Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

Members banned from this thread: Almighty Dreadlock

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
This poll is closed
  1. 04-12-2018, 03:04 AM
    Name:  FINAL.png
Views: 2240
Size:  54.5 KB

Summary Decision:

Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell’s’ scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards.

We have notified Guinness World Records of our decision.

On 02-02-2018 Twin Galaxies member Jeremey Young ( @xelnia ) filed a dispute claim assertion against the validity of Billy Mitchell’s historical and current original arcade Donkey Kong score performances of 1,047,200 (the King of Kong "tape"), 1,050,200 (the Mortgage Brokers score), and 1,062,800 (the Boomers score) on the technical basis of a demonstrated impossibility of original unmodified Donkey Kong arcade hardware to produce specific board transition images shown in the videotaped recordings of those adjudicated performances.

Jeremy’s assertion concluded that not only can original Donkey Kong arcade hardware not produce the board transition images shown in the recordings, but that these transitions were actually generated through the use of MAME (emulation software.)

The rules for submitting scores for the original arcade Donkey Kong competitive leaderboards requires the use of original arcade hardware only. The use of MAME or any other emulation software for submission to these leaderboards is strictly forbidden.

Jeremy Young provided his dispute case evidence to the dispute thread for both public and Twin Galaxies scrutiny and review.

Twin Galaxies has meticulously tested and investigated the dispute case assertions as well as a number of relevant contingent factors, such as the veracity of the actual video performances that the dispute claim assertions rely upon.

In addition to Twin Galaxies’ own investigation into the dispute case assertions, at least two different 3rd parties conducted their own explorations and came to identical conclusions.

Most notable was the 3rd party (Carlos Pineiro) that Billy Mitchell engaged to help examine the dispute case claims on his behalf, utilizing whatever original equipment Billy could provide, whose final finding was consistent with Twin Galaxies investigation and others.

Additionally, during the evidence gathering period of this dispute, numerous experts, hobbyists, and casual observers participated and contributed to this investigation.

Here are our specific findings:

- The taped Donkey Kong score performances of 1,047,200 (the King of Kong "tape"), 1,050,200 (the Mortgage Brokers score) that were historically used by Twin Galaxies to substantiate those scores and place them in the database were not produced by the direct feed output of an original unmodified Donkey Kong Arcade PCB.

- The 1,062,800 (the Boomers score) Donkey Kong performance does not have enough of a body of direct evidence for Twin Galaxies to feel comfortable to make a definitive determination on at this time.

- The 1047 and 1050 score performance videos we have in our possession (and are basing our determinations on) are in fact the performances that were used by previous Twin Galaxies administration as justification for those scores to be entered into the database and for Twin Galaxies to attribute those specific accomplishments to Billy Mitchell. We have several different and unique sources of these performances and access to private historical Twin Galaxies referee e-mail distribution records showing where these sources acquired their copies and what the purpose was.

- Of significant note is that it is very straightforward for anyone to check the authenticity of the 1047 performance source tape by just cross-referencing the digital capture video of the performance that has been posted in this dispute thread with the very public “King of Kong” movie gameplay footage along with its DVD extras.

- While we know for certain that an unmodified original DK arcade PCB did not output the display seen in the videotaped score performances, we cannot definitively conclude that what is on the tapes is MAME.

- To definitively conclude that MAME was used, Twin Galaxies would need to comprehensively rule out the possibility of all other methods that could produce what is seen on the tapes. This would mean testing all other emulators other than MAME across all other platforms to eliminate the possibility that a different emu was used. It would also mean testing visual effects software and anything else we can think of to be definitively certain. This kind of testing is beyond the scope of the dispute case needs.

From a Twin Galaxies viewpoint, the only important thing to know is whether or not the score performances are from an unmodified original DK arcade PCB as per the competitive rules. We now believe that they are not from an original unmodified DK arcade PCB, and so our investigation of the tape content ends with that conclusion and assertion.

Twin Galaxies has endeavored to provide a fair opportunity and reasonable amount of time for all sides and interests to present their thoughts and evidence as it has evaluated this dispute claim.

Twin Galaxies has also investigated this matter as comprehensively as reasonably possible to make sure that its findings are as informed as possible.

Throughout every step of this investigation, Billy Mitchell had the opportunity to answer questions and contribute to the public dispute thread. However, he was under no obligation to participate in this dispute thread and as such he chose not to do so.

Twin Galaxies is only looking at the dispute claim assertions about score performances and either validating or refuting those claims specifically - it is not evaluating people.

Twin Galaxies would like to give a huge thank you to all involved in this dispute from all sides. Our community, the DKF community, @xelnia and @YesAffinity specifically and many many others have contributed tremendously and deserve proper and full recognition.

