies to consider potentially new evidence discoveries and reconsider the veracity of Jeremy Young's dispute claim assertions.

As such, Twin Galaxies has thoroughly been reviewing the content of Mr. Mitchell's evidence package from the moment it was received in an unbiased and focused manner solely intent on discovering any new revelation or truth that could impact the specific dispute case. Twin Galaxies has completed its review of the materials.

3.) Twin Galaxies would like to thank the gaming community and the participating public at large for their involvement, support and significant contributions to this entire matter. We do understand that there may be some historic wounds associated with this specific dispute, the various people involved, and the potential ramifications of the matter. We apologize for any discomfort that this dispute claim process may have inadvertently stirred and want to express our deep appreciation for everyone's patience and understanding in this matter. It's not easy.

As our community knows, the new era and ownership of Twin Galaxies today is very different from the old previous ownership. There is no ongoing association or relationship between the new ownership and the old ownership, but the fact remains that Twin Galaxies is one continuous entity from front to back spanning 30+ years and it must always take responsibility for its past and its future.

Now while the previous ownership may have made some missteps which the new ownership continues to work through step-by-step over time in great detail to address those items with the community's help, it is important to understand that despite the historic challenges we must face we still wholeheartedly believe in the core vision and full potential of Twin Galaxies' fundamental mission to support increased recognition opportunities for all people who participate in the activity of playing video games. With the help and support of the community, we will continue to work toward that goal.

4.) With the formal response from Twin Galaxies to Mr. Mitchell's demand letter being sent to Mr. Mitchell's attorney, and posted to this dispute thread, we are now closing the dispute thread at this time.

We have created a public forum thread for unofficial discussion of the subject to continue if desired. It can be found here:
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...core-1-062-800

Below, please find a copy of the formal
    response from Twin Galaxies to Mr. Mitchell's demand letter:

Name:  Response re Billy Mitchell [Twin Galaxies]_Page_1.jpg
Views: 13255
Size:  569.9 KB
    Name:  Response re Billy Mitchell [Twin Galaxies]_Page_2.jpg
Views: 12958
Size:  793.5 KB
    Name:  Response re Billy Mitchell [Twin Galaxies]_Page_3.jpg
Views: 12926
Size:  751.3 KB