Hopefully it is becoming more and more obvious that we care very much about our scoreboard integrity and will continue to improve it step-by-step, no matter how painful or public it might occasionally be.

This has been said before, but it is important to repeat that Twin Galaxies is dedicated to absolutely rooting out invalid scores from our historic database wherever we find them.

Twin Galaxies’ recent efforts to build a dispute system for the purpose of allowing scores to be questioned in a centralized and documented manner have enabled all of the available evidence regarding Billy Mitchell’s score performances to finally, after many years, be concentrated, examined and discussed by non-anonymous members of the gaming community and Twin Galaxies administration. This system has created a permanent body of evidence for examination.

Anyone looking into their own past with honesty and a desire to improve will likely find things potentially messy and uncomfortable. Twin Galaxies has experienced a nice big dose of that again with this dispute. However, Twin Galaxies understands that this is required for it to continue its commitment to accuracy. As we all have learned, this cannot occur overnight and must be a step-by-step process.

Just as in other disputes, we definitely know that many in the gaming community operate with a general urgency and would have preferred to see this matter resolved more swiftly.

However, Twin Galaxies, as part of a comprehensive process and in its position of authority, must ensure due diligence. Our public documentation of our processes and conclusions are intended to satisfy scrutiny for the long term, so in instances where warranted our comprehensiveness must go above and beyond what would normally satisfy.

Our methodic approach has allowed many things to surface, not only related to this specific score, but other scores as well as some previously never-before-discussed video game related history.

We must repeat, the truth is the priority. That is the concern. Whatever it takes.

Twin Galaxies continues to strive to earn and maintain trust over time by making supportable decisions and taking sensible actions.

With this ruling Twin Galaxies can no longer recognize Billy Mitchell as the 1st million point Donkey Kong record holder. According to our findings, Steve Wiebe would be the official 1st million point record holder.

Thanks again to all who contributed time, effort and expertise to this case.

This dispute is ACCEPTED.

-Twin Galaxies Administration
  2. 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM
    In case anyone is interested, Billy and his son are competing and putting up great scores. It was fun seeing them both in Banning at the Kong Off.
    Please forward all complains to the corruption and collusion department
    Creator of Arcade Retro Clock

3. 09-10-2019, 12:12 AM
    Today we received an official demand letter from Mr. Mitchell's attorney on behalf of Mr. Mitchell himself.

You can find a copy of the demand letter here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAW...ew?usp=sharing

Our legal counsel is currently evaluating it for formal response, and we are reserving all rights.

You can also find a copy of the complete e-mail correspondence between myself and Mr. Mitchell's representation here (read from bottom up):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14vV...ew?usp=sharing

In addition, we were provided a 156 page evidence package that makes numerous sweeping assertions regarding Jeremy Young's dispute claim.

This demand letter and evidence package concerns this specific dispute case and it is stated Twin Galaxies policy to always make best efforts to conduct public and transparent discourse on any evidentiary matter concerning a dispute in question. So we are providing everything concerning this matter here for review and informative benefit to the public discourse regarding the dispute claim. Certainly, all new and compelling evidence is more than welcome to be accepted and considered in the continuous search for facts and applicable historical data around any score performance.

The ability to finally have Mr. Mitchell's full evidentiary contribution to this dispute case is certainly additive and his lawyer has stated that he believes that the material being provided will trigger a different view of the facts.

You can find Mr. Mitchell's evidentiary document that we received here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMb...ew?usp=sharing

It is important to note for full disclosure that we were initially sent a different google drive link that contained a continuously editable version of the document, and we noticed that it had changed since the first time we looked at it, so for the purposes of this dispute thread we have captured what was presented to us and placed it in a non-editable PDF google drive location to preserve what has been presented.

The original google drive link that was provided to us by Mr. Mitchell's representation can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    (We can make no representation that the content at the above link will not change, nor can we represent that this link will remain active and available.)

Additionally, we were sent a document that purports to contain Walter Day's testimony regarding the matter. You can find that document here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDV...ew?usp=sharing

Now we have not had time to fully examine all of the material that has been sent us so we need to take some time to digest, however I did notice that I personally get mentioned a number of times for various reasons, so if there are any specific questions that you would like to ask me in regard to anywhere I am personally mentioned, I am more than happy to clarify any confusion or concern - so please don't hesitate to ask. Twin Galaxies or myself have nothing to hide or obscure at all in this entire matter and it is very important that everything is done as up front and as transparently as possible.

As one final item - since more evidence is now being provided into this dispute thread I would like to encourage @ersatz_cats to formally place and contribute the extensive research he did into this dispute thread so that it can preserved along with all of the other historical data surrounding this dispute claim.

For reference: https://www.twingalaxies.com/ersatzc...billy-mitchell

The community and anyone else who finds interest in this particular dispute are more than welcome to evaluate and provide thoughts/feedback on all the evidence provided here - as Twin Galaxies staff now takes time to digest and analyze Mr. Mitchell's evidence package to determine if what has been provided definitively and effectively refutes Jeremy Young's currently accepted dispute claim.

Thank you.
    Thanks datagod, Barthax, Muerto, MyOwnWorstEnemy, Fly and 4 others thanked this post
    Likes datagod, Barthax, Muerto, John73, Barra and 9 others liked this post
  4. 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM
    Original evidence letter: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kg...hIIlKe6yiES_g1

The original letter has been removed, likely to be edited. The first signed affidavit from Carlos Pineiro WAS NOT signed by Carlos. He has told this to myself and many others. This signature was a FORGERY.
    Donkey Kong: 1,116,400
    Thanks Muerto, Robert.F thanked this post
    Likes Muerto, ersatz_cats, Robert.F liked this post
  5. 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    In addition, we were provided a 156 page evidence package that makes numerous sweeping assertions regarding Jeremy Young's dispute claim.

This demand letter and evidence package concerns this specific dispute case and it is stated Twin Galaxies policy to always make best efforts to conduct public and transparent discourse on any evidentiary matter concerning a dispute in question. So we are providing everything concerning this matter here for review and informative benefit to the public discourse regarding the dispute claim. Certainly, all new and compelling evidence is more than welcome to be accepted and considered in the continuous search for facts and applicable historical data around any score performance.

The ability to finally have Mr. Mitchell's full evidentiary contribution to this dispute case is certainly additive and his lawyer has stated that he believes that the material being provided will trigger a different view of the facts.

You can find Mr. Mitchell's evidentiary document that we received here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMb...ew?usp=sharing

It is important to note for full disclosure that we were initially sent a different google drive link that contained a continuously editable version of the document, and we noticed that it had changed since the first time we looked at it, so for the purposes of this dispute thread we have captured what was presented to us and placed it in a non-editable PDF google drive location to preserve what has been presented.

The original google drive link that was provided to us by Mr. Mitchell's representation can be found here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    (We can make no representation that the content at the above link will not change, nor can we represent that this link will remain active and available.)

Additionally, we were sent a document that purports to contain Walter Day's testimony regarding the matter. You can find that document here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sDV...ew?usp=sharing

Now we have not had time to fully examine all of the material that has been sent us so we need to take some time to digest, however I did notice that I personally get mentioned a number of times for various reasons, so if there are any specific questions that you would like to ask me in regard to anywhere I am personally mentioned, I am more than happy to clarify any confusion or concern - so please don't hesitate to ask. Twin Galaxies or myself have nothing to hide or obscure at all in this entire matter and it is very important that everything is done as up front and as transparently as possible.

As one final item - since more evidence is now being provided into this dispute thread I would like to encourage @ersatz_cats to formally place and contribute the extensive research he did into this dispute thread so that it can preserved along with all of the other historical data surrounding this dispute claim.

For reference: https://www.twingalaxies.com/ersatzc...billy-mitchell

The community and anyone else who finds interest in this particular dispute are more than welcome to evaluate and provide thoughts/feedback on all the evidence provided here - as Twin Galaxies staff now takes time to digest and analyze Mr. Mitchell's evidence package to determine if what has been provided definitively and effectively refutes Jeremy Young's currently accepted dispute claim.

Thank you.
    So there is a document in the PDF file that I have already been told was removed. It was dated 9/8/19 and I've talked to the individual, and he never signed it. It's a forgery. Which is why it's already been removed. I'll see what info I can provide here as proof shortly. As this conversation was private, I don't feel it's appropriate to share screen shots without permission. I'm awaiting that permission.

Definitely some shenanigans taking place here.
    Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...

Thanks Muerto thanked this post
    Likes Muerto liked this post
  6. 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM
    Update:

We received further correspondence intended to establish and enhance the veracity of Mr. Mitchell's evidentiary package from Mr. Mitchell's attorney yesterday, but unfortunately through oversight I failed to post the material into the initial dispute thread entry for full and complete disclosure.

Please see the attached images of the correspondence and official additional legal evidence presented in support of the argument for Twin Galaxies to reverse the acceptance of Jeremy Young's dispute claim and retract.

Also below is a download link to the unaltered document sent to us that was contained in the e-mail:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KBu...ew?usp=sharing

Name:  Email-Regarding-Carlos.png
Views: 1506
Size:  80.3 KBName:  Carlos Pineiro Signed Statement.png
Views: 1507
Size:  383.6 KB
    Likes ersatz_cats liked this post
  7. 09-10-2019, 10:02 AM
    Here we go again...
    But hey, great timing!!! Right when things were starting to get real boring around these parts...

Name:  image.png
Views: 1499
Size:  166.1 KB
  8. 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM
    Jace, there are two claims here I believe I know the answer to but i would love you to officially adress
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAW...j5bGovz14/view

1. It is claimed while evidence against billy was allowed, evidence in billy's favor wasnt allowed. "Throughout the investigation, Twin Galaxies had a double standard. Specific evidence against Mitchell was accepted, while evidence of equal stature was rejected." Thats a pretty bold statement, can you deny or confirm it?
    2. It i claimed that twin galaxies "selected" "the investigator" presumably referencing jeremy. This implies that jeremy was acting on TG's behalf as their investigator opposed to something equivalent to a prosecutor. It also implies that TG sought him out and asked him to make this dispute. Can you elaborate on the point of you "selecting" jeremy as the investigator?
  9. 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM
    my apologies i see you answered that in your response. those claims were so ridiculous i jumped the gun and commented immediately. i will refrain from any other such unneeded questions until i have read everything so as to not waste any further time. apologies again.
  10. 09-10-2019, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Jace, there are two claims here I believe I know the answer to but i would love you to officially adress
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sAW...j5bGovz14/view

1. It is claimed while evidence against billy was allowed, evidence in billy's favor wasnt allowed. "Throughout the investigation, Twin Galaxies had a double standard. Specific evidence against Mitchell was accepted, while evidence of equal stature was rejected." Thats a pretty bold statement, can you deny or confirm it?

2. It i claimed that twin galaxies "selected" "the investigator" presumably referencing jeremy. This implies that jeremy was acting on TG's behalf as their investigator opposed to something equivalent to a prosecutor. It also implies that TG sought him out and asked him to make this dispute. Can you elaborate on the point of you "selecting" jeremy as the investigator?
    I answered these assertions directly in my response to them and those answers, which are contained in the documents available for download have been included and made available in this dispute thread - but for completeness I will answer these questions specifically again here in forum text:

1. ) Only evidence that was presented in this thread was considered in the evaluation process, and that process was open to anyone who wanted to provide relevant evidence to that dispute thread (either directly or thru proxy) – including Mr. Mitchell.

I mention "thru proxy" because ultimately anyone is able to provide evidence, and if someone was uncomfortable themselves for any reason to come to Twin Galaxies and present evidence, they could always have someone else do it for them on their behalf. That was/is permissible.

Mr. Mitchell as well as Walter Day were offered the option (but no obligation) to provide any information they felt relevant on numerous occasions and this is well documented in this thread, emails and text messages.

There was and is absolutely no “double standard” as proposed by Mr. Mitchell or Walter Day, and no evidence was ever disallowed from the dispute thread. Any “eyewitness testimony” or anything else that people wanted to place into consideration for the dispute was always invited and allowed.

There has been no Twin Galaxies agenda other than trying to determine the veracity of Jeremy Young's dispute claim assertions.

2.) Twin Galaxies did not select "Jeremy" or anyone else as it relates to this dispute.

Jeremy Young was the individual who initiated the dispute claim. He did this on his own accord with zero encouragement or correspondence with Twin Galaxies. Jeremy Young performed his own investigation. Twin Galaxies was summoned to examine the veracity of Jeremy's claims, only after enough demonstrable evidence and support warranted Twin Galaxies attention.

For clarity:
    Jeremy Young's initial dispute claim was filed on 08-28-2017. At this time the evidence presented did not rise to a level to warrant Twin Galaxies administrative examination.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...core-1-062-800

It was not until after 02-02-2018 when Jeremy Young posted a substantial amount of detailed evidence in support of his claim that Twin Galaxies administrative verification of the dispute claim started to begin.
    https://www.twingalaxies.com/showthr...l=1#post946633

Twin Galaxies absolutely did not generate the dispute claim nor select any 3rd party investigator for this matter. Once the dispute claim warranted it, Twin Galaxies began it’s own direct investigation with its own original Donkey Kong hardware and technicians. There were no 3rd parties involved with TG’s internal investigation. However, several external 3rd parties decided to do their own investigation based on the facts presented in the dispute claim so they could come to their own determinations and evidence. In fact, I became informed that Mr. Mitchell himself had formed his own 3rd party investigative group with a seasoned technologist named Carlos Pineiro to oversee the effort and provide evidence to the dispute claim thread, which he did (again this is well-documented.) None of the 3rd party activity was created or paid for by Twin Galaxies.

I hope that helped clarify.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
Page 326 of 378 FirstFirst ... 226 276 316 324 325 326 327 328 336 376 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 3771
Page 326 of 378 FirstFirst ... 226 276 316 324 325 326 327 328 336 376 ... LastLast
Join us